Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is best Fishing boat/outboard
After 14 years in my 16' crestliner 40 HP fishing rigg, I want to upgrade. I'm looking at the following boat packages with double console. Packages also include Minkota Elec trolling motor and canvas enclosure. All are aluminum V-shaped boats.

- Polarkraft 17' 9" V-179-TC with Yamaha 90HP EFI 2-stroke. (Don's Marine) $22,000

- Lund 17' 5" Classic 1775 Lund with 90HP Mercury EFI 2-stroke (Petersen of Riverdale) $25,000

- 16' Smokercraft Pro Angler 162 with 60 HP 4-stroke EFI Mercury (SS Marine) $16,000

- 17' 2" Smokercraft Ultima 172 with 115HP 2-Stroke EFI Mercury Optimax (SS Marine) $25,000

Was also considering Tracker boats but have heard they have poor construction and Tracker will do anything to get out of the warranty.

Other Questions:

Which is the best fishing boat weighing price vs quality?
Which is a best motor, Yamaha or Mercury as far as performance and quality?

Can I haggle boat prices the same way you would when buying a car?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I'm no great expert on boats or outboard motors, but I can give you my experience with boats. I have had my Lund with a 6 cyl inboard for almost 20 years, and it's still like new. I have never heard of a Lund that developed a problem with the hull. They are a little more expensive, but well worth it. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think if I was in the market for a outboard, I would not be looking at anything but a 4 stroke. All of the manufacturers offer them, and they have many advantages over the 2 strokes[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that if other Lund owners reply to this thread, they will also echo my praise for their craft.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[url "http://www.thunderjet.com"]www.thunderjet.com[/url] good solid lifetime boats.
[signature]
Why not another Crestliner ?? I have had mine for 4 years and it has been a great, reliable boat. My friend bought his Lund around the same time, it cost more and been in the shop more than on the water. And definatly go 4 stroke on the outboard.
[signature]
[size 1]Mercury Optimax great engines[/size]
[signature]
I am no boat expert here, but here is what I have to say. After 14 years of good service, why do you not want your boat anymore, apart from the upgrade. Why pay all that extra money and interest, just for a few little "comforts" in new, upgraded larger boats. Your boat will give you another 14 years of service, if you take care of it. But if you really insist on getting a new boat, take a serious look at North River, a boat manufacturer in Oregon. Their website is [url "http://www.northriverboats.com"]www.northriverboats.com[/url]. If you are going to spend $15-25K on a new boat, look at their Trapper, Commander, Mariner, Bayhawk, and Seahawk moderls. These guys can tackle some serious waves and currents, plus they are really deep and wide for their lengths.

How much will you be selling your Crestliner for?
[signature]
I haven't been that impressed with my Crestliner boat and Merc motor. Just didn't want to go to the expense of spending the money. The boat I have has some design flaws (Fishhawk 16) which include: boat to shallow, sits too low in the water with 40 HP. Crestliner USA used friction washers instead of preasure washers so I had to redo all screws. If boat is even slightly out of balance at full speed or rough water, water will hit the top inside edge of the boat and drain right into the boat. Had to install a sump pump so could pump water back out. could not find a trim setting that would correct the problem. Drain weld came apart (fortunetly while dry docked and is was tightening screw.

Have also had problems with the 40 HP Mercury Carborated motor. Oil senser had to be replaced several times. Hydrolics to help lift motor failed about when the warranty expired.
[signature]
Several reasons I wish to upgrade:

- Current boat has poor design and construction. See "why not crestliner" reply
- Current boat sits to low in water and in rough water you get wet.
- Speed. I'd like to get to the "hot spot" quicker
- Size: Want a bigger boat with plenty room for my son and father. and the deeper higher ride will keep everyone dry.
- canvas enclosure: again to keep my aging father 76 (does'nt like the cold so much anymore) and 5 1/2 year old warm and dry.

Dealer I'm thinking of buying the new boat from has offered $2600 which is in-line with the NADA guide book.
[signature]
If you havn't bought a new boat yet I would give tracker's deep v boats a look. I have the targa walk through model and a windshield is a must. Those new ETEC motors are the way to go but very pricey.
[signature]
I am suprised at your problems with the crestliner. I have a 99, 17 ft fishhawk with a johnson 115 and a 5 kicker. I have had no problems at all. I love mine and plan on keeping it for many years. Only thing is I might go to a 4 stroke.
[signature]
This is the age of the internet and since you only have local boat dealers listed I would recommend at least google-ing all the brands your interested in.. for example try "Lund for sale", "smokercraft for sale", etc.

At least you should be able to get a feel for the boat you want and what should cost. Plus alot of Pros sell their boats yearly and you get a get discount for a used boat.

Again knowledge is power and if you're adding a "new member" of the family please get the one your going to enjoy the most!!!
[signature]
I have a 19' skeeter fish and ski model and it has realy been a good boat. Its light for pulling with any six cylinder truck..I have a yamaha 150 on the back and it realy scoots fast. 7 years of great service and still looks new.

If you get a chance go down to Dicks boat shop in Clearfield.... Awsome boat!
[signature]
Last year i upgraded to a 16.5' Alumacraft 165 Navigator Sport with a 90 HP Mercury Optimax. WOW, what a killer fishing machine. Much wider than any other 16 footer, double bow plates, 15 storage bins, very light weight and it goes like a scalded cat, even up at Strawberry. Very well built, comfortable and incredibly easy to fish from. I looked at all the rest (Lund, Crestliner, Smokercraft, all good boats) but found the Navigator to be a cut above the rest. Personal opinion I know. Check it out. Mr. J.
[signature]
This is my favorite. It's a 21' Triumph. This was taken up at Henry's in Idaho last year. Best all around trolling boat ever. It's made of propylene...unbreakable. It has a 200 horse Yamaha and a 15 horse Mariner for draggin gear...[Wink]
[signature]
That is a beautiful boat.
[signature]
Thanks. Yeah it's beautiful and loaded, but i enjoy my pontoon nearly as much. Something about getting more in touch with the water and the fish. I've hooked some 5 and 6 pounders near the ladders at Strawberry in my toon and it's a hell of a lot more fun than draggin gear in a bigger boat. I will admit that I can cover more ground with the bigger one though!
Thanks for the reply, tight lines.[sly]

Steve
[signature]