Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 modification to the toon
Well I am probably going to get the toon wet before the new fish cat 4. I hope to be floating the Salmon river in April for Steelhead and have used the toon with the trolling motor only most of the time, so I need to get familiar with the oars.

I reassembled it to night, had it broke down for a few changes. FG had commented on the better choice for a battery holder to be aluminum and with my new job I had access to some and made a new mount. Thought I would snap some pics of the frame and mods while it was broke down.
[signature]
start prcticing rowing forward as soon as you get soft water or put in a soft river to get used to it
[signature]
Thanks I thought I might need to get used to that. I do have a question on fins, good idea or not so good? to wear them. Will they be of use or just in the way?
[signature]
I couldn't tell you that I just do stillwater, but the people I see keep their feet up my guess is so you don't clip legs on rocks or something. hopefully someone who floats rivers will be able to help you more.
[signature]
Thanks poky-mon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looks like you have been busy...and sniffing some PVC glue.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope everything works well and makes life simpler.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck on the river running. Fins are more for stillwater. Wear good wading shoes while doing the river.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How is the snow pack up there? What are the projections for water in the local lakes?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
snowing in poky
[signature]
I would not wear fins if I anticipated having to get through some heavy water but on my favourite Smallmouth river which does not have any challenging water i wear them all the time. I was amazed at how well I could control my drift through the use of fins. I'd say try it and see if you like it. In my mind, fins are like a trolling motor and I would never be without them for the hands free fishing they provide.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Your wimpy trickles up there are different than the Salmon River, in Idaho. Ever hear of "The River of No Return". That is the salmon. Only thing that returns are steelhead and salmon, but they can live underwater. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Michael,[/size][/black]
[size 3]Have you talked with anyone who has floated the Salmon River in a pontoon boat?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have fished for salmon on the Salmon River above Challis during the low water summer months, and personally would not float it then. I can only think of what it's like during spring run off.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Judging by the high water marks on the bank during the summer, I would guess that the river runs about 6 feet higher during run off.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I haven't fished the Salmon downstream from Challis, but I would suggest that you check with someone who knows the river and floating it.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I may be behind the times, but I don't recall of hearing of anyone floating the river in either a pontoon boat, or even a unpowered river boat.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
No I have not that is why I am asking for any info or warnings anyone might want to offer. I will probably call The Bent Rod and see what they say, as well.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have heard of white water rafting trips during the summer months, while the water is low. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that April is the end of the steelhead season, and don't have any first hand information on fishing success. I have never fished for steelhead, but my friends who have, always fished that area during the dead of winter.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Maybe I project the caution of an old maid, but the Salmon is a big river that I personally would not float. Before you go, please check with people in the area that have a knowledge of the river.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Remember that you have to have planned put in and take out areas. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I know we don't have any mountains where I live so the waters are considerably tamer. In deference to you westerners we call it "wimp water". Fins work great on "wimp water".

Micheal you need to look for wimpier water for your first few floats. Don't even consider soloing on a big western river.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Thanks for the blessing and info.

I have called The Bent Rod and he assured me that this is less than class 2 water, so other than riipples it should be OK. I did go out today and tried rowing forward in the wind and did ok for still water. It's definintly different than a row boat.[Tongue] Worked hard in the wind and got to where I was heading. I am going to take most of my "mods" off though. Not sure yet how I will do the rods (spinning and fly).
[signature]
[Image: CableCuff_1827.jpg]
I use these to secure one rod layed the length of the pontoon on either side of me. Carrying rods vertically on a river is not a good idea. These things in the picture are called cable cuffs. The guys on the sound team at my church use them to secure all the cables. (I sing with a pretty mobile praise team as we are waiting for our new building to be built. The old one burned down five years ago.) When I saw these the wheels started turning and the fellows gave me a couple to try. I use them on tube toon and kayak and they are great. Home Depot sells them.
[signature]
I like how they are reusable, thats a good find.
[signature]
I my self probably would not wear fins on a river.
[signature]
april will more then likely be combat fishing. not a pretty sight. get what you can before the season ends water it will depend on snowpack and how warm it gets and if you have a doubt on floating it play it safe and don't lots of bank to wonder on.
[signature]
Looks nice. I do have a question for you. How are you attaching the rod holder piece to the pontoon frame? bolt?
[signature]
I use scotty rod holders they are adjustable at all the different angles and they strap around the tube or they mount to the deck.

[url "http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/rodholders/fly.html"]http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/rodholders/fly.html[/url]
[signature]