Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Fat Cat Frame for Flyfishing
Being an incurable flyfisher I have never yet seen a float tube tricked out to do all I think it could do for my particular brand of fishing. So I decided to borrow ideas I've learned in the 3 years I've hung around this forum and redo my tube. Up to this time I just strapped on a Scotty rod holder, strapped on a Fishin' Buddy fishfinder mount, dropped in the finder, stuck my net behind the seat, and went for it, using only two rods. This has served me well but you can't hang around here without your brain being stimulated. So here is my latest incarnation. Nearly all of it is borrowed ideas from this forum. Any constructive suggestions are appreciated.

To begin, I really liked [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=220785;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]ATFishing's design[/url] (minus the bimini top) with the rod holders tilted back 45 degrees. Besides the rod position (which is needed for fly fishing) what appealed to me was the possibility of thinking outside the box. A pontoon boat is a rigid frame with pontoons attached. This would be a rigid frame with a float tube attached - a bit of a different viewpoint that puts the emphasis in the frame rather than the tube. (A regular arrangement is a float tube with a rod holder/tool holder attached.) Two ways of looking at the same thing, I know, but it helps me see the possible benefits of a rigid frame.

One of the things I've not liked about each rod holder I've made is that as the tube relaxes in the normal warming and cooling of the water, the rod holder tends to relax as well. The rods sway. A bungie helps but still it depends upon the way the rods lean given the current pressure of the tube. If the tube is attached to a rigid frame the rods will always be in the right position and will never sway. Same with other things attached to the frame.

I know that some of us are limited by the size of our automobiles so a frame may be out of the question for you. For me the frame/tube slides perfectly into the back of my Ford Ranger with the canopy on. I can keep the tube aired up with the frame firmly attached, slide it out when I arrive, top off the air, and I'm ready to go. No strapping or cinching.

I constructed the frame so that it will disassemble for storage if I'm tight on space. The back crossbar is held by a bolt on either side. Just remove the bolt and the frame comes apart into three pieces. (Not sure how that will work once I have some miles on the thing. It might loosen up a bit.) With the frame disassembled, the tube can be deflated and I'm no worse off space wise. With the frame assembled, just drop it on top of the tube, hook up the four side clips to the d-rings, string and stretch the bungies, and the frame holds tightly to the tube. Rigid. Doesn't move at all.

To me, the little space taken up by the cross bar is worth giving up for the benefit of the rigid nature of the frame. (Oh, and yes, it's a little harder to inflate the seat with the frame attached. But if I keep it mostly inflated it isn't difficult.)

Three other things to point out. First is the black 3 inch pipe held on the side by three hose clamps. Perfect for the Fishin' Buddy finder. Second is the "drop slot" design of the flyrod holder tubes. Slide in the butt of the rod with the reel attached, rotate it into the slot, and like a bolt action rifle, it's locked and loaded. (Sand them smooth so they don't eat up the cork handle.) Gravity keeps it there. I shaped the slot with a Dremel tool and one of the optional cutters available. I included a picture below. Cuts PVC like butter and allows fast and easy cutting/shaping. The third is the net holder, which is the "T" attachment on the back of the side with the rods. Net just slips into the notch. It is offset so the net doesn't tangle with the rods.

The rigid apron is still in the experimental stage. The greenish blue one matches the tube's color, but is a bit too large. I'd rather not cut it down because I usually do a butcher job on it. The smaller black one works fine but could be a tad bigger. I'll keep looking until I find one that is just right. Thanks Tubedude, for the PVC tube/bungie idea. Works great.

[cool]So, I'm ready to fish again. In fact, I've already taken it to our local city lake and caught some stocker trout - which I ate. Yum. So I know it works.

z~

[signature]
Aaah, the winds of change and development blow once again through the tubing world. That's what's good about this forum!

Thanks Zonker for sharing your latest and newest.

QUOTE: [size 1]Second is the "drop slot" design of the flyrod holder tubes. Slide in the butt of the rod with the reel attached, rotate it into the slot, and like a bolt action rifle, it's locked and loaded. (Sand them smooth so they don't eat up the cork handle.) Gravity keeps it there.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
Thanks for this one especially. never saw that one before ....
A simple mod and the fishing rods/poles lock into place better and safer than ever before.
I am making a new tube-tackle holder right now, as it happens, and this idea has to be added to the plans right away! Excellent!

Norm
[signature]
Very nicely done, Zonker! That's some great engineering. Out of all the past posts I've seen on fly rod holders, I think I like your design best...it's the least bulky and most efficient. Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to start sniffing the PVC glue again...8 days and counting till finals are over!
[signature]
NICE! Let me know what happens with three fly rods all pointing out back in a row. I have to stagger mine, cause you I form a slight bow to keep the line tight and if I go in a straight line, they would get tangled up in each other.
So, I have one straight back then one slightly out to the left and next one a little more out to the left (like a fan).
Allot of petrolium there[laugh]
[signature]
Very nice. I almost tried to build something like ATFishings set up but didn't have the space. Seeing yours I might have to try it after all.

