Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo Bite Report
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size] [left][font "Times New Roman"] [size 5]FLY HOOKER SPORTFISHING[/size][/font][/left] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Captain George Landrum[/font][/size][/center] [center][url "http://by106fd.bay106.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=E9B24425-C6D6-4EFA-86B7-D5501A565871&start=0&len=13726&src=&type=x&to=gmlandrum@hotmail.com&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002&a=c34e9bb5eef4c0%20"][font "Times New Roman"][#000099][size 3]gmlandrum@hotmail.com[/size][/#000099][/font][/url][/center] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]www.flyhooker.com[/font][/size][/center] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Cabo Fish Report[/font][/size][/center] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]March 24-30, 2008[/font][/size][/center]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]WEATHER: Wow, did we ever have great weather this week! I was telling my wife yesterday as we were driving out of town that I wish it was like this every day, then she reminded me that if it was, there would be too many people living here! Guess that’s right, I mean it was 11 am and it was a beautiful 77 degrees out there, and only 67 when we got up in the morning. We had lightly scattered clouds all week and this wonderful weather. Sure am glad I was here this week![/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]WATER: The winds from the northwest were on again, off again this week as they kicked up for three days during the middle of the week. This resulted in rough conditions on the Pacific side of the Cape and in the Sea of Cortez offshore. Along with the wind came a strong push from the California current, bringing water along the Pacific coast as cold as 61 degrees. On the charts it looks like a finger cupped around the Cape, pointing toward the east. The warmer water, in the 71-degree range at the end of the week, was outside the 1,000-fathom line again. Earlier in the week it warmed up to 75 degrees in a warm eddy that spun across from the west to the east, then went beyond our immediate area. The water between Cabo and the 1150 and north of that line has been a consistent 71-72 degrees while the water on the Pacific side offshore has been a much cooler 67 degrees.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]BAIT: Mackerel was easily available at the usual $2 per bait and there were also Caballito at the same price. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]FISHING:[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]BILLFISH: The Striped Marlin bite picked up this week, not red hot by any means but much better than it has been. Most of the fish were found outside the 1,000-fathom line and in the warmer water on the Cortez side. Most of these fish were on the surface and caught on live bait, but a few were attracted by lures and bit on drop-back live bait or were hungry enough to eat the lures. My guess is that the average was a fish for every other boat, with a few boats managing to hook up and release two or three per day. One nice thing I heard early in the week was of a Black Marlin reported to be in the 400 –pound range being caught by one of the fleet boats while they were fishing for football Tuna outside the 1,000-fathom line. That was reported as happening on Tuesday. A few more Swordfish were sighted as well, but there were none reported hooked up that I heard about.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]YELLOWFIN TUNA: Football Yellowfin in the 6-15 pound class continued to be the fish of the week as almost everyone willing to get out 30 miles was able to get limits, some more than limits. It usually did not take long as the fish were very hungry and multiple hook-ups were the norm, as three or four lines would get hit at the same time. Boats with just one client aboard went to pulling only one or two lines. The fish slowly moved to the east over the course of the week and the best bite was between 180 and 210 degrees during the start of the week and between 170 and 140 degrees at the end of the week. A few boats were able to get into slightly larger fish averaging 30 pounds at the end of the week, but rough offshore conditions made keeping sight of the Dolphin pods hard to do.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]DORADO: There were a few more Dorado caught this week than last week, probably due to the eddy of warm water that passed our way. Most of the Dorado were caught in the warm water as boats fished for Tuna. Average size was around 15 pounds but a few boats caught doubles on fish in the 30-pound class.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]WAHOO: What Hoo?[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]INSHORE: The rough water on the Pacific side combined with cold green conditions that started early in the week meant the inshore fishing was not very good this past week. That is not to say there were not fish caught, but the numbers were down from what we had been experiencing. The Sierra bite was spotty; a good trip resulted in a half-dozen or so to 10 pounds with the average size around 6 pounds. There were Pargo found in the rocks at the points and still a few decent Yellowtail were found. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]NOTES: I don’t know if the warming of the water is a trend that is going to continue, but I sure hope it does. It seems that the water getting warmer means better fishing for us. I am going to get out this week and give a few things I have been working on a try; I’ll let you know next week if they work out. Until then, try and keep a Smile on your face, things could always be worse. This weeks report was written to the music of my dog snoring in the background after a long morning at the beach! Tight Lines![/size][/font]
[signature]
Hi there Capt. George

My wife and I will be in Cabo from April 12 thru the 19th. We are very interested in charter fishing, but cannot handle the full boat price. Are there other couples looking for people to share a day rental? Also, 30 miles out for tuna does not appeal to us, are you catching anything closer in?

Thanks for your input.

Allan Barney
[signature]
Hi Allan,
Sounds like you want to fish on a panga. [Image: fish-on.gif] Inshore fishing is great fun, lighter tackle, only 5 hours and much more affordable. Send me an email and I'll send you more details.
Capt George
[signature]