Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peacock herl
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]I read somewhere that after a period of time peacock herl tends to become brittle. The suggestion was to place them in a microwave oven. However, don't recall for how long. Has anyone use this procedure? Oh what the hey I'll cook up a few for my recipe. Sorry about the MacFly.[Wink]
[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
..lol.. when I first read this post I thought you meant "after" the peacock herl had been used on a fly.. in which case it would not be a good idea to microwave the material and the hook.. must be a Friday leading into a long weekend.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]To clarify my scenario will answer my own question. BTW MacFly I meant that when the herl becomes brittle it will generally break off while trying to wrap it around the shank. At least that has been my experience. So I placed a section of herl on a damp sponge and microwaved it for about 12 to 15 seconds. Hey that did the trick. The herl became a lot easier to handle without breaking off.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there MacFly that small amount of metal wouldn't arc particularly if it was placed in the middle of the cabinet. BTW did you know that you can place foil around the drum stick of a chicken or turkey just so long as there is a fair amount of space between the foil and the sides/back of the microwave. I speak from experience having microwaved a number of Thanksgiving birds.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...no I did not know that.. my only experience with that was years ago when one the my daughters took a foil wrapped hot dog and put it in the microwave to reheat it.. next thing I hear is DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. I look in and it's got a little spark to it and by the time I got the hot dog out the paper under the foil was on fire.. nothing big.. if I remember right the daughter in question, once she got over being scared (and maybe me yelling at her), was upset because her hot dog from the Navy exchange was ruined and she was just home from school and hungry ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 3][cool]BTW I am not all that perfect as you you might have gathered by now. Once while placing a bird in the micro I closed the door after making sure that I had adequate room from the top and sides to my foiled drum sticks. Ooops forgot about checking the back distance.[blush] I am now reminded by an ugly black spot about the size of a dime where the arcing made contact with the back wall of the micro.[pirate][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...just goes to show we all make mistakes at times.. [Wink]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I always loved my experience with the Sunrise sandwich from Carls Jr. The foil is so thin that it makes a good 4 of July show while adding a nice burnt flavor to the cheese on the sandwich.[crazy]
[signature]
[sly][sly]
[signature]