Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout Madness Coming Up
Call it what you will, but the spring opening of trout season truly signals the end of winter in the best of ways. Just a few short weeks away, it cannot come soon enough for many with cabin fever. Or for another good reason, it is warming up and that means the outrageous prices on propane and natural gas heating bills will decrease as demand slows, and that is a very good thing. I don't know about you, but I cringe when the truck pulls up to top off the tank, and it means a lot less spending in other areas to compensate.

So the opening of trout season is a relief for many reasons, and if the weather will hold up, opening day on March 1 should be the best in years here in Missouri. The major state parks at Bennett Spring, Montauk, Roaring River and Meframec Springs will launch the start of the catch-and-keep season.

Make no mistake, the preparation for anxious anglers takes months -- searching out the endless catalogs, seminars, retail stores, specialty stores and TV shows just to make sure you have all the latest gear and gadgets that most think will give them the edge.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Survey showed that anglers spend an average $1,200 per man getting ready, not including travel, food or lodging, and that adds up to a multi-billion-dollar industry. If you're a fly fisherman, the costs are higher as the equipment and gear tend to be much more personalized and expensive-- I would say you could easily double or triple the average for a fly fisherman. Nonetheless, the idea is to enjoy the outdoors, catch a creel full of memories we call fish, and relive the experience for years to come with friends, family and anyone else that will listen at the local coffee shop or restaurant.

And, rest assured the fish will grow in size and weight with age, a parameter totally accepted in the fishing world. Take along a digital camera, a trick of many fishing shows. Get closer to the fish -- it looks bigger that way - and keep a good photo record of the day, trip and the entire experience. With today's software packages like Adobe Premier Elements 4, you can build a good photo slide show with music very easily that will last a lifetime on DVDs.

Fishermen and ladies are as dedicated as any sportsman can be, rising long before dawn with the excitement of true passion and camaraderie, longing for the feel of a sudden strike on a sensitive rod with delicate line and a secret fly that took the entire winter to determine. Setting the hook on a large fish takes finesse, and the feel of the strike on your finger sends an adrenaline rush you just have to experience.

Fighting the fish with a tight line but not overpowering is the talent fishing legends are made of. Having your children, family or buddies watch your challenge come into the net, priceless! Nice picture, but then there is my reality, which includes tangled lines; falling in frigid cold water; dropping the net knowing at that split second you forgot to attach the lanyard to your belt; and one of my best, suddenly realizing the cool sensation is not the thrill of the first fish but a pin-hole leak in your waders.

Or it could be that great casting technique you have worked on in the yard, which you hope does not snare trees, limbs, stream side brush, or worse yet, other anglers or your ear. Been there, done that. Still, a day of fishing and being outdoors is still better than a day in the office, leaky waders or not.

Locally, the attendance for the openers has ranged from 8,000 to more than 14,000, with high points being directly related to the opener being on weekends. In 2008, officials are thinking along the 10,000 mark, and then there is the weather. If the weather is fair, warm or pray tell, sunny and warm, numbers can skyrocket along with the on-lookers who come to watch the event unfold. If it is cold or bad weather is forecast, the attendance will drop substantially.

To prepare for this type of fishing pressure, in Missouri the Conservation Department will stock three fish per estimated angler at each location in the streams from the various hatcheries. Each location also stocks 50 to a few hundred lunker fish that will hit the scales at more than 3 pounds. The early bird gets the worm is not so far off, that's why so many get to the water's edge early to stake out his or her real estate, ensuring the perfect casting area is open to them. To start the angling frenzy, a traditional sounding of a siren or firing of a pistol lets all know, let the games begin.

Bottom line, like many outdoor activities this is a lot of fun and an event the whole family can enjoy. If you happen to stop by one of these hot spots, you will see anglers ranging in age from those just old enough to hold a rod, to grandparents helping the next generation experience the thrill of angling and everything in between. Moms, dads and every version of relatives join in for what is a great way to be together. Now comes the task of making sure you can catch lunch with everyone watching; no pressure.

To contact me, e-mail me at TheOutdoorsman@cpimo.com or leave a message at this newspaper. Until next time, have a great day outdoors.