Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Kind of Boat?
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Hi guys, I’m new here. I was looking for some suggestions about what brand of boat to look for. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I need a boat I can take fishing both in lakes and in the ocean off of the California coast. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I only have a V6 Toyota so I was thinking I need an aluminum hull. I know Klamath makes a good aluminum boat but what are some other manufacturers that make that type of boat. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Also I was thinking a 16’-18’ boat. So how big of a motor should I get?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Thanks[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]ZC
[signature]
Lund makes a great boat for the money. I do have to pick my days for salt water in my 16'. Any time you go in salt water a deepV is always better.
[signature]
You don't have to get an aluminum boat just because you have a V6 Toyota. Before I bought my pick up, my wife pulled my 21' aqua sport with her Tacoma. It was a 2WD pre runner w/ the V6. The boat weighs right around 4500 pounds. Now that we have eliminated that issue, lets move on to the boat. The 18' boats of today have no wood construction, and probably only weigh about 2500 pounds.

Three names you can't go wrong with:

Mako
Boston Whaler
Key West

I prefer a center console for fishability. If you're trecking in the ocean, nothing will work but a Deep V, plain and simple. Consider what you're fishing for before you buy extras for the boat. (downriggers, outriggers, electronics, etc....)

I have an older 21' boat with a 150 on the back, and it will plane out at just over 45 MPH. A lighter 18' boat with a 115 would be more than enough. You might even could get by with a 90 if you weren't planning on going too far offshore. But if you can afford it, the 115 is just fine. So........

Minimum HP: 90
Max HP: 150

I wouldn't go any bigger than a 150 on an 18' boat. Anymore HP on a boat that size is a waste. Besides, you're buying it to fish right?[Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
i also agree for an all around boat a center console is the way to go.i would stick to the lower hp,because your going to be in bouncing between fresh and salt,and most of the weight is the motor.and from the sound of your post,you wil be staying inshore.there are alot got good boat manufacturers out there,the price ranges very alot.there is also some that still use wood in the construction,and that,i would stay away from.
here is some things to concider befor buying a boat

what are you planning to do with the boat?family outings,fishing,just floating around?or all mentiond

what types of lakes do you want to go on,and is there a maximum hp rating on the lake,are they deep,shallow,river settings

going in salt water,how far out do you want to go,
what is the average contions out there,such as fog,currants,boat traffic,rips.weather changes
with a smaller boat sometime you have to pick and choose your days.
and how far are you traveling to get to these bodies of water
answer these will help what kind of boat you will need,and size of motor,and any extras you might need to do what you want
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]Thank you all for your insight. I will be using the boat for only two purposes, fishing and diving (spearfishing). I was looking for something light not because I didn’t think I could pull something heavy but because I didn’t want the extra reduction in fuel mileage and speed, one of the places I like to go fishing is Baja Mexico, which is quite a drive for me, like two days. [/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Also something that might help refine my search is that I will be buying an older boat. I can’t afford a brand new boat; I will probably be purchasing something from the early 80’s. Just guessing from the prices on craigslist. With that in mind is there any brand I should stay away from? And was wood construction more prevalent in that time period? [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]Thanks again
[signature]
yes wood construction was the main form to boat building then.the composite stringers,and transoms were just starting.
when looking at a aluminum boat,look at the bow to see if its been run up on shore,this would wear down the thickness of the metal,another thing is look at is rivits,look for missing or loose,this would cause leaks.you could ask to flood the boat with a garden hose,this would show any leaks,look around the transom for cracks in the corners,dont be afraid of pulling on the transom to see if theres any give this would be a sign of the wood getting soft.now in the boat,walk around every inch of the floor,even in the corners.check for cracking noises,or give,dont be afraid of bounceing your weight ,if theres any access plates,open them up and look for rotted wood.if the boat has a built in gas tank,find out what it made of.if it fiberglass,i would plan on replaceing it,or runnin portable tanks.the ethenol gas eats fiberglass,and makes a big mess of the motor
[signature]
i would look at starcraft,they have been in buisness for 100 years

smokercraft they been around for 40 years

lowe and lund,are also good,they are owned by the biggest boat builder the brunswick corp,they make 49 different boats,also mercury,motorguide,quicksilver,mariner
[signature]
I just brought a Mako 181 and for what I love to fish for this boat out ways itself. It can go shallow and if you what to go out a little it will make it. I fish the Georgia coast line.
[signature]
Trophy makes some nice boats in that size range and good for rough weather.
[signature]