Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
powerbait
i fish trout alot and ran out of my favorite powerbait........salmon peach! nowhere around where i live has it......what should i do?
You could always try to find it online. I'd try even ebay and see if anyone has some to sell. If you just can't find it, contact the company. If they have discontinued it you may have to find a new favorite. I'll look the next time I go to Sportsmans Warehouse, but I don't use powerbait... so I don't have an answer right now. But, I'll check next week.
[signature]
thanks for responding!.....what do you use for trout? i have found the power bait online but it is either WAY high or on backorder!....
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Flies work well. Not the type that lands on your nose when you have both hand engaged. LOL[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4]Here is my favorite- BTW that is a Royal Wulff.[/size][/#008000][/font][/center] [center][/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=35054;][/center]
[signature]
I use flies quite as bit... but my favorite is a renegade. Wolly buggers in dark colors have treated me good as well. Royal wolf is really good too. There are a lot of great flies out there. Fortunately my dad and brothers tie all that I need! I also use spinners quite a bit for trout. Panther Martins, Mepps, etc. These have always worked great for me. If I am trolling for trout I use my kokanee salmon gear. This seems to work better than my traditional "trout gear." Rocky Mt Tackle dodgers and lures have been working great for me. This time of year I have my best success on oranges and reds. Later, when the fish move deeper, pinks, blues, and chartreuse start to work best.

Anyways, plenty of options other than power bait! Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like more specific info on rigs. Do you have a boat, or are you shore bound?
[signature]
The rainbow and the green powerbait have both worked well for me. My favorite lure is a silver Kastmaster in both the 1/4 and 1/8 oz. . Hope this helped[laugh].

pa
[signature]
I looked for your flavor in the local tackle shops here, including the cabelas... nothing. Have you had any luck finding it?
[signature]
[Smile] yes i did find that kind at a local walmart.....and i stocked up good on it! umm would your bother and dad tie me any flies for cheap possibly? and do you use them on a fly rod of wat?
[signature]
and to bkidder yes i am shore bound.....that is because i mostly fish in the creeks around here and at a pond not big enough for a boat.......please respond to my earlier reply!
[signature]
Hey Troutman,

There is a premier fly tier on the web who sells what he calls "seconds" that are a bit less than perfect flies for a real discount. His name is Ian Collin James and his web site is [url "http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/"]http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/[/url] I hope it is ok to put this link up.
[signature]
thanx....that was very helpful.....i will look into buying some from him!.....is he a good tier
[signature]
I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. They don't sell anything for cheap! Sorry. We use flyrods and spinning outfits with good success either way.

Good luck
[signature]
wat is their price range? and what is a spinning outfit?
[signature]
They actually just don't sell them at all. My brother did for a while tying them for a company. He found that it just kind of made him hate to tie them, so he quit. It looks like you got a link where you could get some good ones though.

By a spinning outfit I just meant a spinning reel and rod. I am heading to the lake in about 5 minutes, but when I get back I'll post up a description of a fly rig that works really good. And the nice thing is that you don't need a flyrod, or the ability to cast real far. Look for my post about monday or tuesday. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Talk to you later, bkidder
[signature]
oh..ok! thats ok....i actually went out and bought me some joe's flies and they worked great in the creek i was fishing in!.....even better than my power bait!
[signature]
Sounds like youre well on your way to becoming a fly angler. Congrats on your success on the streams!
[signature]
thank you! do u fly fish alot or mostly troll?
[signature]
I grew up fly fishing streams and lakes. Thats pretty much all we did most of my youth. On occasion we also fished powerbait and good old Zekes Corn flavored bait with my grandparents. When I was a senior in high school we got a small boat and started trolling a bit. I soon got my first downrigger and it was over. We've since upgraded boats and added a lot of other extra's to our trolling.

I probably troll 80% of my time fishing. I vertical jig tubes probably 10%, and then fly fish the other 10% of the time. Its all a lot of fun and each has its time and place.

Are you fishing only streams?
[signature]
basically yes! where i live in virginia there are mostly creeks. there are some ponds but they are so big that the fish stay in the middle and forestry wont let peopole take little boats in them not matterm what so yes just streams and creeks! but the creeks are stocked!
[signature]
[quote Troutman5]oh..ok! thats ok....i actually went out and bought me some joe's flies and they worked great in the creek i was fishing in!.....even better than my power bait![/quote]

My dad and I bought 4 flies yesterday from joe's and each cast lost the lures. Talk about a waste of 8 bucks!
[signature]