Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not exactly a newbie, but I need Help
I have been trout fishing up here in the great NW on and off for 20+yrs, but in that time I have been using the same equipment my dad gave me when I was young. I usually dock or boat fish lakes, for Rainbow or Brown Trout, normally I just bottom fish with Powerbait which has been very successful for me. It is time to upgrade, I have been looking at the Okuma Avenger Reel, and the Pflueger GX7 Reel. Also looked at the Mitchell 308XE Combo. I would like to keep my budget under $80, but that is flexible, I really don't have a clue as to what rod to even consider. Any help is greatly appreciated
[signature]
If you are upgrading lures for trolling I would use blue fox's they work great when trolling, I have downriggers on my boat and when we set them down the fish never stop biting.
[signature]
The Quantums are good "budget" reels. I have 8 of them and keep using them exclusively for my spinning reels. I fish everything from panfish to 40"+ tiger musky and beyond and love them. As far as rods go, another "budget" rod and still my favorite is the Ugly stick Lite or Lite Pro. I have never broken one and they take a beating beyond belief. The Lite and Lite Pro are very sensitive and have a solid hook setting backbone. You can't go wrong with these in combination. You can get a good rod and reel for under $70.[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the help, I appreciate every bit I can get, since there arent any good shops (ie Joes & Walley World) where you can get good or any info
[signature]
I've never had any problems with my Mitchells. I started out when I was around 6 with a Mitchell 300. I now use the Mitchell 300X quite often. I've not seen the 308, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it out. Mitchells have always been good to me.

As far as lures, spinners can be very good. Panther Martins, Mepps, Blue Foxes, etc. Even Jakes are very good. I also wouldn't look past soft plastics. I know they are marketed for bass, but they work great for trout too.

Are you looking to park and cast/retrieve? If you're looking to troll I've got some other suggestions for you. What direction are you looking at going in the fishing world?
[signature]
Joes does do a pretty good job with the sort of fishing you are talking about. At least in my opinion.
[signature]