Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long can you troll with an electric trolling motor before the battery goes dead?
Like can you troll, say with a Minn Kota 30 lbs thrust motor with a good deep-cycle battery for more than 4 hours or whatever?
[signature]
I've gone at least 4 hours with my MinnKota 30 on my pontoon without running out of juice with my walmart battery.
[signature]
When I got my first electric trolling motor I tried using a regular battery and I rarely got 4 hours out of it. The deep-cycle batteries are a different story, I've gone all day depending on the speed I was going and if I was pushing a head wind or not. Of course the size of the battery makes a difference too. WH2
[signature]
I used to troll yuba all day long with a 36 lb thrust trolling engine and i had a big deep cycle battery . The bigger the battery the longer you will troll. I trolled for walleye so i didnt go fast.I paid about $110 for that battery it was worth the money.
[signature]
I've got a 70 powerdrive/autopilot and I swear it'll go a week without charging. Everytime I check it the batteries indicate a full charge, but I charge it up anyway just to be safe.
[signature]
Something is seriously wrong because I can't get anywhere close to 4 hours out of my batteries. I have had the batteries checked and they checked fine. Not sure how to test the trolling motor.
[signature]
I'm not sure how to check the motor but my motor has a battery meter and I can fish for 10 hours using the trolling motor all day for positioning and the battery meter will show full when the day's over. I have a 70lb 24V motor and two 27 series batteries and I rarely need to use the motor over 50% of its thrust so that's probably a big factor in how long my batteries last.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I think that if you're getting that kind of life out of a battery charge, it must be connected up to, and charging from your large boat motor.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have both batteries charging from my big motor, and have never had to put a charger on the battery that is connected to my trolling motor.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
My trolling batteries are independent of my cranking battery, but I do have a 3 bank charger, so they all get plugged in when i get home
[signature]
Current,wind, stop and go, waves, and what you are trolling affect the hours on the battery. You should be able to get a good 5-7 hours on medium speed and about 6 hours on the highest speed before the deep cycle goes almost dead. What brand battery do you have? Why don't you get you a gas or propane 1000-1500 watt generator and charge them up during the night or whenever you are ahore doing other things? You can get at Champion 1500 watt for about $200, and its made right here in the USA. My champion is as dependable as can be, starts up every time and uses very little fule. I once ran it for 10 hours on about a gallon of 87 octane gasoline.[Smile]
[signature]
I just get a $5 extension cord and plug the boat in to wherever I'm "roughing it" and its all ready to go again in the morning!
[signature]