Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BaySport on Ice!
Joined a group of insane ice-fishing machines at Strawberry Res. in the high Utah Mts. over the MLK holiday weekend. Pictures say it all:

[inline "misc 030.jpg"]

Ice and snow everywhere!

[inline "misc 028.jpg"]

Snowmobiles and sleds are the method of transportation.

[inline "misc 009.jpg"]

BLM & Vicki fish through the ice.

[inline "misc 012.jpg"]

The objective: scrappy cutts This one about 21''

[inline "misc 032.jpg"]

Use of sonar through the ice.

[inline "misc 031.jpg"]

Another cutt jigged up!

[inline "misc 035.jpg"]

Rob relaxes on his ride!

[inline "misc 008.jpg"]

BaySport on Ice!

[inline "misc 021.jpg"]

The ride home, glad i have a 4x4!

The only negative to the trip was when I spilled my snowmobile and separated my shoulder. Surgery was on Tuesday, and I'm now in recovery. Should be 100% in about six weeks.
BaySport
[signature]
Looked like a great trip! Sorry to hear you were injured. Hope you have a full and quick recovery.

Stripercraze
[signature]
Damn BaySport! You are hardcore... First I'm lookin at pictures of ice on your boats deck, now its ice on your shoulder! How long will that keep you off the water? (or will it?). Ahh, don't fret... your not missing anything but tough bites. I went out out Tuesday for nada (im getting my fish finder this weekend). I wasn't the only one havin trouble though. I talked to a couple guides at the dock, and they said they couldn't stay over a school for more than a single bite. They said the fish were scattered and suspended from 55 feet all the way down to 120. Decent weather, but the fish didn't seem to think so.
Interesting side-note: I can't cast a net from the kayak, so I picked up some of those 'Rusty's Baby Shad' from Wal-Mart (the preserved ones in a bag). Fished those with some confidence throughout the day without a single bite. At the end of the day, my buddy and I decided to get a beer before we left, so we stopped at Lake Mead Marina's mini mart. While we drank, I took some of the dead shad we were using for bait and threw them at the stripers hanging out at the dock. They hardly blinked an eye. I swear, the carp were more interested. Even the stripers that would swim up to the shad as it sank would get a couple of inches away and turn around. I proceeded to spray some shad flavored fish attractant on the bait and I tossed it out. Even then only one very small fish actually took the bait. I don't know if the formaldehyde they used to keep those shad from rotting is whats turning them off, or if those fish were truly not that hungry on Tuesday. Either way, Ill be out again in a week or so, and I intend on killing some fish (I won't be using the dead shad). Should be a good time.
I hope your shoulder gets better soon... You have a 28LB'er hangin out in about 45 feet of water, and shes waitin for you to throw her a big fake trout. You can't wait six weeks for that!
Glad you had a good trip at The Berry. Those were some pretty cutts. Take care.

The Whizzle
[signature]
Looks like you had a good time in the cold.
[signature]
Thanks, it was great trip until I ended up in the Herber City ER! I plan on returning next year.
BaySport
[signature]
What a great idea, try the bait out at the dock to see if any of those beggar stripers like it. There are some nice ones in there. I've never used that Wal-Mart dead stuff. Seems to me that it is about cutbait time anyway. Anchovy, sardine, squid, shrimp, or frozen shad may work. Don't forget to chum a ton.

The bummer about this injury is that we were planning on re-building the port engine on the 30 footer this weekend. Heads are ready, carb rebuilt, water pump re-built. Maybe I can talk my son into helping Don finish it. Really want to get that bigboy out of the slip and on the lake.
[signature]
Great time for a while! Fishing kinda slow by Berry standards, Nothing caught outside the slot, so it was a catch and release weekend.
BaySport
[signature]
At Strawberry Reservoir you are not to keep any Cutthroat Trout between 15 and 23 inches. Read the Utah fishing proclamation.

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/...ishing.pdf
thats why he released all those 21 inchers
[signature]
I got it thats good, the reason I reacted is too many folks keep whatever they catch. To me its just not right. Good for you to release those fish.

I live in icy cold Utah and I sure miss Lake Havasu! I hope to go there this year for some nice size channels cats and maybe night fish for stripers.
[signature]
It's okay bro, I got big shoulders, although one rides a little lower right now. [Wink] Thanks for the post.

I've only caught one fish outside the slot in two trips to the Berry and it was 23''. The slot is the reason I travel so far from home and spend so much of my money in Utah. You can catch 20' cutts all day long on a good day at the Berry. Never happen if folks did'nt follow the rules. Cutts are tough too, fight like heck, pull them out of a 8'' hole in the ice, take a picture, head first back into the hole, and off they go to be caught again! What fun. If I lived in Northern Utah I'd make Strawberry my fishing hole. You Utah Boys have every right to be protective of that awesome place!
BaySport
[signature]
Ive never been able to make it that far north in Utah. There are too many good fishin holes on the way. Its always easier to talk the wife into a 2 1/2 hour trip than a 6 1/2 hour trip. I wish we has some trout fishin nearby (besides the stock spots or urban ponds). Kinda makes me wish there were still silver salmon in Lake Mead....[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for sticking up for me. Should have done a better job on this post. I can see how it could have made someone think I was not playing by the rules.

I've spent a lot of time in Utah over the past 25 years. Lucky to have family & friends in the state that include me in their fun. From Cedar Mt. to Bear Lake I've enjoyed camping, canoeing, boating, elk & deer hunting, and fishing in a lot of streams and lakes. You are right about too many good fishing holes, and each with its unique characteristics. Any trip to Utah is a great time......but you better make reservations!
BaySport
[signature]