Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling motor bateries
Hi guys,
In another few weeks I'll be upgrading my electric trolling motor from a 24 volt to a 36V system, and will also be replacing the batteries. I've heard alot of good comments about Optima batteries, and am thinking of getting three, but would like to hear furthur comments before I drop $200 each on them. Thanks, Fred K
[signature]
My friend dropped money on the Optimas and they were good. HOWEVER, they were no better (in his opinion) than the Grp 27, Wal-Mart Maxx specials (bright yellow batteries). They didn't last any longer during the useage and he got about the same amount of recharges from the Optima's versus the Maxx batteries by Wal-Mart. I have a Maxx in my boat which only runs a 12V motor. My friends was a 24V system. For about $70 for the Maxx compared to the $200 for optima, I would spend less and then find something else to blow the rest on! LOL
[signature]
Hi BLFG,
Thanks for the input [Smile] Perhaps I need to rethink my plan. Spending $225 on batteries sure sounds better than $600! Thanks, Fred K.
[signature]
ditto the marine maxx recommendation. I used trojans in the past, the maxx doesnt disappoint though, it is a weird size 29, barely bigger than the 27 and still fits in th ebox, but with a 3 year warranty they cant be beat - they are $75 now with a $9 core charge. Optimas arent all that great, think they are 70 amp hours or so, the maxx is a dual purpose, I run as a starter and for a 46# minn kota, plus if yuou have issues, it is walmart - just keep the receipt and they dont care
[signature]
[black][size 3]I recently looked at the battery that Cabela's carry. I reviewed it on their web site, and read the reviews of customers. Quite impressive. Might be worth investigating.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys! I ended up going with the Marine Maxx batteries. Now if I can just find a battery plate that will fit those big suckers ;0) Fred K.
[signature]
Quote: Now if I can just find a battery plate that will fit those big suckers ;0)

If they exist, I couldn't find one. Checked several auto parts stores. Ended up using one of those cheap, disposable roasting pans (like 13 x 9) that you get on aisle 14 in Smith's. It's not quite big enuff, but then I used my Cabelas drift sock plastic carton around it. Works like a charm. I had a roasting pan lying around so I didn't have to hit aisle 14, but I bet there's bigger sizes available (think turkey) if you don't have a Cabelas drift sock carton.
[signature]
This where you can buy a group 29 (Marine Maxx) battery box for cheap.
[url "http://www.remybattery.com/Departments/Battery-Box-and-Battery-Tray/Plastic-Battery-Boxes-and-Cases.aspx"]Group 29 Batter Box Link[/url]
[signature]