Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Royal Trude
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Thought that it was about time that I tied my favorite fly and that is the Royal Wulff. It was until I took a picture of my handy work that I realized that I had a droopy tail. Hey maybe that one too. LOL Next time I won't make that mistake. Any other suggestions from the gallery?[/size][/green][/font] [/center] [center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]BTW this is a picture of a Royal Trude.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32808;][/center]
[signature]
The droopy tail adds character but the nose hairs should be reconcidered.[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]I have been triming my nose hairs. In fact my barber also gets into the act. LOL [Tongue] Hup I smell what you are saying.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]It could be worse. LOL[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32809;]
[signature]
I was only kidding neighbor. lol Actually I have been building up my own collection of nose and ear hairs too.[crazy]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Well some people reach the point when they go into their barber shop and ask to have their eyebrows, nose and ear hairs trimmed. Oh yea pass on the fringe on the top.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
When it gets to that point, then you have the barber move the trimmings from the eyebrows, nose, ears and transplant that to the top of the head.

As soon as those start growin again, then and only then do you save those clippings to use in your fly tying bench.[cool]
[signature]
Isn't that a ROYAL TRUDE? A Royal Wulff has the split wings on the top....right?
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]This is a variation of the original Royal Wulff that is tied with one wing that lies across the body rather than two upright wings. Here is a picture of the fly from a video that I used. However, you are right that it resembles a Royal Trude. Do you think that the fishys will know the difference? If so I'm in trouble. I wouldn't know when to use a trude or a wulff.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32814;][/center]
[signature]
Now look up a royal trude. I am on my lap top so I haven't got all the extras figured out yet.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]You surfaced an interesting point. Most of the images that I found of a royal trude looks like the example of the royal wulff that I posted. However, while many of the royal wulff images were of the traditional variety I did find a number that had the calves hair lying back over the shank the way that the video instructed to do so. So it looks like I can tie two flies for the price of one just by changing it's hairdo.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...the first time that my stylist did my eyebrows I almost jumped.. good thing I didnt cause I would of had chopped up brows... now she routinely does the brows and ear hairs.. she draws the line at the nose hairs though.. [Smile]...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The Royal Family I am use to is the ROYAL TRUDE with calf tail across the back, Then the Royal Wulff with calf tail split on top, then the ROYAL COACHMAN with duck feather wings split on top like a Wulff, and the WET ROYAL COACHMAN with duck feather wings (two) across the back.
Then there is the Royal Humpy which speaks for its self.

That is according to the Book Fly Patterns of Umpqua Feather Merchants....a must have for tiers.[cool]
[signature]
...I knew there wasnt a book that I wanted in my library..

btw..little off topic.. but.. MacLarry, MrsMacLarry, and MacNugget closed the deal and are moving into their new house this weekend... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Right On. So are you going to get pout and FISH![cool]
[signature]
...I had hoped to meet up with the guys on Sunday but I think they will be done before I can get there.. was hoping for a shot Monday but that does not look good.. now..

as far as MacLarry and family.. we will probably be making a trip out to see them this summer and you can bet your royal wulff that I will at least bring my flies along and see what I can do on MacLarrys' home waters.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
No way could you get there too late. We're talking POKYMON, he don't quit ! He is like the eveready bunny, he keeps going and going....specially when his sister in-law catches the big one, he, he, he.
[signature]
...lol.. you forget the afc championship game is on at noon.. [Wink]...but on a serious note.. I have obligations on Sunday morning and then breakfast with the family.. by the time I could get ready to roll I think even poky mon would be done for the day.. or they will of decided to leave one place and go to another.. [crazy]

I may just have to take my grandson out on Monday.. I got that fishing itch and have not been able to scratch it in a while.. lol. but first.. have to get my new license.. then we will see...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hey there FGD I am not questioning your knowledge of flies far be it from that. So let me go back to the beginning. Since I am fond of the Royal Wulff I decided to try my hand at tying one. I have several in my collection of various sizes that I purchased before I started to tie. They all have the split wing pattern. I came across a tying video site for the Royal Wulff that illustrated a laid back calf’s tail. [I used goat hair instead] This fly looked a bit easier to tie. Since they called their fly a Royal Wulff, consequently I used its name in my post. BTW I do know what a RW looks like however, I wasn’t familiar with the Royal Trude not having or used any in the past just that it was a variation of the RW. Now the question I have is do you think that site and a couple of others made a mistake in naming their fly? I will PM you the site as surfing will eventually lead one to a forum. Due to your attention to this subject I will correct the name in my original post.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I do think they made a mistake in naming it, but as I PM'd you, a lot of these fly tying sites do make mistakes.
Also, as I pm'd you, WULFF is the split wing and is used on a lot of different patterns because it is so buoyant.
So, not just for the Royalty any more. Here is an artical I found for you....GAWD I love COMCAST![laugh]

Wulffs are a distinct type of attractor dry fly designed by the late, great Lee Wulff. The heavily hackled, split hair-wing flies were designed to float high and be very visible to both the trout and the fisherman. Over the years the pattern has evolved into many different styles that cover most any fishing situation. [font "Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"][size 1]Green Drake Wulff[/size][/font] [font "Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"][size 1]H&L Variant[/size][/font] [font "Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"][size 1]Baetis Wulff[/size][/font] [font "Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"][size 1]Adams Wulff[/size][/font] [font "Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"][size 1]Gray Wulff[/size][/font] [font "Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"][size 1]Royal Wulff[/size][/font]
[signature]