Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catalina WSB BITE kicks off !!

Hey there guys,

April 21, 2003- Good new for us Catalina addicts. As of yesterday, the WSB bite at Santa Catalina Island has taken off for what feels like the real start of a great WSB season. hope hope

Sportboats from landings up and down the coast from Santa Monica to Dana Point have targeted Catalina for good to near limit to limit catching, not fishing. Reports indicated you had to be in the ol' 'right place, right time' slot but what has been great is that if the bite died in one place, moving to another place, another school gave you.... another good shot.

Seems like having live bait was pretty much the ticket. Private Boaters were having mixed results, although the weather has been great the last few days, not makig live fin bait let alone squid would put a crimp in anyone's style.

You can bet this next weekend is gonna see the sportboats loading up so.......... you might want to keep one eye on the weather/water temp and the other on the fish counts early this week and go on a weekday.

Oh ya, if it really gets good, you'll see a bunch more of the 3/4 day guys sitting off Bird Rock, etc. Look for me! ha ha ha

The way it is right now, for any given day 'You won't know, if you don't go'.

JapanRon
[signature]
Ron you the guy always at Performance tackle?

If so Chris and I are the guys always at El DO!

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there guys,

I went on the Pierpoint to Catalina yesterday for the WSB.
No croakers but it was a beautiful day, went with one of the fishing clubs I belong to, had one of Markie's breakfast burritos, and we had squid for bait. Yellows were breezing all over the place but no takers.

Got to Catalina, bought some squid from a boat there. We caught calicos (one to 6lb's), sheepshead, short halibut (released), flounder, whitefish, and various rockfish. Next week I'm gonna bring smelt on board for those halibut that not that many people fish for at Catalina.

Jimmy worked hard to put us on fish (WSB) but today no luck on the inside up near the west end.

That being said, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, and Santa Rosa have the biting kind of WSB. They've done good the last two days with plenty of limits. And....Coronado island is still pumping out the yellowtail.

If the yellows move up and the WSB move down, we'd be OK! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]

Hi there dh tubinaaron,

Nope, I don't go to Performance Tackle very much but I've visited it. I'm one of the guys flyfishing ElDo, mostly on the back lake.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hello Guys,

JR, Are you thinking about hitting a 3/4 day this week? What one, I might try to work into that myself?

What do you say Booyaa, Up to it?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator

Hi there theangler

I'm going on a club trip Wednesday but.... if the PB's are making good reports and the 3/4's are going I would like to hit two different landings. I'm looking at hittin' Clemente for whichever and the coronados for yellows.

To be quite honest, there's just something I don't particularily like about a couple of the landings in SD. I've never been shafted, well not too badly there, so I really don't have that strong a reason. Must be something hot going on for a landing north of SD for the Coronados!

It's Sundy so can't decide on Thursday and Friday trips yet.

Had a good day in the bay/surf using TubeDudes white roadrunner with big red eye and silver blade. Had my own thingy on doused in Calico Cocktail.

Let's see how the Monday and Tuesday bite developes. One thing bad about moo moo boats right now is that if they ain't got the numbers they ain't burnin' the fuel to get to Catalina or where ever.

Good sign is that more live squid is showing up in everybodys bait tanks.

Talk to you later,

JapanRon
[signature]

Hi there Guest,

Nope, not me! I'm retired and the next suit I plan to wear will be black and Uh ........ never mind! Ya know what, at 5 I'm headin' to Cerritos at just to limber up the ol' flyswatter. I don't expect the WSB bite to be too good but .... if you don't try! ha ha

Let me know if you guys go to other freshwater fishin' holes other than ElDo and Cerritos Park Lake. Wilderness Park don't count! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]