Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bowfishing
hey any one and every one who knows anything about bowfishing. I would like to get started in bowfishing and would like to know what some of the prices for equipment are and places to go, ect.
[signature]
When I was a teenager (for those of you who don't know me -- well let's say it has been a year of two since I was a teenager) I used to bowhunt Utah Lake for the carp. I used about a 25 pound bow and inexpensive wooden arrows. I tried various arrows that came connected to a nylon line, but found they were more trouble than they were worth. They worked fine in open water -- probably a necessity, but in the grasses where the carp would spawn around Utah Lake they were more trouble than they were worth. In those days no one seemed to much care if you left the dead fish behind to rot, but now days you could get a large fine for doing that.
[signature]
well i dont get paid enough to get a hefty fine so that is not an option. I have a walmart compound bow do you think that would work? mabye i will have to fabricate a reel so that it will hook onto my arrows, and bow.
[signature]
I probably could have been a little clearer in my past post. Unless you are spearing carp (or whatever is legal) in open water you don't want to fool with a line tied to the arrow. Spearing carp in open water is challenging, because first they often see you before they are close enough to spear, and secondly they are often under water a few inches. Water deflects and slows down an arrow tremendously, so if they are under water you need to use a stronger bow.
[signature]
o i would buy an arrow with line attached and then figure out how to hook it up to a reel of some sort.
[signature]
No - unless you are fishing in open water (no grass, or other greenery in the water) just use a regular inexpensive arrow, and no spool and no line attached to the arrow. If you want to venture out into open water, then you have two choices. One lose lots of arrows, because they disappear either stuck in the side of a fish that swims away, or disappears in the mud or whatever else is on the bottom. Or two, I recommend that you purchase a spool that is designed to be attached to a bow, and purchase arrows that are designed to be attached to a nylon line that is wound around a spool.
[signature]
okay i think that i will do that. that is buy the stuff. arrows are quite expenseive and i bet it would be cheaper to buy equipment then to have to keep buying arrows.
[signature]
Here is a site that should answer all of your questions (thank you Google.com).

[url "http://www.sullysbowfishing.com/"]http://www.sullysbowfishing.com/[/url]
[signature]
bowfishing has begun. Sullys is probly the best place to buy you equipment, but sportsmans has most of what you will need. A recurve or longbow will be the best for fishing to reduce the chance of snapback. i personally use a pse coyote with a big johnson spincast reel. I ordered the fast flight line from sullys. it is small diameter and 200 lb. you could also use a hand reel and they work great. I would highly suggest getting some good strong line. I have lost several arrows with knot breaking or getting the line wrapped on something when you shoot. having a strong line means the arrow will probly be coming back at you if it gets tangled but at ten dollars an arrow i take my chances. whenever i have had tangles i usually get at least 10-15 feet of line out first. the arrow usually just hits the ground. I went out yesterday and the carp have begun to spawn. I shot a couple is all, but it will continue to get better as the water warms. I will try to post a picture of my outfit.
[signature]
hey thanks for the info guys. carp killer i sent you a pm with some questions that you may be able to answer for me. any knowledge is greatly appreiciated.
[signature]
i use to bowfish alot. if you would like some info as well just email me or pm me. i have been bowhunting since i was 14 and started shooting a bow a 6 so i know a thing or two about the subject.
[signature]