Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfest Report 4/12/08
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry, this is gonna be brief. (FROM ME ????) I did't get my pics downloaded last night and I am headed out to Willard this morning. Will add my pics and more commentary later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]These pics are from Bassrods. Thanks Cliff. Will post more later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Great turnout, but the kitties were coy. Two days of north winds and cooler temps slowed things down a bit. Catfishgitter and tlspyder13 scored a few...as did Geezer and his boat. A couple of others here and there, but slow otherwise. A heavy smell of skunk in the air.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I started late, figuring on a slow bite. I got three white bass and a carp. TubeBabe skunko. I will let everybody else post their own stories and numbers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not as many people showed as indicated they would. But, hey, this is Utah. Some of them are probably just showing up. Still a great turnout and I think everybody had a good time. Thanks to the organizers and all who contributed.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great pics Thanks for the quick post and good luck at Willard
[signature]
I had a great time time at the catfest even though I didn't catch anything.

It was good meeting other members and running into others I have fished with before. Didn't get a chance to meet everyone but wish I had.

Thanks to all of the cooks, the food was great.

Hats off to Catfishaholic for the knives he donated to the contest and all others who donated.

And a big thanks to Chris for organizing the party.
[signature]
Tubedude, I love looking at the pictures you post from Utah lake because you always get the lady in the back ground. I love that mountain. One time only I was on top of her.
[signature]
That get together was a lot of fun!!! Bruce had a great time eating and playing with all the other kids.Even though he caught only one fish a 12lb carp on 4lb test he had fun fishing.Even after the cookout he still wanted to fish so we hit the south cove.He wanted to use his tackle he won .It was great meeting some old bftrs and new ones. The food was great and it looked like everyone had enough to eat and then some.TDs fried kitty cats were awesomely yummy!![Wink] And those who didnt eat fish there were plenty of hot dogs and burgers and plenty of snacks and drinks.The prizes were awesome too especially those knives.Thanks to everyone who contributed it made for a truly great get together.
[signature]
Thanks to all the people who made it happen and helped. The food was great and so was the company. Was nice to put faces with names and meet new people.

Maybe next time we should invite more fish though.[Tongue]
[signature]
O.K. I didn't make it. I was Turkey hunting. Then I saw you had a picture titled Dike Lineup and automatically I thought it would be a picture of,,,,, Never mind.
[signature]
It was a lot of fun and the food was the best (the beans ) I think its called five bean but any way it was great and the catfish, all I can say is

IF YOU WASN'T THERE YOU MISSED OUT...

So far this year BFT has had some great get-to- gathers and it is sure a lot of fun meeting all the great BFT'ers we have here...

NOW WHEN AND WHERE IS THE NEXT ONE????
[signature]
[cool] [#0000ff]Okay, here is a bit more narrative and some of the pics I took. The others were from the DUMP sent by Bassrods. Before I even opened the first of several loaded emails from him, I had a notice from Comcast saying I was over 90 percent of my capacity. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I slept in Saturday. Our experience has been that kitty chasin' at Lincoln is not great early in the morning after a big north blow. We did not launch until after 9 AM. We usually have a pretty good day going by that time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Neither of us had more than a couple of hits from cat-kind. She landing nothing. I brought in 3 white bass and 1 dorsal diner carp. Kept the carp for future catfood.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We did enjoy the day. Sorry to find that Vivid Dawn was ailing and had left early. Hope we didn't wipe her out with the gory cat filleting. Filleting cats is worse than butchering hogs. Lots of blood.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks to Chris for setting this all up, and everybody else who helped contribute! Somebody asked when the next one was... well, if it's an annual thing, I guess we have to wait aaaallll the way 'til next year!

Watching the fileting was actually kind of nifty. I've never seen it done before...and to me, that seems easier than "cleaning"/gutting. I'll have to try it some time, if I ever get any fish this year LOL
I think I was less squeamish than some of those little boys around that part [Wink]
[signature]
Was a slow day but had fun we caught 1 channel about 15 inches, and 5 muds, and the weather could not have been better, thanks for the catfest everyone i really enjoyed it.
[signature]
What an incredible day Saturday was I met a lot of really great people and the fish tasted awesome. I don't think it could have been any better. My kids loved meeting and playing with the other kids. Not sure if anyone took pictures of the kids while they were playing but I did if you want them I will email them to you.
Thanks to everyone who made this possible. Hope there will be more in the future.
[signature]
hi pat...
with this new BFT format, I don't see the pics that you or anyone else attaches to the post. Is this a problem others are having? Maybe it's my connection from here at work. i'll try again tomorrow.

hope all is well.

