Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Buildup-Steelhead Fishing
My spool is tending to buildup with ice causing my line to twist and tangle up when casting. What is the best way to keep your line clear while fishing steelhead in January in MICHIGAN? (Burrr)

About every 15-20 minutes I cast out (best I can at that point) and reel back in with the line between my fingers breaking off as much as I can as I wind in.(thinking that can't be good for the line).

Is there a better way? Tips? Suggestions?

Also, how often do you change out your line on a given Steelhead season? Ice is killin my line. I'm using Berkley Trilene Photochromic 12 Lb.
[signature]
The last time I was at sportsmans warehouse I noticed that they are selling some sort of line conditioner that is supposed to keep the ice off. It is designed for ice fishing, but if it works.... it ought to work fine for steelhead too. Ask on the icefishing board, or PM davetheclown (he's an ice fishing guru). Next time I am at Sportmans I'll check it out and see if I can't get you a product name. In the meantime, check the ice fishing board.

Good luck!
[signature]
Jackrabbit,
Try some Line & Lure Conditioner. I fish in freezing conditions all the time and this stuff will keep your line flexible and ice free all day. Keeps ice off your rod guides too. Longer casts and less line twist.
Check them out at: [url "http://www.lineandlure.com/"]www.lineandlure.com[/url]
[signature]
Thanks guys.

I have dropped down to 8 lb test line and I'm getting some success using PAM cooking spray on the guides. I'll check out the line conditioners.

Thanks again
[signature]