Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacramento River facing salmon 'disaster'
Sacramento River facing salmon 'disaster' [Image: dave.strege.jpg] DAVE STREGE Register columnist
OUTDOORS
[url "mailto:dstrege@ocregister.com"]dstrege@ocregister.com [/url] [url "http://www.ocregister.com/sports/low-season-fishing-1998955-salmon-year#slComments"]Comments 0[/url]| [url "javascript:recommendReview('OCRArticle1998955')"]Recommend [/url]0

Unlike other fish species, salmon come with a crystal ball that can predict what kind of fishing season is in store for anglers.
And it is usually accurate.
Predictions are based on the early return of jack salmon, the young male fish that are the crystal ball.
If jack counts are high one year, one can expect a high number of returning adult salmon the next year. If jack counts are low, the return of adult salmon will be low.
Sadly, on the Sacramento River, the return of jacks last year was really low; so low that there might not be a fishing season at all for the fall Chinook run this year.
"The word disaster comes immediately to mind, and I mean a disaster much worse than the Klamath fishery disaster of 2006 (resulting in a very restrictive Chinook fishery)," Pacific Fishery Management Council chairman Bob Hansen said in a recent release.
The PFMC has been meeting this week in Sacramento to develop three management options to present for public comment. A final decision on season restrictions will be announced at an April 7-12 meeting.
The long-term average of jacks returning to the Sacramento River is about 40,000. The return of jacks in 2006 was a record-low 10,000. In 2007 it was far worse: only 2,000, according to PFMC data.
Over the previous 10 years, adult returns averaged 416,000.
In 2007, the return of adult Chinook salmon to the Sacramento River was 88,000, falling short of the annual goal (122,000 to 180,000) for the first time in 15 years. The low number reflected the low jack count of 2006.
"They're expecting a return as low as 54,000 fish to the river (this year) without any fishing," said Jim Martin of the Recreational Fishing Alliance.
The math indicates it could be far fewer.
"What the numbers are telling us is, there wouldn't be any fish out there even if we have a season," Martin said.
"So No. 1, you won't find them and No. 2, do you want to catch them if you do find them?
"From the perspective of recreational anglers, it's important to preserve what's left of that run and the escapement, and so I think there's a lot of sentiment from recreational fishermen that they don't want to take that last fish."
The ocean salmon fishing season is to open April 5 from Point Arena to the Mexican border, but that could change with an emergency order from the PFMC.
"It's very devastating and it's going to be very hard on local economies," Martin said. "Here in Fort Bragg, the season opened Feb. 17 and I don't believe a single fish has been landed in the recreational fishery."
The reason for the salmon decline is uncertain, the PFMC said. But many anglers blame the water diversions from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta to the south, which has had devastating affects on the smelt fishery.
Water quality in the bay and poor ocean conditions could be other factors, Martin said.
Anglers, many from Orange County, target the fall run of Chinook on the Sacramento River, the season usually starting in mid July.
If there is a season this year, it will likely be limited. For updates on the issue, visit www.pcouncil.org.
Lake Cachuma update:A decision on whether to ban the launching of private boats at Lake Cachuma to prevent the introduction of quagga mussels has been put off until March 25.
The Santa Barbara County board of supervisors also voted Tuesday to create a subcommittee to study the issue.
Currently, boats can't be launched at the lake because the ramp is being re-constructed. Park ranger Jeff Long said it is scheduled to reopen March 22.
[signature]
That really sucks about the Salmon.

I used to catch them up in Sacramento as they would return to do their duty.

Others used to catch them in good numbers off of the Channel Islands in Ventura.

The reports have been very scarce for the last 6 years.[crazy]
[signature]
I live near the California Delta and have trolled for salmon on the "Old Sac" from about Rio Vista to Walnut Grove for several years.

I simply gave up two years ago due to the poor results for my efforts, and went back to sturgeon or lake fishing during the fall season.

I don't plan to try again this year, regardless of the decision that is made about closing the entire season for everyone. It's a Sad and mysterious situation.

www.fishwisher.com
[signature]