Derek
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They are still working on the picture features.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hang in there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]Perhaps this is the place to offer my thanks for the wonderful time my son and I had last Sat. This is my first post (“be gentle with me”), [Smile][/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2] and I’m fairly new to Utah, and to fishing. Running into Icerman at a party last year and going out with him has helped me to be quite confident catching on ice, but being successful on open water has remained a mystery... [:/] So when I saw the “Catfest” – I figured what did I have to lose? My expectations were exceeded 100 fold. My son thought it was “awesome” and skipped his soccer game to stay later.

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]I’m a visual learner, and being only somewhat familiar with tactics and terminology, some of what is talked about on the boards isn’t as helpful and specific as I need. So in addition to thanking everyone that contributed to the event, I want to give special attention to CatfishGitter, TubeDude, Fishhound, and Road, for being so very helpful in sharing their time, expertise, and even your bait and lures! [Smile][/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]Given what some have said, I feel sheepish that I actually caught 4 mudcats. And, I might have caught more if somebody had told me sooner that I needed to regularly check my lines to see if one was hooked. Silly me, thinking that a hooked catfish would even tighten the line!!! [Smile] My son and I went back out to fish some more after some eats, but didn’t get any bites though…

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]
[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]I’ll take people at their word, that it would be best to try again in a few weeks. As to spots for big channel cats, would someone be willing to post some GPS coordinates that I could put in Google Earth? Short of that, I hope a few of you can tolerate me asking to tag along with you. I’m self employed, so can go out a lot of days. [Smile][/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]For me, summer is the time that I have to go with my boys, and from what I kept hearing, it sounded like catfishing is the way to go! I’d like nothing more than to have my boys bring in something as good sized as what I heard about! So, I hope you don’t mind me asking you BFT members more questions in the future. (That is, once I figure out how to send a PM and even see those pictures with the changes to the site!) [Smile][/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]Thanks AGAIN!!
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 4]Glad you guys could make it and that both you and your son had a good time. It only gets better.[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 4][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 4]Stick around and don't hesitate to ask questions and to invite yourself along on posted trips. That's why we do it. [/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 4]You will probably also benefit by showing up at some of our Fishing 101 sessions. We will announce them as we can do them.[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 4]Nothing like personal experience to truly learn this sport. Reading and web surfing can only take you so far. But, there is no way to duplicate stinky bait and mosquito bites on the Internet.[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 4]Guaranteed. We will make a fisherman of your son...and you too.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT you will find the people on this board very tolerant of question and offering tips I can tell you this for experience. They have a heart of gold and will share with you whatever they have. Some may seem a little gurmpy at time but they really are teddy bears [Wink]. Take advantage of offers to go fish with people their knowledge of fishing with amaze you.

Don't fell sheepish about catching Mud Cat I didn't get a bit [laugh].
[signature]
I heard TubeBabe say that Mud Cats aren't really common, and when you can get any, they're practically a delicacy. So now, of course, I wanna get one! Wink
I also heard somebody (don't remember who, since I was all 'blah'-feeling anyway) that the belly/underside of catfish is the best part.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The bullhead cats are small but tasty. Many people look down on them because of their ugliness and smaller size...and because of their nickname...MUDCATS. But, if you fillet them and fry them up crispy they are as good as it gets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bullheads are not nearly as numerous now as they used to be. During the drought years of 2003 and 2004 the white bass were overharvested and did not get a good spawn, so their numbers dropped drastically. Since they are a primary forage for walleyes and big catfish, there was a hole in the food chain. The predators switched to eating small bullheads and whole year classes of the tiny tykes went down the gullets of bigger fish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During the years when bullheads were so thick that you couldn't catch anything else on your baited hook, it didn't seem possible that they could ever be reduced to a "SCARCE" status. But, that is what they are now, by comparison. Catching a hundred a day used to be commonplace. Now it is rare for us to catch more than a few on any given trip. There are many trips we do not even catch ONE bullhead.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You made reference to the "belly strip" of catfish. Many seasoned "cataholics" prefer that bit of fish flesh to any other. In larger cats (over about 4 pounds) that tidbit is large enough and thick enough to justify the extra care and cutting to properly remove and skin it for cooking. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The belly strip on channel cats is good, but there is no finer eating in the world than the belly strip from a hefty flathead cat. Fights break out at fish frys over who gets the belly strip from those flatheads. Of course, some of those goobers actually "noodle" for those fish too, so some of them ain't wrapped too tight.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#000000][size 4]Hey Roghet,[/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4][/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]It was good to meet you ! [/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]Welcome to BFT.[/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]When the dust settles on the new format (assuming it does at some point), Feel free to post up any questions about the things we discussed at the catfest. You will find the folks here at BFT are more than willing to share their knowledge. [/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]Or, you can also send a PM (if that part ever gets to the point where it can be figured out and used by anyone).[/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]Patience is a virtue for a fisherman - for a 21st century internet user it's a burden ! You can quote me on that.[/size][/#000000]
[signature]