Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 Gauge vs Snow
I got extremely lucky this past deer hunting season.

I shot a big doe and in tracking it down I had gotten down on all fours to get under some heavy brush. There was snow on the ground and I obviously got some in the barrel of the shotgun. I didn't even think about getting snow in the barrel. I was to busy tracking the deer and the thought of obstructing the barrel with a little bit of snow didn't even enter my mind.

Well you guess it... the snow had blocked the barrel and the next shot I took blew the end of the barrel apart and cracked it down the lengh about 5 inches.

I wasn't hurt at all. I got extrememly lucky it easily could have backfired on me. Worse yet, no one knew were I was because I had walked well over a mile from my blind tracking the deer. Just wanted to give a friendly reminder to all those hunters out there. If your walking through heavy brush or in the ice and snow check the barrel before you shoot. Otherwise it might be your last.

See attached pic for what a little bit of snow can do to your barrel.

ps... if anyone has a Remington 12 gauge slug barrel laying around the house you don't need anymore LET ME KNOW !!!
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32714;][/center]
[signature]
Yikes![shocked]

You are one lucky man. I have seen the results of that going farther up the barrel. Not a pretty sight.

Your advice about the safety check will be taken well.[cool]
[signature]
NICE I've never blown the end of a barrel up yet. LOL, I'd say you were pretty lucky. If that clog would've been a little further down the barrel, I don't think it would have came out so well. Hopefully with the model gun you have, you can just replace the barrel and press on. [Smile]
[signature]
Yes I can replace just the barrel. I don't use it for anything other than deer hunting so I"m Thinking this time I'm going to go for a riffled barrel instead of the smooth slug one. Of course they are more expensive but if I'm replacing the barrel anyway why not get the one you want right? Now all I have to do is talk the little mrs. into it. [Wink]'

She loves to go fishing with me so there's no problem getting fishing gear but having to come up with extra $$$ for a gun barrel might be just slightly tougher. (Espically after the bonehead move I did on this last one)
[signature]
definably the way to go... if you plan on keeping it long term.

to sell it, you can tell the honey that the riffled barrel is build stronger because it is specifically made for shooting slugs instead of bird shot. Made with a heavier gage rolled steel and then rifling is broached. If it sounds like you have done your home work, selling her on the better barrel will be much easier.

you can also sell her on the added accuracy that a rifled barrel provides... this means less tracking, more steaks roasts and burgers on the table...

one last selling point, a new riffled barrel is a lot cheaper than a new gun...

just don’t go shooting duck and goose loads though your riffled barrel, talk about ruining your investment... the stainless beads will dull the rifling..
[signature]
This might sound weird but when I am hunting and walking through trees and other places where thhings can get into my gun barrel, I put a condom over the top so nothing can get into the barrel.
[signature]
A friend of mine does that. He says it looks ridiculous but it works.
[signature]
jeeeez, save the condoms for vegas. a patch of duct tape works well, and doesnt affect accuracy one bit.
[signature]