Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS Units
This would be a simple, I hope, poll about Portable GPS Units. I am in the market for a hand held, reasonably priced, basic GPS Unit for simply marking fishing spots in Minnesota and Ontario. Maximum number of markers would never exceed 100. I am having a hard time finding/learning about all the different kinds of GPS devices available so I thought who better to ask than my fellow die hard fishermen. I thank everyone for their input in advance and may your lines never break.
[black][size 3]I'm not up to date on the latest and greatest, but I can offer you the benefit of my own experience.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]A few years ago, I bought a cheap Garmin, and it's use was very limited. Shortly after, I bought a Garmin E-trex Legend. I have used it for hiking, boat fishing, pontoon fishing, and with a dash mount, in my vehicle. It has worked like a charm. On trips to Canada, it was a life saver.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It's not an expensive or full feature unit, but I have never found it wanting for my uses.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that the current model sells for about $150.00 at Cabela's, which is about the same as I paid about 6 or 7 yrs ago.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Hope this helps.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I don't own one but have used several and you get what you pay for. The less expensive ones will get you close but not back to a specific spot. I like to mark the light pole in front of my house and leave. Then when I come back I see how close the gps will get me back to that pole. Less expesive units have put me anywhere from down the street to in my back yard. High end ones have put me within three to five feet.
[signature]
I have one of the Etrex as well as a Garmin Rhino.

The Etrex is nicer for marking more locations. Up to 500. It also has a better routing sysem.

The Garmin Rhino has a speaker on it and can sound an alert when you #s from there. The Rhino also has the FRS/GMRS radio and can accept downloads for maps from the computer. It can also use an external power cable for your road travels.

Some of the newer Etrex have better mapping built into them but no radio nor audible alert.

There are so many different ones out there. You shoud really go into the store, see all the features and figure out which ones are more important to your needs for the price.[cool]
[signature]
First of all, stick with Lowrance Products.

Secondly, one of the best and rugged hand held units i've ever used is the IFinder H2O.

[Image: 91439.jpg]

I use one now and my buddy has the same exact model. I use mine primarily for navigating the ocean in less than favorable conditions. Never failed me. My buddy has one and he uses his on a kayak. Yep, a Kayak. I've personally been with him when it's been doused over and over under salt and fresh water. It's mounted on the bow and it takes a beating. Color is going to cost you around 260.00, black and white is around 170.00. I have black and white, however, if I could go back in time, I would spend the extra money on color. Color contrasts way better in direct sunlight. [cool]
[signature]
Does that one take any map uploads from the Puter??[cool]
[signature]
That's a 10-4. It's navionics capable, just like all the other Lowrance stuff. It's a really neat unit, and it's easy to use. You can plug it into a cigarette lighter too, with out having to use batteries. That's a good piece of mind for me. LOL I have a cigarette lighter on my boat, and my wife likes to buy cheap AA batteries. I hate cheap batteries, but I love the 12V plug in feature because of it. [Tongue]
[signature]
Maybe I could comine it with my Furuno that I mounted on the float tube. hee hee[laugh]
[signature]
I use a Garmin vista CX and have been very happy with it. It has upgradeable memory and so mine will hold more than i will ever need. Easy to use and accurate! my 2 cents
[signature]
Thank you all for your input on the matter of Portable GPS Units. I have searched and read many reviews and decided on the Lowrance iFinder H2O. Good Fishin' to all and Thank You again.
Ranger
[cool]
[signature]
Make sure and let us know how it works out for you. Make sure you set the date and time when you begin the initial set up.

A good chart, which I bought just 3 days ago, is NauticPath USA. I was going to get navionics Silver, but Nauticpath was about 40 bucks cheaper, and just as good. It shows me the water depths and everything.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the GPS. Since i've got one, it won't be a problem helping you out. [cool]
[signature]
I'll put in another vote for the Garmin Etrex Legend. As far as I am concerned it is a great unit for the price. I've bounced mine off rocks and never had a problem with it. As far as accuracy it has put me within a couple of feet most of the time. The furthest it was ever off was about 20 feet. I've used it for fishing, hunting, backpacking, hiking and just about anything else you can think of.
[signature]