Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a boo?
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]There is a rod & case for sale [from an estate] listed on the BFT auction board for $20.00. Actually it is on e-Bay. While the picture is not too sharp the rod looks like it could be a boo. What do you think?[/size][/green][/font]
[url "http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-6294-2978-0/1?PID=406712&AID=10381315&SID=&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D250208384804"]http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-6294-2978-0/1?PID=406712&AID=10381315&SID=&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D250208384804[/url]
[signature]
[black][size 3]It ain't a boo. However, you couldn't go wrong for that price.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you look a little farther down, and enlarge other views, you will see that it appears to made from a 3M blank. The only thing that would cause me some concern, is the line and lure weight designation on the rod. Doesn't sound like a fly rod.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Go for it, I don't think that you could be hurt at that price, with it including the case, etc.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
...looks like someone picked it up for 20.50.. sounds like a good deal to me..

here is an [url "http://troutunderground.com/2007/05/14/bury-me-with-my-phillipson-bamboo-fly-rods-part-iii/"]ARTICLE[/url] that talks about the history of Phillipson company and the use of fiberglass ..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Here is a [url "http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILLIPSON-PACEMAKER-BAMBOO-ROD-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ190192897713QQihZ009QQcategoryZ11144QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting"]Phillipson Boo[/url] being listed on an auction site..

they look to be some good prices but I dont know enough about bamboo rods to know what is good and what is not...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][size 4][green][cool]Oh I wasn't interested in buying it. Just couldn't imagine some one not savy enought to let an old boo go for just a double sawbuck. BTW that enlargement feature wasn't working for me last night. Now I can see that it is definately not a boo.[/green][/size][/font]

[Image: f61c_1.JPG]
[signature]
...I was not 100% sure when I looked at it but when I looked up the company it showed that they had manufactured bamboo and then went into fiberglass...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I think that making an investment in a boo rod, is some what like buying artwork. If you don't have a good background in it, keep away.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have a couple boo rods, and a long memory of how heavy they were, and how slow the action was. I say was, because I know that the materials and building skills have improved since I used them. I understand that now the new ones are lighter, and not subject to warping like the old ones were.(new epoxy and finishing material)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I guess if you are a "traditional", and like them, nothing could be better. They are beautiful, but costly.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I blame bamboo rods for giving me a right forearm twice the size of[black] my left. lol[/black][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
so you're popeye on the right side and normal on the left??? [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...on a serious note now.. I dont know much about bamboo except for the one piece tie a line/bobber/hook to the end of it.. toss the line in the water and then sit and wait type of rod.. I think they are great looking rods ... Ive never touched one or seen one in person.. but I have heard a lot of much more experienced fly fishers sing the praises of the bamboo rod..

MaFly [cool]
[signature]
That is a sweet looking rod though. I thought when I first saw it maybe glass, but epoxy is telling me PLASTIC. I think Saber is right that it is a FISHING POLE with that lure thing.
Phillpson is a name to look for in antique, however.
But, a boo for $20. is more likely an old Montague or an HI and as Saber pointed out....CLUBS.
When looking at Bamboo, you also want one no LONGER than 8'.
[signature]
...morning sis... one question.. what about that Phillipson boo that I posted the link to on ebay??? would something like that be a good deal or just a big club made out of bamboo??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I can't remember , cause I am getting blasted with e-bay stuff (Mojo). You still got the link? Very well could have been. Length and rod /line weight can help tell you.
I have friends that like them, but they are putting reels that weigh 6+ oz. on them to balance them out.
[signature]
...again that was just a curiosity question.. but to answer your question here is the link for the [url "http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILLIPSON-PACEMAKER-BAMBOO-ROD-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ190192897713QQihZ009QQcategoryZ11144QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting"]Phillipson Pacemaker[/url]...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I just have to ask, why would you want a bamboo casting/spinning rod?[/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]As mentioned earlier in another post I have a 9' 6wt boo. It was my Dad's rod. He bought in used back in the late 30's. I know it was used as my family didn't have any dollars to spend on rods during the depression. It has been hanging on my family room wall for the last 20 years. Tried it out just once at a regional park. Since the reel my Dad had was an auto wind, I used my Orvis MidArbor ll which was a good match. Have no idea as to the weight or manufacturer as all marking were removed when my Dad completely disassembled the rod to refinish it. Hey there Saberfish an idea as to the maker of this rod?[/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33157;][/center]
[signature]
...told ya I didnt know crap about these rods.. [Smile] ...but if you look at the initial description for use it says fly fishing.. its not until you get down to the long paragraph description that it says casting... course I should of known by the handle.. Ill just have to run down to wally world and get one of those 10 or 12 dollar cane rods they have there.. is simpler to use.. tie on a line with hook and bobber.. toss the line out.. sit back and have a beer while you wait for some fish with a death wish to come along hook itself on your hook...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I don't have any idea about the origins of that or any other bamboo rod. I really don't have any knowledge about bamboo rods. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Perhaps FG might have some knowledge in this area. You have to remember that way back when, only bamboo rods were available, and there were many, many companies that produced them.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have always been one that tried to keep up with the latest technology. Graphite rods, compound bows, high speed computers, etc.[/size]
[size 3]except for my cell phone. As you will note, in the attached photo, it's still rotary dial. lol[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]Dryrod, back then (olden days) 99% of the rods were cane. Some greenheart some beginnings of fiberglass. Most of the rods were long heavy and slow. Wet fly fishing. Completly different than dry fly style. Dry fly rod like Payne, Leonard, Orvis were smaller and faster and lighter. And more expensive. There were the English rods too. Hardy, Allnick etc.
H&I-Horrocks and Ibbotson, Montegue, South Bend, Heddon, and I think every hardware store had a brand of their own bamboo fly rods. There were local builders- no names that sold locally of coarse. The H&I, Montegue's, South Bends all were inexpensive $20 tops I think. Worth about the same today.
Payne's, Leonards, SF built RL Winstons all command a very high price today. Check out ebay for lots of "vintage" bamboo. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is trying to unload grandpa's fishing stick thinking they have a gold mine. Bamboo is expensive only when you buy certain name/brand rods.
[/size][/black][/font][url "http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/Vintage_Rods_W0QQdfspZ2QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQlopgZ2QQsacatZ11144QQsocmdZListingItemList"][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/...ocmdZListingItemList[/size][/black][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]
[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hey there mojorizing thanks for the feedback. I realize that there is a lot of history behind the bamboo rod. The only experience that I had with cane is using them to fish with from a bank or the end of a pier. All my friends had one. No one could afford a regular rod/pole in those olden days. LOL We usually just tied some kite string to the end added a hook & worm and went fishing. Seems like life was a little bit simpler in those days.[/size][/green][/font]

[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33447;][/center]

[center][/center]
[signature]