Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of bait?
What type of bait do you use for catfish? I use suckermeat.
[signature]
I use carp meat the most but have used Perch, White Bass and shinner minnows. Have caught them worms, spinners, and jigs though too.
[signature]
Wow with a spinner, I have heard of people catching them on lures but I thought they would just eat dead smelly things.
[signature]
They will eat about anything if the opportunity is right. I've even had one eat a Rapala.
[signature]
Jason
Catfish are caught on a wide variety of baits. There are 3 main species of cats in the US and they each have somewhat different diets.

http://www.stormpages.com/katchaser/baits.html

Most proponents of smelly baits are novice catmen set on catching large numbers of immature channel catfish. A little experimentation shows that larger cats require high protien diets to support size and energy requirements. Using fish for bait often results in larger fish.

Blue and flathead catfish are both particularly caught on fish and will support my claim that fish catch more trophy size cats than stinkbaits.

[Image: 77blue.jpg]

Since larger cats do become hunters they are sometimes tricked into hitting lures they mistake for food. These are often fish caught while pursuing other species. If you want to go after cats with lures select slower moving lures that are presented sub suface.

Flathead catfish are even more selective and often refuse to eat anything except live fish. Most people do not understand flathead cats and often give up in frustration before learning to find and land them.

[Image: 082706Bsize.jpg]

Whatever fish species you intend to catch, it is well worth your efforts to learn their habits and life cycle. Then as tendencies become apparent you can recognize why they happen or prepare for what your fish will do next.
[signature]
I'll admit my experience is limited to channel cats and bullheads, however, I have most success landing large channel cats using either fresh shrimp (not stinkey rotten shrimp) or cut fish (suckers, goldeye and perch).

I have landed catfish on artificial lures, including spoons, rapala baits, and plastics. These fish were accidental, as I was targeting Pike and Whitebass at those times, however, large channel cats have proven to me to be very agressive hunters, targeting both surface lures and divers. I tell you, its quite the site to see a 20+lbs channel cat take your surface lure, jumping clean out of the water to get at it, then take off running in a drag-burning sprint across the bay [Wink]
[signature]
Perch for bait? What's wrong with you man!!! Clean them things and put them in a hot skillet with a little bit of butter, salt & pepper.

I've caught some pretty big cats using hotdogs. Uncooked bacon works good too.
[signature]
Why not perch for bait? It only takes one or two little ones for a full days fishing. Unless your rigging them up live to get your hands on some big pike I suppose...The rest get the skillet Smile
[signature]
We're eye to eye. I target blue's and Flat heads here in SC. Depending on the time of year, a lot of the guys fishing Santee cooper prefer fresh cut shad as apposed to live for big blues in the winter. Many, including myself, swear by a big live crappie for flatheads. LOL< most people have a hard time sacrificing a tastey crappie for bait, but, if you want big fish you have to do what you got to do. I catch and realease mostly, as a larger catfish just doesn't have the taste of a smaller one.

Like you said, it helps to learn the life cycle of the fish you are targeting, catfish are no different. However, in that knowledge, you learn that the body of water can change how the different species of fish react and live their life span. What works in one body of water may not in another. Simple things like the transition from targteting one species on a lake with no current, and then moving on to a river with current can effect where the fish are and their feeding habbits.
[signature]
i use doug balls drench in garlic oil.[sly]
[signature]
Several lakes here have a mandatory keep rule durring the winter for perch. If it has some size I clean it and the kids eat it for dinner that night. If it is just a little one it gets cut up and put in a bag for bait.[Wink]
[signature]