Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a Float Toon
I saw there was at least one other similar post, but I thought I'd put one out there that's more specific to my situation. I'm moving back to Utah next week, and I'm thinking of buying a pontoon boat for lake fishing this summer and fall. I only began fishing last summer (at age 23) and I just wanted some general advice from all you experienced anglers. What is the advantage of a pontoon over a tube? Is there much risk in going cheaper (I'm a 230# fish myself)? New vs. used, and the risks associated? What features should I make sure to get? Can a motor prop fit on any model, or do I need to be careful, in case I wanted to get a motor down the road? Any brands or vendors I should watch out for? What do people usually regret after making such a purchase? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! And if I get one, if anyone wants to go out and better show me the ropes on a Saturday, I would be happy to drive or pitch in for gas! [Wink]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT and thanks for posting. We have a forum devoted exclusively to tubing (be sure to explore the ARCHIVES AND REFERENCE THREAD):

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=405975;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]Click here:[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm going to move your post over to the Float Tubing board, to see if we can get some more input for you. While you are here, take a look around. Lots of past threads along the same lines. I am also attaching a writeup that will give you more input.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want a motor, you will need to get a pontoon. Totally impractical for tubing. Pontoons will get you further and faster but tubes are better for fishing small waters and for simple handsfree fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have lots of get togethers and newbies are always welcome. We were all there once ourselves so we are sympathetic to the cause.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of tubers and tooners in Utah.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was a fortunate one who was able to try both, and while I like the toone as TD said you can get out a little father and move faster, weather it by via motor or oars. I personally prefer a Tube such as a Northfork Freestyle H3, Outcast Fat Cat, Super Fat Cat ect. There are some fine ones to chose from.

As for buying used I would just make sure it is a good brand. check it over inflate it ect.

Regrets only one and that is I do not have more time to fish.

Majja
[signature]
I too have had the opportunity of owning a toon and tube, I originally started out in the tube (It think it was a browning) but the tube was stolen out of my suv and I eventually upgraded to a toon.

Honestly I wish I kind a had both I know that probably dosent help you much but I like to toon cause im sitting out of the water, its much faster and im no were as tired from rowing than kicking around the lake.

But unless you own a truck or a utility trailer setting up a toon can be a bit time consuming I live in a 3rd story condo and dragging the toon back and forth is a bit cumbersome also there some tight places were I fish and it would be nice to drop the tube in and start fishing were as with the toon It would be to hard to carry it through the woods rather I have too to row across the lake to get there.
[signature]
If the funds allow I think the NAV II by Northfork outdoors is one of the best of the crafts going. Made in the USA with quality parts, urathane bladders ect. It is frame less so it stow easier in a small vehicle, has oars and a motor mount. The biggest down side to the Nav II is you will spend some $$$ to get her, but she has a good warranty, not to mention the company is local to Utah if that matters to you.

Majja
[signature]
I am going to agree with all said here and agree with Majja, if you can afford the Navigator II it is the best of both worlds.
Just for the record however, you can put a motor on a Tube, with the addition of a FLOAT POWER (around $100.)
[Image: powerfloat.jpg]
I know it works cause I still have one, but you do have to license a Tube or a Toon if you put a motor on them.
One more advantage to a pontoon, is you don't need full waders. Hippers work great or just wet wade it. You only get wet just below your knees.
[signature]