Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelies
Bear River Steelies are afraid to venture out because of the ice still surrounding the mouth of the river. Lots of guys are lining the banksbut the fish are not cooperating. This must mean they will be chomping at the bit to move up when the hard water moves out.
[signature]
Where is bear river at?
I know of a bear creek that comes of the Manistee but do not know of bear river. fished the grand in grand rapids and caught nothing but suckers all day.
[signature]
the bear ? i haven't been up that way in a while ,i know that it's fast water , no place for a noodle rod or you'll poke the guy across from you in the eye ! big rocks too , you have to be darn near a mountain goat while fishing there .

i also hear the fishing is worth all the hardships that come with it , best steelie in the state !
[signature]
The Bear River runs through Petoskey, Mi. The mouth is located at the lake side of Petoskey with plenty of State/City owned docks and finger piers to plant yourself and await the onslaught of the steelie transition. With last nights blow, most of the ioce is now gone. However, with last nights temperatures it just might be making more. Mother nature needs to give us a break. Who are those guys complaining about "The Greenhouse effect" anyway?
[signature]
hey callie , are you from thoes parts ? i have a friend up there , russel V.H.
[signature]
hey callie , how did the trout operner go for you ? any steel yet ?
[signature]
Great opener-Three nice males landed early. I was back inb bed by 6:30 a.m. What a fantastic way to start the season.

Rick
[signature]
i have a trout stream right across the street , i haven't made it over there yet ! i will try wensday thou , i guess i just procrastinate too much ! i did take a five mile drive for some nice gills after work , i was looking for some crappie , but will take what i get .

do you know a Russel ( RUSTY ) Van Horn ? he lives there .
[signature]
I WAS AT THE FOOTE DAM TODAY , THERE IN THERE AS THICK AS THE FISHERMEN ARE , OF COURSE I USE THE TERM FISHERMEN LOOSELEY . I HAD TWO MALES AND A HEN ON MY STRINGER , HOOKED ON ONE GREAT BIG SUCKER THAT TOOK ME DOWN TO THE BANKS . WHEN I GOT BACK , MY SPOT WAS GONE , MY FISH AND GEAR AS WELL . I KEPT THE SUCKER , IT HAD TO BE A MASTER ANGLER AWARD , IT MEASURED OUT TO BE 33 3/4 INCHES ON SIX POUND TEST LINE ! I HAD IT UP ON THE BANK BEHIND ME AND WHEN I TURNED AROUND TO LEAVE IT WAS GONE ! THE GUYS THAT WERE SITTING ON THE BENCH BEHIND ME TOSSED IT BACK IN THE WATER WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING . I GUESS ALL THE BEER THEY WERE DRINKING GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO DO IT . THEY SURE GAVE THERE KID A FINE LESSON ON HOW ONE SHOULD ACT WHILE FISHING . I LET THEM KNOW IT TOO !

I'M GOING BACK AGAIN SUNDAY MORNING , THIS TIME WITH SOME FOX , COON , OR SKUNK COVER SCENT ON , THIS SHOULD DETURE SOME OF THE " CROWDERS " WHILE I'M FISHING . HECK I HAD ONE OLD DUFFER ( DOWNRIVER OF ME ABOUT 30 FEET ) CUSS ME OUT BECAUSE I WAS FISHING IN FRONT OF ME AND HE WAS FISHING THE WATER A GOOD FIFTY FEET ABOVE ME . WHERE DO THESE GUYS GET THERE BRAINS FROM ?
[signature]
i arrived there about 8 a.m. , just in time to help a guy land his fish . out of the blue another guy comes over to apoligise for throwing the fish back in .

seems i just helped his dad out . that took a lot to do in front of his friends . i thanked him for the apoligy and then we talked just about the whole time i was there today .
[signature]
have they started in your area ? stormy26 has cought a couple at his favorite spot , there close to the au sable and ready to start running soon . i can't wait , my first year for salmon . i'm alread getting pretty thrilled about it !
[signature]
well I know ya got a good rod (the best money can buy a bft coustome trolling) what reel are you backing it up with?
[signature]
Salmon action is heating up in the Little Traverse Bay area(Petoskey-Harbor Springs). 19 pounder this past Labor Day. WHEW!!!
[signature]
that sertainly is a nice fish,

long time since we have heard form you, hows the fishing been? not to mention how have you been?
[signature]
i have a cira 1960's "ocean city " saltwater baitcast reel , it was an inheritance from the wifes grandpa . it's in perfect condition too .

the reel on todays market is worth a few hundred bucks , a perfect match for the b/f.t. rod all my buddys ( including you dave [Smile] ) got me as a gift .

some people will look at it and think "that set-up cost him some bucks " , yea , it's priceless , but it's not the monitary value that makes it that way , it's all the people that it reminds me of , and how much they thought of me to be given such a gift . ad how i can be a better person by treating others as i have been treated .

one thing i can tell you is when i feel a little beat down by the world , i just pick that rod up and look at it and i feel a little taller . ya just can't beat that feeling at all .
[signature]
i went to tippy yesterday , if thats the beginning of the run than i;ve gotta see the river when it's full .

man they were bumping my feet and jumping in my face , literally ! i had one jump and smacked me so hard i lost my sunglasses !

the crowds aren't there yet so i plan on going back sunday .
[signature]
callie , free two year subscription to field and stream to members , limited time only !
[signature]
Thanks for the offer to test the lure. There is plenty of water in Northern Michigan to dip that baby into and give it a good workout.

For me salmon fishing is slowly down, for others, pretty steady. I guesss some days you have it and other days you don't.

Two year subscription? Wow, one would have to be nuts not to accept this. THANKS!!

The weekend is approaching and the grouse are awaiting.

callie
[signature]
go to the product testers board , 5000 being handed out fast to our members !
[signature]
did you get any big fish yet ? two kings for me so far , waiting on the coho's to show up here on the east side .
figured i'de get my last trip in on some trout this week .
[signature]