Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I wasting my time?
TUBE DUDE i know they don't get used by the peeps that are here but people like me that are new to the sport this is some really good info. I've been learning alot about Blue lake and i'm taking a trip to it in a few weeks thanks to the info you have on it. [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
My opinion is come open water season these will get used more often. I have been in and scoped a few out like the directions and general tatics. For the up to date stuff I look on the main board.. I really hope the new site allows larger pics that can be copied and pasted from photobucket like many other forums allow.
[signature]
.....this is so embarassing.... fortunately I can post with annonimity and do not have to show my face with my ignorance... how do I get to "archives"???

Maybe this is part of the reason the archives are not used more?? Could be that there are members who are as BFT ingorant (lazy?) as I am. I always hit the forums and enjoy them thoroughly. I seldom post because I don't have a lot of info to share that would be of interest to others. Guess I'm what is referred to as a "lurker" -- is there a negative conotation to that moniker??

Anyway, would someone with patience and understanding for the computer challenged among us please point me to the archive button?

Obliged.
[signature]
Click on Utah Fishing Forum near the top of the page and it will show you all of the Utah forums.
[signature]
[#0000ff]There is a sticky post at the top of the main page of the Utah General forum. That's why I put it there...to make it easy to find. What else do I need to do?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've only been fishing less than a handful of times since school started for me in the fall. For just about every one of those times, I've looked on archives for information on the places I went and found it very useful.

I agree with comments made above (orvis1) that in the coming months it will be used much more. I didn't use it much before just because I was ignorant of what was there. Now that I've dived in a bit, I love it! I'll undoubtably be surfing those threads much more here in a few weeks.

As far as all the repeat questions go, answering can be greatly expedited by just copying a link to the pertinent section of the board. That saves a lot of time rewriting things that have been said over and over.

There are times that I like looking on the main board for the most up-to-date reports, but others when I don't feel like hunting all over for just a couple of posts, in which case the archives are perfect.

I realize that a lot of people already have their tried-and-proven tactics and opinions, but for newer guys like myself, I'm really glad there's a place like the archives to turn to. I don't think that it helps near as much as actually fishing with others and learning from them first-hand (because of which I think Kentofnsl's "invites" thread is a great idea), but since time and circumstances don't always allow that, it's the next best thing. Thanks, TD!
[signature]
Duh! I was looking across the top of the home page for a button or whatever. Never even thought to look in the forum posts for a sticky.

Thanks Tube Dude for controlling your thoughts when you responded to my post. Must be frustrating for you at times dealing with people on the dull normal side of IQ. I appreciate all you do for the forum.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No problem. Nothing personal. Sometimes I do wonder why I try to make things easier when everybody else wants to make them harder than they need to be.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, I am like most other people. I always outsmart myself by overthinking a situation when the obvious solution is sitting right in front of my face. Duh! Welcome to the human race.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Some of us are just waiting for ice off so we have some open water to fish then is when it will get used...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, you can't fool me Cliff. I know you just look at the pictures. You don't read that stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, you shoot some good pictures too, so I guess it is alright.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well ol' buddy I have to side with the suggestion to "go fishing". Are you wasting your time? Well that depends on how a person looks at it I suppose. If your doing it merely for the pleasure of doing it then No your not wasting your time and effort. If your doing it to provide someone with helpful info regarless whether its needed now or later, and you dont mind spending countless hours compiling info, then No your not wasting your time. But if your doing it in hopes folks will check the info provided in the archives, etc..., before posting and asking for help or info, then yes your probably wasting your time. It falls under the heading of laziness.

Ask me, I know, [Wink]
[signature]
Sorry TD, the last time I went looking, (over several days) they were in progress, but not ready yet. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. I will start looking now that I know they are done and updated. Thanks again for all you do.[cool]
[signature]
I've only looked at the archive a couple times, mostly in the "ponds and streams" section, and ones for my local spots. Once I actually start fishing (next Tuesday, I hope!) I'll probly use it more.

This reminds me of me... I keep EVERYTHING regarding documents (paper or electronic). Which is good, you never know when you'll need something old Wink
[signature]
Well,------------, I guess I'm unusual? Anyway, I think I've looked at most every topic in the list at one time or another. I don't look at em every day but I have looked many times during the year. Most often used - State Parks, Ut. Lakes & Ponds, and tackle/gear/etc. I have to admitt though the last time I tried to look up reel info. in the tackle/gear area I couldn't find hardly anything. Maybe I didn't look right? I know there's been a lot posted in the past but nothing in the Archives??? Was looking for some spinning reel opinions/ratings. Anyway, for what it's worth I use it!
Leaky
[cool][#0000ff]So far, I have included only posts from about the first of the year. There is another archive board that has a lot of that stuff from the past. [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][#000000][size 1][b][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=129;"]Fishing Gear, Gadgets, Techinques, Tactics &Tips[/url][/size][/#000000][/font][/#0000ff][/b]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have no idea how tedious it is to go back through all the past threads and try to update the new archives. I probably will not do that. But, any new stuff that gets posted will show up there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for your comments.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I take a look whenever i see a new reply. I think it is great but i also think it will be under utilized. My .02.[Wink]
[signature]
I have a few different things to say, so bear with me.

I have not explored far afield into all the different features, neither with the past iteration nor this new one. "You don't know what you're missing" applies for many of us I'm afraid. As a moderator I stay pretty busy just reading all the posts. It is like a buffet, and I think most of us go for the same thing every time and neglect looking around to see if there's anything else we might just like. (I go straight for the shrimp and fish/main board.) During this time when many of us have extra time on our hands would be a good time to go exploring.

One of my responsibilities is to archive posts to the various lakes' forums. We try to keep ahead of a year back so that those who want to see what was going on a year ago can check it out. I try to select something for each included lake and look for those threads with the most information and discussion. I've learned a lot. I strongly suggest that you check them out before you head out again this year--even old dogs can learn new tricks. I'm just starting to learn how to do it on this new site. I too have wondered if all my work was going to waste. 

Pat, your posts are appearing odd to me. Is that you or the site or me or what? It is in bold black and each line is preceded by some sort of code, and followed by another.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

It is likely because that thread is TWELVE YEARS OLD and the formatting that used to show Pat's posts in Blue is no longer operable.
(03-21-2020, 03:20 PM)Yanavar Wrote: now on quarantine, so there is a lot of free time to study

(03-22-2020, 09:09 PM)catchinon Wrote: Pat, your posts are appearing odd to me. Is that you or the site or me or what? It is in bold black and each line is preceded by some sort of code, and followed by another.
Craig I see it as well. Could this be a different between "quick reply" and the "New Reply" tab? My opinion would be to eliminate the quick reply since new reply is more advanced. Why do we need 2 different reply settings?
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF