Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best lure choices for spring eyes
hey guys ijust want to share some tip,s on spring eyes. threw the yrs ive had the most success with twister tail jigs. glow and chartruce being the all time kicker for #,s and big hens. the second best producer has been a 4 inch sassy shad in perch. diffent vibration after they have seen every color twister. fish both right tight to bottom ticking it every foot or so while you real. keep rod tip at about 9 oclock while realing this keeps line up from between the rocks better. loose less jigs. alot of the bites you will not feal with a walleye in spring. it will just feal like you picked up a small weed or a rubber band like fealing in the line. other times they stop it with a bang. tandom rigged twisters is best most days when fish are active. single smaller jigs make us fish slower to remain in contact with bottom for in active days when fish wont chase. good luck this spring guys. ken
[signature]
I'm new to jigs and lures on the bottom, do you use a wait in front of the jig?
[signature]
Sassy shad, grubs black and orange or chartrusse and crank baits in perch colors. Bottom bouncers as the year gets along.[Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
Never caught spring eyes except on the west dike at Willard with 4" pearl curleys.
[signature]
alot of the eyes in willy spawn at the inlet. no big news. but they stage for a few weeks before around the mouth before it merges with the main body. both rocky points we have caught them on under the light pole at night was good and the south side durring the day.[Wink]
[signature]
Yeah, but with 6" of water?
[signature]
is the water moving at all? if so yep they love to spawn shallow right on the bank. but if not. yr done!!! the dikes are it for this yr. the north side of the island is a good spot right at the bottom of the drop off.
[signature]
They will let water in the south channel starting on the 11th. There are NO rocks on the dikes under water either. So now what? I fished it with Crankem on friday for 5 hours without a hit.[Sad]
[signature]
if there is no place for them to spawn, they won't. in low water periods like this the fish are already streesed enough. now they have no place to drop their eggs, and they might not. around the island might be a good bet. fishing at night might also be your best bet during the low water. later chuck
[signature]
Same old tactics(cranks) at night or is there secret marble eye medicine for low water/night time?
[signature]
i like jigs in the shallows best. but you might just be out of luck at willy this yr.
[signature]
I catch 90% of my eyes on jigs
[signature]
Reef Runners and Wally Divers.
[signature]
im moore in the 60 % on jigs and 20% on hanesses% the other 20 on cranks. utah lake 100 % on jigs. yuba 90% on harnesses. deer creek 33% strait between the 3 differnt presintations. but by far jigging is my favorite way to hook into eyes.
[signature]
All i can say is i have a long year ahead of me trying to learn this science of catching eyes consistently. It's fair enough to say that this will not be a easy chore. But i look forward to the challenge. And thanks again for all the advice Ken. hope to see you on the water again soon!
[signature]