Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak paddle question
Hey Santa brought the wife a kayak for christmas and he forgot the paddle .
She will be using the craft on inland lakes , small streams and small rivers .
I see there are diferent styles (blade design) to choose from , what would be the best for the types of water she will be on ?
[signature]
I didn't know that Santa was so adament about getting the wife into watersports after all the Christmas rush. hee hee.

Since you are stuck with Mr. Quakers and she get the "Yak". Here is some important advice that will help you choose and even assist othes whom might have the same question but aren't ready to ask.

Although you can buy a cheap kayak paddle for less than $100, I highly recommend investing in a good quality, lightweight paddle. The paddle is one of the most important pieces of equipment. It is what you’ll use to move your Yak from point A to point B. Consider buying a paddle made of lightweight carbon fiber material. A kayak trip could require as many as 5,000 paddle strokes. Just a few ounces could save you a lot of energy when you factor in swing weight. I also recommend that you invest in a bent shaft. A bent shaft allows all four fingers to stay in full contact with the shaft while the wrist maintains a natural position. This increases your control while allowing you to reduce fatigue. After you choose a category (flatwater or whitewater), you will need to consider a couple things when selecting a specific paddle.

Sizing:
Once you narrow down your selection to a specific paddle, simply click on the sizing chart on the product page to determine the correct length. In general, if you paddle a flatwater kayak you will need a longer paddle, usually between 80 to 90inches long. A longer paddle gives more leverage in flatwater and allows the paddle to effectively reach the water, but it is usually unwieldy when trying to maneuver technical whitewater. Therefore whitewater kayak paddles are generally shorter than flatwater paddles and are sized by the person’s height. They are usually between 70 and 75inches long.

Blade shape: Paddle blades can be long, short, narrow, wide, as well as symmetrical or asymmetrical. Each shape has its benefits. A wide blade with a larger blade surface can provide greater acceleration, but will also create more resistance in the water. It takes more effort to use a large-bladed paddle than a smaller one. This can be an important factor as flatwater kayaking is more about endurance than it is about speed. A long, narrow blade will take more strokes to move through the same amount of water, but the paddler will be less tired while doing it.

Adjustablity: Most of the paddles that are manufactured these days allow you to adjust the Pitch in which the blades align to one another. You do not want a paddle that is fixed and can lay pefectly flat on the ground. It is important that it be more like the pitch of the propellor on an airplane.

That also helps create less fatigue and more enjoyment in the long run.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or clarification on any particular matter.

We are always glad to help all members here.[cool]

Overall, I would recommend getting 2 sets of paddles for the 2 different styles of paddling that she will be doing.
[signature]
Do you have any Brand names to research and choose from ?
[signature]
Some of the better entry level paddles are made by Aqua-Bound. There are other good brands as well like: Lendal, Werner,and Epic.

Colorado Kayaks have some good selection. Look them up for all the good details.[cool]
[signature]