Only thing is your cuts are too pretty. Perfectly shaped groves and stuff.[Tongue]
[signature]
I haven't seen many home made Fly rod holders on here. Probably just me.
But that would be the only way to build one. Sorry but they have been out for quite a while. In fact I had ONE many years ago that was a single ff holder out of PVC and the opening just like Zonkers, except it had two slits on the back at an angle . You threaded a nylon strap though the two slits and wrapped it around one of the tubes. Because the slits were at an angle, the PVC pointed back slightly like Zonkers.
You guys do realize however, that the more petroleum stuff we buy, the higher the price is going to go. Just a thought. I don't even use those plastic bags at stores anymore.
[signature]
[reply]
But that would be the only way to build one. Sorry but they have been out for quite a while. In fact I had ONE many years ago that was a single ff holder out of PVC and the opening just like Zonkers, except it had two slits on the back at an angle . You threaded a nylon strap though the two slits and wrapped it around one of the tubes. Because the slits were at an angle, the PVC pointed back slightly like Zonkers.
[/reply]

[cool]Certainly no claim to originality in anything I've described here. In fact, it was a phrase that I recalled several years ago from Alan (FG's other half) that employed the metaphor of a bolt action rifle to describe a flyrod holder that suggested this design. Could be that was what he was describing. I just hadn't seen anyone here actually make one or incorporate the design into a tube setup.

FG, good observation about the possibility of tip tangles. Though I haven't observed that problem yet, I was wishing I had offset the angles a little to prevent that possibility.

For the record, I did attach the tubes with bolts rather than cement so they can be changed out later if necessary for larger or smaller flyrods. My three and four weights rattle around too much and the seven or eights don't fit inside the 1 inch tube. For these I just pull the bolt and insert a different sized tube or the same size tube with tighter cutouts.

z~
[signature]
For the record, I did attach the tubes with bolts rather than cement so they can be changed out later if necessary for larger or smaller flyrods. My three and four weights rattle around too much and the seven or eights don't fit inside the 1 inch tube. For these I just pull the bolt and insert a different sized tube or the same size tube with tighter cutouts.

My hat is off to you on that end. That is stepping outside the box for sure!
Right on!
[signature]
Neat and very nice! On photo number six u used bolts and nuts to lock the rod holders on, did u glue the 45 degree elbows to the bottoms? I like a rigid set up.
[signature]
[reply]
On photo number six u used bolts and nuts to lock the rod holders on, did u glue the 45 degree elbows to the bottoms? I like a rigid set up. [/reply]

I did glue the elbows onto the frame, then put the bolts through the elbows and rod tubes. If I were doing it over again I would probably glue the shaped rod tube to the 45 degree elbow and put the bolt into the elbow and frame. That way I could control the angle of the rods so as not to have the potential problem that Flygoddess mentioned about tip tangles.

z~
[signature]
Some kind of snap rings (or rods or is it pins I can't remember a name of one I have one on my boat with a chain for the drain plug) would come in handy as you can remove and turn then snap back on without having to mess with the nuts....
Just some ideas....
[signature]
Zonker it looks good. I played around with a cross pc like that for a while. I even built one that holds the Battery. In the end I am actually simplefied mine a bit as while I was driving my truck no issues, but since it is not running at the moment I have to use my little car. But for what it is worth I did like the concept. of the rigid frame. Your cuts on the rod holder are very beautiful and clean, you do have a steady hand there sir.
[signature]
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

z~
[signature]
[#0000ff]Hey, Z, sorry it took me awhile to reply on your wondrous new ride. I have been off the computer a lot...both because of personal things and because of the BFT changeover. But, here I am.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Everything really looks good...well planned and executed. As always, the ultimate test will be how it fishes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I recognize a few of my ideas and I'm flattered that you found them worthy of "accomodating". Looks like you have looked at a few other pic posts as well. I assure you that your post and pics will find a place in the archives and will be an inspiration to new generations of tubaholics.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Unfortunately I cannot see pics since the site changeover.[mad]
[signature]
That is a loss as he did a great job. Hopefully they will show up again latter.
[signature]
if you go to his blog (link listed on the bottom of zonkers profile).. he has all the same information there..

MacFly
[signature]
MF How do I pm you?
[signature]
I dunno.. it used to be that you clicked on my display name and then clicked on private message.. dont see that now??

just send me an email sis.. excite or gmail.. either one cause I check both..:-)

MacFly
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The pics are still in the system...just not showing up in the links. They will pop up when Admin finishes the picture part of the new BFT.[/#0000ff]
[signature]