Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
holiday events at the white house
is it just me or has anyone else noticed that holiday events at the white house that USED TO have some public participation ( kids ) has been changed over the last few years ?

this year the members of military familys were able to participate in the anual easter egg hunt , but because of security concerns there was no public participation allowed .

this has been going on for a few years now , and i'm begining to wonder if washington realisies that events like this are just not for government employees and there familys . i'm sure everyone is now screened by the secret service or cia or the fbi before entering the white house grounds . this excuse just seems a litle lame to me .

limiting acess is one thing but this seems more like a ban twards the general public . has the idea that the people work for the government reached our highest level of government ? , or have they forgotten that the white house and the moneys that pay for these events come from the people they work for and represent ?
[signature]
this has always been a company event. meaning that it has always been an event since its introduction as a cartoon holiday.

there is only so much room for people to stand. I dont begrudge them for having their one and only family day. I think it is quite bold in light of what is going on around the globe.

the event has always been restricted to family and guests. the fact that they anounced it this year realy is a farce to sell newspapers.

sorry to pop a bubble here, but since the assasination of president linclon, no president has had a single moment of true privacy. body gaurds hound for miles in every direction sniffing out posible threats.

on this one they get no greif from me, I rather applaud their having a family day.

A well known fact is the the united state government is the only industry in the world that employs more people than the sport fishing industry.
[signature]
i would never begrudge the presedents family there personal life , the easter egg hunt has always been a public event at the white house since jackie kennedy started opening the house to the public . i'm not critisicising them holding it , but they used to invite schoolchildren from underprivilaged neighborhoods thruout the country . they have halted this practice , and to me it seems that " being poor " is no longer aceptable enough for the white house staff .

if just one child can be inspired enough to know that he or she could one day grace there presence in that house as a leader of the greatest nation of the free world , reguardless of there ecomonic conditions or upbringings , just thru a simple visit at one of these public functions would be worth it .

who needs more dreams than the hopeless . one tiny spark of hope burning in a childs sole could one day fire up a nation into defeating poverty once and forall , or it could just pass this spark on to the next generation in the family . getting that spark to ignite , thats the ticket for these kids .

reguardless of what time and reality have worn away from my asperations , i still have the ability to dream , if not for myself , for my children and the children of others . they are our nations true wealth . our appointed leaders should venture enough into making a simple dream available to these children of lesser means , rather than dismissing there existance with an excuse of the impoverished children being a security concern . what made the other children attending risk free ?

children see no diference between themselves untill they learn it from our examples , shouldn't our represenatives give the best example they can when it comes to equality ?

segrugating the nations underprivilaged at an early age is sending the wrong message to these kids , they are not welcome to join in our nations political socitey because they are poor . as a religous holiday event observed at our nations highest office , they are not welcome to participate ,

why then should they become a good citisen , why belive in a government that dismisses there existance ? why should they dream of a better tomorow ?
[signature]
Lonehunter, I'm sorry, but I think that you are thinking about the televised event. This easter egg hunt has been going on for years. I can't remember when it started, but they used to have it on the capitol grounds until 1878, when President Hays was president because the first lady wanted it more personal, it moved to the Whitehouse. Usually they have about 40,000 people for the event, but this year there was only 12,000 people.

Easter is not a cartoon holiday, its the biggest holiday event of the year. Most people think that its Christmas, but its not, Easter starts six weeks before Easter and ends on Easter.
[signature]
thank you [size 1]fishingirl[/size] glad you joined in on the subject. I thought this event went back to near linclon days.

truely I mean no disrespect on the values of these holidays such as christmas, easter, halloween. what I refer to "cartoon holiday is the comercialazation of these holidays" meaning the comercial industry has incorperated fancifull incertions charitures in to these holidays, like easter bunny, the santy clause who flies around threw the air with reindeer, or monsers, ghost, demons and vampires who wonder the steets of darkness. these are with out a doubt cartoon chariters, well with exception that santy clause one. every one knows he is real.

dont get me wrong, I am not saying the comercialized version is bad eather, these fanticies have put millions of folks to work every year. it is a profitable industry with out a doubt. I enjoyed them as a kid, and I support them as an adult, and yes do I value and respect the true meanings behind all these holidays.
[signature]
to start with Bush was in texas while this event was going on.

as for the fact that bush beleives in the seperation of this nation's well to do and its poor, this is a well known fact. I cant argue this. My disability check droped in donomination this year because of his policies that seperate the wethly from the poor even further.

I watched the news today, they said these tax cuts would be benifishial for every one, by cutting the governments income and allowing the rich to keep more money insted of providing tax break incentives to keep people working. with these cut they ask you to buy their new brand of war bond called US Sucurity bond at a below standard intrest rates.

this has me schracthing my head on this one, how dose reducing government income, increasing government dept, tieing up potential ciculation dollars in to war bonds that causes further US Government debt help to improve the economy?

bushes brand of opression is no better than any one elses, but for this particular moment in time, it is posibly the lesser of two evils. I tend not to worie about it much any more, maybe it is age, maybe it is wisdom in knowning that we all atone for our transcressions sooner or later, and even though bushes brand of opression dosnt directly kill any one it dose cause deress upon the masses of his nation to which he has swarn to suport and lead in to an economicly stable and safe environment to live.

he has of cource failed to do ither at this point in time, what he has proven is his vengfull nature. Thats all fine, but the horse got out of the barn and he is still trying to close the door through military action.

dont get me wrong, I suport or folks in action and their job, and I do beleive that this job had to be done, and could not be done with out military action. the fact of the matter is bush is creating in this country what he is trying to get rid of in another country.

next year is ellection year you have your chane to say your opinion on ellection day. GET OUT AND VOTE!!!
[signature]
who says fishermen are just wasting time ? look at all the wonderful things that we contemplate before , during and after we fish !

gotta love that four letter word , VOTE , it's darn powerful !

thanks dave !
[signature]
YEA , THE ECONOMY HAS TAKEN A BEATING . I HAVE HAD TO SELL THE POP-UP CAMPER AND MY HUNTING TOOLS . THE 30-30, 12 GA., THE 50 CAL BLACK POWDER , AND A 22 .

