Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wipers on ice?
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I was just wondering if anyone has fished Willard through the ice this year. I have never tried to ice fish it and was wondering if it is worth my time to go try it out. Does anyone have good information on Willard? Where to go or what to use? I would love to catch those Wipers through the ice![/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Thanks[/size][/font]
[signature]
From past experience, I would say the odds are not good for icing a wiper at Willard. I've fished it a half dozen times over the years and have only caught one wiper. The North marina should be the easiest to get to. The South West corner would be the easiest access to deep water, if you can get to it. The only wiper I caught was caught on one of Tube Dude's bait bugs in chartreuse. Maybe someone will go out this weekend and give it a try. WH2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]With the current (and ongoing) low water conditions your best bet for chilled wiper would be to find the deepest trench off the far west side and soak whole minnows or crawlers just off the bottom. They will also hit a variety of jigs...from very small to large...tipped or untipped. I have heard of them being caught on plain silver Kastmasters, jigged without any bait. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There just have not been that many people fishing Willard through the ice over the past few years. And those who have fished it catch a few perch, crappies and even catfish, but few walleyes or wipers. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Part of the problem is that the forage (gizzard shad) school up on the bottom of the deepest holes in the winter. The predators simply have to swim in and open their mouths to get all the groceries they need. Not much competition for food and with a slower metabolism in cold water they do not feed as often. No real incentive for wipers to swim around the lake looking for food.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the information. I guess I will stick to the regular spots.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ah, c'mon. Go out and find the wipers for the rest of us. Somebody's gotta do it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I will be more than happy to do that in a few months when i can put the boat on it.[cool]
north marina of willard 02/02/08
[inline "willard02-02-08 00001.JPG"]

[inline "willard02-02-08 00002.JPG"]

[inline "willard02-02-08 00003.JPG"]

[inline "willard02-02-08 00004.JPG"]

Anyone know if ATV's can be ridden out on Willard?
WH2
[signature]
No on the ATV or snowmobile, got to hike it unless you have sled dogs.
[signature]
DID YOU CATCH ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Wasn't me in the pics. I am too fat and crippled to hike out there, I will wait to fish it from my boat.
[signature]
where did ya read that.if had my 4 wheeler out ther ea lot.just asking not trying to stir the pile. but why is that the only lake in the state off limits.guys used to tell me you couldnt have them on east canyon ethier.but then again thats how $##%$#$^^% this state is just decided to start feeding the deer now when there stressed to the maxs from snow we been feeding for 2 months,and they are healthy as hell. well thanks for letting me vent.
[signature]
BLM got threatened last year.They said if he even took his sleds off the trailer he would get a ticket.[Wink]
[signature]
Willard is one place I have never taken more than an hour for a few hundred casts with 5 or 6 largemouth. Granted I don't have a boat so Willard isn't a good bet for me unless fish are within casting distance of the shoreline. I'm not sure if this tip will be effective but I grew up in Oklahoma and spent years chasing everything that swims for 2 or 3 days a week and here is something that might get attention through the ice at willard. We used to fish over lake channels in mid-winter with 2-3" plastic spoons we painted up to look like a shad and then tipped them with a piece of shad and weighted with a 1/32 oz split shot just above the spoon. The plastic flutters down slowly just like a winter killed shad and this may be a real trigger for wipers because it definitely bagged some hawg white bass for us in Dec. and Jan. on lake Keystone near Tulsa. Just keep the line tight as you lower your rod and set the hook the second you feel a strike. We got an occasional monster crappie on some trips along with some nice walleye and saugeye at times. If you can find the wipers at Willard I would think that this should work.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the input. The slow drop and flutter can be a good technique. I like to fish light stuff for just that reason. The sink rate is a lot more natural and many fish intercept it on the way down.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, that works best on active fish, who are actively cruising and looking for food. That does not happen much under the ice at Willard during the winter. It would be gangbusters during the summer when the wipers are chasing shad near the surface, but not during the winter, when everything is right on the bottom and inactive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One other problem with your recommendation. It is illegal to possess or use shad for bait in Willard...or anywhere else in Utah besides Lake Powell. We do use dead minnows...both whole and strips...and the wipers like them fine. But, you gotta find them first.[/#0000ff]
[signature]