Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you catch grass carp???
[Image: fish-on.gif]
Howdy im new to this website so hello to all.
I live in southwest ohio and fish all the time in the spring and summer. I fish at our little farm pond and we have caught blue gill, catfish, and bass in the pond. I usually just fish with bobbers and most of the time use lures for bass. We have 3 or 4 Grass carp in there to get rid of any algae that comes. I have always wanted to catch one of these huge grass carp because they are the biggest fish in our pond but can never seem to catch one. Is there any ways I can catch one of these????????????
Thanks a lot
Mossbergman11
[signature]
Well out here in utah we use garlic dough balls.. Just take the center of a piece of bread and add garlic powder to it.. then add just a drop or two of water then roll into small balls.. Works great on sucker also..
Good luck[Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
anyone got any other ideas?

[signature]
You could always try bowfishing for them.

Bowfishing is legal in the state of Ohio for the following species... carp, gar, drum, dogfish,buffalo suckers, suckers, frogs, and turtles. You can use a compound, recurve, longbow or a crossbow.

Good Luck
[signature]
I really just want to catch them not kill them
[signature]
OK... ok..... here is the hard way to catch them. I say hard because it is very difficult to catch a herbivorous (plant) feeding fish.

When you target these vegetarians, you will hook more fish if you use plant parts for bait. Take a lawn mower to your chosen carp lake (if the owner and law will permit it) and mow a strip of grass along the edge. The mower should be positioned so the grass clippings spray into the lake.

Now, take a small bundle of green grass and attach it to a hook with a little rubber band. If you prefer, you can create a little "grass fly" and use it with a fly rod. Cherry tomatoes and french fries are a good bait as well.

When carp start coming up to eat the grass (if they are present, they most certainly will), cast the lure/bait amongst all those big rubbery lips and get ready to do battle.

But beware, catching a grass carp on rod and reel is a real challange. They are big and they do a great marlin impression and will surely jump straight out of the water as soon as you set the hook. It will continue to jump several times before you land it … (if you manage to land it at). If you set the hook on a short line, you could have a carp in your lap almost instantaneously.

Good Luck !!! Be sure to post pictures if you catch one.
[signature]
I second the cherry tomatoes. I picked that tip up a while back off of a "carp fishing only" site and they work. The problem with carp is that there is so much to feed on, they rarely get into a "feeding frienzy." In other words, if the carp have plenty to munch on in the area, they might be lest impulsed to have a bite. Unlike bass, bream, and other types of fish, carp can't be tempted into an impulse strike. So, they really have to be hungry to have a swipe at it. Be patient, use a small hook and a cherry tomatoe, and you'll get one. I went through the same thing at work. We have Japanese grass carp here in our ponds. They were imported specifically to keep the vegitation down. They are steril, so they can't reproduce. I target them with a bobber rig and the tomatoes. Sometimes they bite, sometimes they don't. [Wink]
[signature]
I had some success using corn kernnels, just put a few pieces of corn on a hook and hold on, they are very good fighters and will present a good challenge. Make sure you have your drag set right, let it run for a little.
[signature]
I have caught hundreds of these fish, some as large as 50 lbs., and on several occasions, have caught over 100 lbs. of grass carp in an afternoon. I'm in south Florida, so of course the stratagy is going to be somewhat different where you are, but just use this as a guide and tweak it for your home water.

First and formost, get polarized glasses, without, you might as well close your eyes. Second, grass carp are vegitarian but are also, opportunists. They will eat a variety of non-meat baits including, but not limited to; bread, bagels, dough, bread particles, corn, broccolli, colliflower, small fruit, and non-meat based pre made and home made carp baits. Third, since these fish relate to shallow water to feed, 12 ft. long euro style carp rods are unneccasary.
I use a 7 ft. meduim action spinning setup with 12 lb. test berkley fireline.

Now for tactics. If you can locate them and they are already feeding, you're that much closer to getting a hookup. If not, throw out pieces of bread or bagle into the most likely spot. Make sure the free bait floats. Wait. When it is obvious that the carp are taking the free bait without hesitation, make an accurate cast 4-6 ft. ahead of and beyond your target fish. Again make sure the bait floats. No "rig" is needed. Unless your pond is gin clear, you can tie a 2-2/0 short shank live bait style hook directly to your line. Place a tiny split shot 2 ft. from the bait in order to sink the LINE not the bait.

About the bait, form the bagel or bread piece (bagle stays on better) into a round ball about the size of a quarter if not a little bigger. Don't compress it to much or it will sink. Thread it onto the hook until the eye is in the bait. Setup in this fashion with a medium action spinning rod you will be able to cast your offering quite a distance if neccasary.

About the fish, to land one you will either need a extra large net with netting that has a small mesh so as to not damage their scales, or you will have to go in after it. I do the latter, and it is not as difficult as you might think. Get in knee to waist deep and tail the fish with your free hand and roll it onto its side. They usually calm down once you do this.

This is a sparse guide, if you have other questions, ask.
[signature]