TELL ME AGAIN MR. BUSH , HOW OUR ECONIMY IS DOING SO WELL . I AM A HUNTER , THIS HURT MORE THAN YOU KNOW . AT LEAST I STILL HAVE MY BOW AND SOME FISHING RODS . I GUESS THATS BETTER THAN NOTHING .

THANKS AGAIN ,MR .BUSH , I HOPE YOU CAN FIND A CONUTRY THAT DESERVES THE MONEY MORE THEN OUR CITISENS DO . AFTER ALL THEY EARNED IT DIDN'T THEY ? I LIKE BUSTING MY HUMP TO SUPORT THE REST OF THE WORLD .WHY NOT SEND IT TO FRANCE , I HERE WE AMERICANS ARE BOYCOTTING THERE GOODS , THERE ECONOMY COULD USE OUR MONEY TO HELP THEM OUT . HECK THERE THERE FOR US , RIGHT ?

I'N NOT BITTER , JUST DISAPOINTED .
[signature]
While I agree with all of the sentiment of Bush screwing all of us royally, I just wanted to take a moment to take a look at the other possibilities.

Had Gore won, Lonehunter would most likely not have been able to sell his guns. Gore would probably have had them taken away by now.

Had Gore won, the economy would probably be in a lot better shape, but the (so called) experts are blaming Sept. 11 and the war in Iraq for the slow down.

Would Sept. 11 have happened if Gore had won? From the information that has been released to the public, that was being planned long before the election, and would have happened reguardless of the turnout.

Gore may not have felt like he had to move on Iraq. Bush (in my opinion) felt like he had to for his fathers sake. The economy was on it's way back and probably would have continued with Gore in power, because Iraq may not have happened.

I am not saying that Bush is great. Do I believe that I see a quest for world domination in those beady little eyes? You bet I do! But I do firmly believe he was the lesser of two evils in the last round. I may not agree with many of the things he has done, but I back him all the way in protecting our heritage rights of fishing, hunting, and owning firearms. I just hope that a candidate will step up that shows more promise than any of them that are currently in the running. If Tom Daschle wins the next one, we, as sportsmen and women, are screwed more than anyone else as far as lifestyle goes.

I'll get off my soap box, for now. Just my .02, all I have anymore.
[signature]
well maybe i put things the wrong way , i'm not debating canadate a over canadate b . i'm just fed up with our leaders sending our hard earned cash to countrys that spit on our flag .

welfare people have better health insurance than i can afford , i have a job , i pay to give better care to them than i can for my own .

we have trillions in uncollected debt , loaned to other countrys , we keep dishing out more because they are "poverty stricken" and need an economic boost .detroit , l.a. , new york even our nations capitol has it's getto . in our rual area , you would not belive how some people live , not by choise but for lack of work .

let's stop throwing good money after bad and start investing in our nation's own people . 480,000,000 people lost there jobs here in america this week alone . instead of getting them back on there feet , we will be spending billions or trillions on rebuilding one of the richest oil producing countrys in the world .

what will our unemployed do ? hand outs ? , no , we need good paying jobs , better education and affordable health care . the same things all canadates promise and never deliver .
[signature]
you bring up the only thing that got bush elected. you are correct that gore would have made it more difficult to own guns, that is a fact.

true that 911 would most likely not have happened because the terrorist would have waited till the IDIOT IN THE WHITE HOUSE disarms america before taking action. then it would have been too late. Unfortunatly this probability still exsist with yet another election comming up next year. I sure hope that the democrats dont bring another sheep hearder to run our country.

this is still my opinion, I think they should arm every one before they allow any one to ever get on a plane. Equil rights opertunity I say. if some one is going to try to kill me I should have the same rights to try to kill them while they are trying to kill me.[shocked][pirate]
[signature]
[Smile]I don't think you put things the wrong way. I agree with you completely. the money going out, should be coming in and there is no question to it. I have not quite understood the policy of blowing them up and then rebuilding them. Jump starting the Asian market 25 years ago, just so they could buy half of America. Dumping Billions of dollars into third world countries so they will be allies, when they are not in a position or disposition to help us by location, use of land, or personnel. We have many problems in this country that could be solved with the same amount of money.

I had a friend and his wife living with me last year. She is on disability due to the emotional stress of having a historectomy. This is one of those classic cases where she saw an opportunity, and jumped all over it. I was around her for three months, if that is emotionally disabled, I'm emotionally dead. I mentioned to her that she had collected about $7000 over the year in benefits, that was roughly the same amount I paid in taxes that year. She said "Thank you." and laughed. Don't people like that just make you dick too?

I just noticed a fair amount of almost anti-bush feeling and just wanted everyone to take a moment to think about where we might be otherwise. Maybe better, maybe worse.
[signature]