Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Too Cold For Tubin'
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, I know this ain't about "floatation fishing", but just wanted everybody to know that I am still feeding my fishing addiction. Posted this on the Utah board.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[size 2][blue]Bassrods and myself met up with DiggerDan at the ramp just as the sun was washing over the painted rocks panorama about 8 or so. Lovely morning. 14 degrees and no wind. A thin layer of fresh snow on the roads and the ramp, but it was melted later when we left about noon.

Bassrods loaded Dan and me onto his "SuzyQue" wheeler and we towed three sleds behind as we easily tracked across the lake in about 4" - 6" of light snow. Got to the spot, drilled a few holes and it was instant perch action. We had each had several hits and iced a few decent perch when Brent and NoFish joined us on Brent's wheeler.

After they finished drilling their holes the area began to look like a BFT Perchopolis. And the fish decided they didn't want to be part of the party. Action shut DOWNNNNNNN. New BFT member fishinphil joined us and we drilled a couple of holes form him right behind me. A few more fish moved in and we all caught one here and one there.

I moved out to one of the holes I had drilled in deeper water and whacked a quick half dozen nice perch before going back to an inactive rod. It took me over two hours to ice my last three perch.

It really wasn't that bad. Everybody ended up with 10 decent fish to take home. Phil quietly collected his and then left, explaining that he had left his wife waiting in the car. She had agreed that he could stop off at Yuba if he took her to Fillmore.
It was good to see you again Phil and I hope you didn't keep Mama waiting too long.

I'm sure that the others will pop in with their input and probably some other pictures. Here are some that I took.

By the way, the snow started to get a bit slushy as the sun got higher in the sky, even though it stayed cold enough to keep putting ice in our holes. And, when we got off the ice at the ramp, the wheelers broke through right at the edges. Nothing serious for us, but BE CAREFUL to everybody who goes out in the warming weather of the next couple of days. Might not be a bad idea to bring planks.

The ice on the main lake is at least 12". Power augers are the only way to fly. DiggerDan was mighty proud of the new power auger he had in his sled...a birthday present for his 50th. He probably would have been a lot happier with it if he had not overprimed it when trying to drill his first holes.

THE GOOD NEWS. NO TD JINX. Bassrods wheeler and his auger both started easy and ran well all day. Probably because I brought my own auger...even if it was a bit balky.

Oh yeah, Officer Friendly did make it across the lake on his pretty yellow wheeler to check us out. A quick exchange of pleasantries and he roared off to check on some other folks.

There were about 8-10 vehicles in the parking area by the time we came in...and several groups scattered around the islands and elsewhere.

Nice on the ice.
[/blue][/size] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33345;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SNOW CONDITIONS.jpg [/#333366][/url](183 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33346;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] YUBA CHOO CHOO.jpg [/#333366][/url](245 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33347;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] DIGGERDAN JIGGIN'.jpg [/#333366][/url](201 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33348;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] PHIL FISHIN'.jpg [/#333366][/url](287 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33349;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] NOFISH WITH FISH.jpg [/#333366][/url](218 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33350;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] BLADE BANGER.jpg [/#333366][/url](212 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33351;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] TIGER TIGER.jpg [/#333366][/url](225 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33352;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] OFFICER FRIENDLY ON WHEELER.jpg [/#333366][/url](183 KB) [/size][/black]
[signature]
Nice report. I kinda figured it would be hard to get a tube in a little 8" hole. There were tubes in the tires so I guess that counts.[cool]
[signature]
Pat,
Nice jumbos! You make your own blades too?

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Hey TD,

That keeps the chill off. Great report.

z~
[signature]
Still Too Cold For Tubin'

Well I wish you would have posted this a little sooner [blush] !

I got arrested for indecent exposure and the D.N.R. impounded Mr.Quackers !
The indecent exposure charge was droped due to lack of evidence [laugh] .

Great fishing report buddy [cool] !
[signature]
we should have soft water soon up here get mojo and flygoddess and come on up. get your boy up here also.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yes, I do make my own blade lures...1/4 oz and 1/2 oz. The one in the picture was a 1/2 oz. pale perch color...with the single size 2 hook. You'd think that would keep the little perch off, but they still find a way to commit suicide by getting the point of the hook in their mouths.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Al, haven't heard from you for awhile. Sorry about the Mr. Quackers thing. I know how attached you two were. There will always be other tubes, but never another Mr. Q.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I've always wondered about the term "indecent exposure". Is there such a thing as "DECENT" exposure? Glad you beat the rap. Shows what a good lawyer and a severe chill can do to get rid of the evidence.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like a plan. Looks like we will all have plenty of water in the ponds this year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I may be setting up a caravan of SoCal Tubers so that we can go up and invade the UT, ID waters for awhile.[cool]
[signature]
let me know when your coming!
[signature]
I sure will. I hope to be able to meet quite a few of the ID and UT members when we go up there.

What area are you in?[cool]
[signature]
Twin Falls, Most of the res are about 1 hr from here. With all the snow we should have some good water accumilation meaning we should be full on most of the res. Should be a good year, we pray!
[signature]
Tuben2 you know I am mobile and love to go home every chance I get so Pokey and us are a package deal, but Scofield and Strawberry are a must.
Henry's would be the icing on the cake.
[signature]
Sounds like a good package deal. As I get closer to a date, I will let the word out and maybe we can work out a Multi State BFT intergalactic tubathon.

I will see what I can do to get Macfly, Bendopoloa and Dryrod to caravan or carpool over there with me. I may just have to get me a new truck to fit all that equipment into.[cool]
[signature]
I do have a few vessels if that helps[laugh] I even have an Ugly Stick somewhere and a bunch of Fly Swaters

[Wink]
[signature]
hey now dont knock my ugly sitcks.. lol..

.. if I am able to make it on this trip and if we should meet up to do some fishing.. all I want is to spend some time on the water with you so I can learn to fly fish correctly.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Hey Mac. I'm sure you can get the fambly discount on the fly lessons.[cool]
[signature]
"[size 1]I do have a few vessels if that helps[laugh] I even have an Ugly Stick somewhere and a bunch of Fly Swaters "[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[black][size 3]What about a new truck?? It is easier to justify buying one based on the situation. hee hee.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm sure that Macfly will get some use of your Ugly Stick. I may want to take one of your Rojos for a spin if we can keep Mojo off of it long enough.[cool][/size]
[signature]
... if I get there Id like to use the h3 as well.. now as far as the ugly stick goes.. in this case with fg and others as tutors Id say it would be the extreme last resort.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]