Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROVO RIVER (REPORT)
I went and fished the Provo last night at the campground just below Deer Creek. There were quite a few people when I got there, but the hole I wanted to fish was empty luckily. The weather was beautiful and the fish were cooperative. I caught six fish and four of them were 18 inches or better. I caught them all on a gray scud with a red bead and flashback. I'm not sure if it is really a scud but it kinda looks like one. They sell the fly at Parks in Orem and it is one of Eddie's specials. I have always done good with this fly. I hooked some nice fish in another hole on a disco midge but couldn't get the hook set good enough to keep any on for very long. I fished these flies on a 6 ft leader below a casting bubble. I can't fly fish but this method always works well for me. Anyway, the fishing is good so get out and give it a try.

Hoosier
[signature]
Hey Hoosier sounds like you fly fish to me. You do it like I do. It's called poor mans fly fishing. And it works just as well as all that exspensive stuuf. Congrats on the good evening fishin. If you want to move a little farther up the river it has been decient Noreth of the Midway bridge. Hey X the browns are biting. Most are avriging around 18 inches. Head in off 40 and hike about 3/4 of a mile back (you will have to cross the fence, but it is ok to do so). They were tearing up a #2 mepps this morning. I didn't have much luck with anything else though. Heck I only caught 4 fish but I was only there a couple of hours. Had to be back home before the wife woke up (hate sneaking off to go fishing).
[signature]
I guess I'll give a secret away here. I was fishing the same section of the provo, just below the campground. The nymphs had ceased to land any fish just after the sun went behind Timp. I put on a black wolley-bugger with a gold propeller on the front ("pistol pete" or "buzzers" at Sportsmans in Provo).

My first cast put the fly on the bank. I about cursed because I thought I would lose my fly on the first cast. I twitched it and it came free and went into the water. It wasn't 6 inches off the bank when the biggest brown I had ever caught on the Provo smashed it[cool]! When I got it to the net, it easily measured 19+ inches maybe more, and was a stout 2-3 pounds. It had to be at least 4 inches across its shoulders. I had 5 more hits, landed 3, all in 20 minutes. All the same techniqe. Cast as close to the bank as I dared and worked it across the current. I was casting straight across the current, or down and across a bit.

The last fish slammed it (again about a foot off the bank) and broke the fly off. I neglected to put a swivel on the line above the fly and my line got all twisted up and brittle. I also had 2 small split-shot about 10-12 inches above the fly to get it deep quick.

I was using a flyrod, but the setup would have been easily worked up with a spinning outfit. I'm not confident in my casting with a spinning rod yet to use it on a river. I can put a fly consistently within a 8" circle every time with a flyrod.

Best of luck and good fishing. I've heard the big browns will slam streamers early morning and late evening. I can vouch for the late evening!

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
thanks for the heads up road. i have decided to give the brown trout a break this spring and fish for other species. i went through my photo album and decided i have way to many pictures of brownies need to fill it up with other stuff now. but im sure ill end up there a few times this spring anyway i just cant avoid it hehe.
[signature]
big browns will hit streamers all day long if you put it in the right place and have the right color combo. high noon vary colors. towards morning and dark use black. little secret for ya.
[signature]
EmuScud , Were you fishing right at the end of the camp ground ? There use to be a beaver home there and a very large brown . Last time I seen her was about 1998 but she looked to be over 10 pounds 30 plus inches . I never could get her to bite . And if I ever hooked it I don't think I could pull it out of that rats nest of a beaver home . tight lines
[signature]
I don't know if there was ever a beaver dam there or not. Right at the downriver side of the campground, there is a massive hole. I would estimate that it is at least 10' deep. With clear water, I still can't see the bottom. I was wishing I had some heavily weighted jigs with me so I could get down on the bottom.

I caught a couple in that hole and others down stream.

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]