Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Briggs and Stratton
Has anyone purchased the 5 hp motor? I've been checking them out and was wondering if anyone here had one? The reviews on basspro said it was pretty loud? Any info would be great, (good or bad). I have a 12ft aluminum and was also wondering if I could slow it down to a good trolling speed? Thanks.
[signature]
Just here say but i have herd that they vibrate pretty bad?? M.H.
[signature]
I think that they would work fine for trolling, but I understand they are air cooled which could be a problem in the summer. I would look at the nissian motors at cabellas I think they have a 6hp for 1K that is what I have on my boat and it does the trick.
[signature]
I have one I put on my 15ft when I go trolling ... better than my 2-stroke 15hp johnson for these activities because it doesn't foul, will idle for days with no issue. I haven't noticed any terrrible vibrations - the exhaust is above water, so less water noise, more noise by your ear (like a lawn mower) I just added an extra muffler extension to muffle a bit more... I like it, always starts when uber-cold (duck hunting) has plenty of power to move my 15ft flat bottom through the wind (slowly)... all in all I give it an A+ for the money.
I also have a 15HP johnson which is what I normally use for moving around the lakes and rivers at a quicker pace....
[signature]
Briggs and Stratton Makes great motors. This air-cooled 5HP is very loud though. So much for peace and quiet of fishing. I would just be patient and buy a 10-15 HP Johnson, Evinrude, or Nissan Marine (or Tohatsu). It would be well worth it. A 5 HP is pretty slow too, for a 12 foot 160 pound boat + equipment.
[signature]
I run a 5 hp on my 16'er and have no problems. I also ran a 5 hp on my 12' aluminum and could get up to 8 mph. Some of us will never be able to afford a $3000 motor so we do the best we can.[Wink]
[signature]
Good point, good point. A 5HP is good for low elevation lakes like 3500-5000 feet, good speed. Apart from the noise, the Briggs and Stratton is an excellent product.
[signature]
My brother got one of those motors 2 years ago. He has had zero problems with it at all. Runs it on a 12' aluminum. This engine is no speed demon. It'll get'r done just fine & trolls all day long.......
Have noticed the price increased over the past 2 years. I'd echo the statement "Sounds like a lawn mower."