Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling motor battery???
[Smile]I was wondering what brand battery do you guys think is the best for a 40 pound electric motor. This battery needs to last as long as possible as my small outboard does'nt have a charging system to charge it up going from place to place. I have had 2 minnkota deep cycle batteries for 15 years and one has gone the way of the wind and one is still going. Problem is that they are no longer avaliable to buy any longer. any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting my boat ready for some open water. thanks
[signature]
I have the cabela's advanced angler AGM batteries and they last forever! I could probably go 4 days of fishing without charging them. They're pretty reasonably priced as well. Just get one big enough to sustain a charge for the time you need.
[signature]
[Smile]hey thanks I will check them out I have some cabelas gift certificates that are needing to be spent thanks Zdr93523
[signature]
Get the big yellow wall mart specials. I used it all year with my 57 thrust and it worked great, kinda heavy for a toon but great in a boat!
[signature]
[Smile]hey orvis1 I tried a couple of walmart deep cycle batteries but they both shorted out and burned up my battery charge within the first 6 months. thanks I will keep doing some investigating on the batteries. thanks trfishin
[signature]
I'm sorry but I just can't buy that the batteries burned up you charger. That is insane. There have been other posts about this very same subject, and the Walmart MAXX batteries have shown to be one of the better ones! Here is one link. Use the "search" at the top of the BFT page to make some queries. You'll be surprised at how much info is out there. Also try on the freeformfishing.com site (BFT sister site) There has been talk on there too about batteries.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=400230;search_string=maxx;#400230"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=400230;search_string=maxx;#400230[/url]
[signature]
[Smile]hey Bearlakefishguy thanks for the info. I will check it out. As for the batteries chargers burning up it was from the batteries. When I took them back and talked to them about it they said that they had heard of a couple other people in different stores coming in with the same problem and found out the the cells were shorting out. They think it's from the battery viberation and shock the batteries get bouncing in the big waves that broke the cells (metal in each cell to come loose and touch each other and short the battery out). They said when you hook it up and turn the charger on and it blows the fuse or burns up the charger it's because the battery is shorting out across the cells. I have'nt checked out the MAXX but I will do it when I get a minute. thanks again trfishin
[signature]
That sounds a lot more logical with vibration, etc. The maxx batteries are a deep cycle, marine, so I would bet they are engineered to take the additional pounding. I know BLM, and a couple of others use them and our boats take a pretty good pounding at Bear Lake, Lake Powell, and Flaming Gorge, just to mention a few big waters that have issues with wind/waves.
[signature]

hey bearlakefishguy the walmart batteries I had were deepcycle but they were'nt the top dollar ones. get what you pay for I found out. these new batteries seem to be built a lot better. thanks
[signature]
Get yourself a couple of Stowaway Deep Cycle Marine Batteries, check the water level before you charge or head out fishing, and they will give you trouble free long lasting power for a very very very reasonalble price. Don't go the the expensive batteries you see at Cabela's or Sprortsman's. My two Stowaways cost $50 dollars each, give me all day worth of trolling and moving. Then, if I am fishing for more than two days somewhere, I fire up my Champion generatior and charge them when I sleep for 7-10 hours. Then I am good for another two days.[Smile]
[signature]
[Smile]hey thanks for the info. as I have been still debating which battery to buy and it's getting closer to open water so I had better get off of my lazy butt and get one. thanks for the help
[signature]