Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Force fins?
How much of an advantage/benefit do you get from Force fins compared to garden variety fins? They are fairly pricey and I wanted to see what experience people have had with them before I look at them too seriously. Thanks.
[signature]

Hey there TBear,

For one thing, you won't have a big ol heavy wallet pulling at the seat of your pants. I don't have a pair but I hear they are less tiring when tubin all day and have higher efficiency when traveling longer distances. There are two types of flippers, the regular sock type or the style where you are wearing shoes and the fins accomodate them.

You might want to consider the type of waders you have (booties or one-piece), type of water you fish (large or small, windy, etc.), if you would prefer or need to wear shoes from car to the water's edge among other things.

I'm sure TubeDude has got some additional advice that will be more concise and be more from experience with different types of fins.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Yo, Mr. Bear. Good timing. I just acquired a set of Force Fins when I bought a bunch of stuff from a guy over in California, whose father had just died and left a bunch of tubing gear he had never had a chance to use. I got the fins, in addition to some new neoprenes and a new Super Fat Cat for TubeBabe.

I plan to give them an on-the-water checkout Tuesday afternoon, along with my new Eagle Cuda 168 sonar rig. I have heard both plus and minus reviews on them. But, like most things related to fishing gear, reports are often based on what the reviewer is used to and that kind of slants the opinions.

I have primarily used the Plana Avanti diving fins for almost 20 years. Before that I used IDI Frogfoot and several others. I have never fallen out of love with the Plana fins. They have a long blade, but not too flexible, so that I still get good thrust. There needs to be a balance between total blade surface, efficient power to thrust ratio, fatigue factor and all that stuff.

As you correctly observe, budget is something to consider too. It is always possible to pay more than you should. However, it is also possible to not spend quite enough, and have to live with poor-fitting or poor-performing fins for a long time.

The basic design of the Force Fins appeals to me. They are cupped forward, to maximize the thrust on the forward stroke of the kick, and to reduce the resistance on the less important back kick. Most of your backward propulsion power comes from the forward (upward) thrust of the fins, so these things are apparently well designed with floatation fishing in mind.

Another thing I like is that they are "one size fits all". That means that they can be adjusted to fit either your light summer outfit, or your heavy winter gear, with extra socks and neoprenes. With some fins, you need two or more pairs to insure comfortable fishing in all seasons and temperatures.

Actually, the Planas I have been using for so long have the heel strap construction, and large soft rubber foot pockets. These easily handle my light "flats boots" that I wear while fishing without waders in the warm summer waters...but can also hold my more bulky booted foot with neoprenes and larger flats boots in winter. All that needs adjusting is the heel strap. And, that is easy, with the quick pop-out adjustment buckle.

JR had it right. There are considerations of the type of waders and boots you will be using, as well as the types of fishing and the seasons involved. If you are under no specific rush to get a pair of fins in the next couple of days, you may wish to wait for my review on Wednesday.

Also, if anyone else would like some guidance on what to look for in the waders, fins, boots and other accessories, I will be happy to email a chapter from my book covering that subject. Just send me a personal message or an email, to the email address on my personal profile, and I will send it along.

In the meantime, if you wanna see something funny, go to Saguaro Lake on Tuesday afternoon and watch an old man trying to get his Super Fat Cat up on plane with those new Force Fins. I'll put them through their paces.
[signature]
Sounds like a plan Tube Dude. I am not in a rush to drop $85 until I hear they are pretty skookum. I will definitely wait to hear your review next week. Don't kick too hard with those new fins, you may get a ticket for reckless tubing! Best of luck on your Tuesday trip.
[signature]

Hey there TBear,

It's amazing unless you've been on this board for awhile. TubeDude can talk about the same subject a number of times and every single time you learn stuff again and I say again because it's given from a little bit different perspective. Don't skip a question just because you've read it answered before!

One group of tubers fishing the local coastal beaches and bays seem to prefer the Force Fins. Here in California, buying retail, I don't think $85 is a bad price. I've heard of them being a tad over $100 in some shops. Seems like they were not easy to find in local shops for a while either.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey, JR, flattery will get you almost anything...including a few extra goodies in your "Acme Roadrunner Kit", due to go out tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I will probably sneak out tomorrow afternoon for the "kickoff party" on those Force Fins. Tuesday is forecast to be windy and rainy. I can handle wet, but I hate windy.

In the meantime, I have accumulated a bit more education on Force Fins. I had only been exposed to the basix black float tuber's models. Man, do you know those things come in a rainbow of colors and specialized configurations for divers too? I didn't know that until I netsurfed a few websites. Here are a couple, including the home site for Force Fin.

And, check out the prices on some of those exotic models...several hundred dollars. No thank you. By the way, Cabelas sells them for $129 and it is rare to find them much under $100. I didn't realize what a deal I got on the float tube package I just bought until I did some readin' on the Force Fins that were included. Now I really gotta put 'em through their paces.

[url "http://www.diversdiscount.com/ov.asp?st=force+fins&category=23"][#800080]http://www.diversdiscount.com/ov.asp?st=...ategory=23[/#800080][/url] (click on Fins...then on Force Fins)

[url "http://www.forcefin.com/"][#800080]http://www.forcefin.com/[/#800080][/url] (Click on Float Tuber's Fins button)
[signature]
Thanks JR and TD - wow, I had no idea there were so many models (and colors?) of Force fins either. Now I am not too sure which flavor I saw at my local outdoors store for $85. I recall the model on the boxes saying "Fish" but I think they are the plain Jane Force fins (i.e. not adjustable). They may be the same ones that Cableas offers for $100 but I can't be sure. I am sure they did not come with the "comfort insert". Next time I'm back in the store I will look at them a little more closely.
[signature]

Hi again,

Now you and TudeDude have done it. I guess I'm just going to have to check out my present fins. Who knows there might be some serious scratches or.. or horrible deterioriation of the rubber causing me to get a fatal rash or hey, ya ya that's it! maybe there's a manufacturers recall saying they are death traps!

I may be forced to start thinking about what I should get for my 137th year old birthday present for myself.

TubeDude will give us a good review.

JapanRon
[signature]
Just buy some regular Caddis Fins!!!

Aaron
[signature]
[Wink] thats wat i have.. they work just fine...[Wink]

-chris
[signature]