Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When?
Big Dan: When are we going to jump on those sculpin like we talked about? I know we have to wait a few months but let's keep it in the hopper. Meantime that beautiful craft of yours is growing moss. You need to take'er out and blow the soot out
Those calicos are also waiting for us on the breakwater.....let's go. Also the butts are moving around a little. We caught 5 keepers last Sunday the biggest on the boat was about 20lb, the average at 10 lbs and the one that got away at the boat was about 30 lbs (of course). "Lets go"!
[signature]

Hey there gvanzant,

Enjoyed your latest article on the Seal Beach Pier et all. Keep 'em coming. With this wierd weather everybody is gettng a little stir crazy. ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[Wink][size 4]ya this weather sucks[Sad] i cant get a good day to hunt those fish at cerritos...[Sad][/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4]-chris[/size]

[size 4][/size]
[signature]
where did you get the Big Halibut???

Ive been looking for them in Alamitos Bay around the second street bridge.

Also will the sand bass in Alamitos Bay eat smelt?

Thanks

Aaron
[signature]
[Wink][size 4]does alimitos have nice size halibuts under the apian way bridge?[/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4]-chris[/size]
[signature]
Chris: All the bridges have halibut on either side depending on which way the current(tide) is flowing. Mostly the butts are small but every now and then somebody gets a quality fish to bite. Sand bass are everywhere and they love live smelt as do the butts. Anywhere you can find extreme current in the bay you will find the sea bass and all the others. Last Sunday we were on our way to sea and passing under the PCH bridge we observed thousands of smelt finning against the current which at the time was faster than the Klamath. PS When we returned that day(Sunday last) we saw two guys tubing right next to the big second street bridge. Was that you?
[signature]
that was me!!! me and my friend were tubing that whole area; the apian way bridge, 2nd street bridge, and even the sports arena. we caught some halibut, flounder, smelt, sand bass, croaker, and well.... thats about it.

Joe
[signature]

Hey there gvanzant,

Didn't you notice that poor lone flyfisher thrashing the water on the PCH side of the swim area? ha ha There I was catching two little 14 inch smelts on a white clouser. ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
JapanRon: What size clouser and leader. I've just wrapped a hot 4 weight Pac Bay. Lookin for a test!
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

For a leader I use a 6ft length of tapered leader tied to a tippet for the conditions but normally around another 6ft. My fishies were caught on a 4lb fluorocarbon tippet. I'm tying a bunch of flies using Eagle Claw finess, light wire, circle hooks. I know, I know, what the heck!? Why,

Fished correctly, circle hooks, in my experience, let the fish in the surf catch themselves. Their turns give me the advantage. I get hung up less on the bottom and my hook points aren't drug across a 20 foot sheet of liquid sandpaper.

My clousers are no bigger than the first two segiments of your little finger. Colors are white with orange beard and all white.

JapanRon
[signature]
JapanRon:Check out this months Western Outdoor Mag. They illustrate how to tie a fly on a circle hook.
[signature]