Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do u ...
A couple friends of mine went on a fishing trip. He told me was their frist time flyfishing. They were flying for trout on a river said hooked a few and never got them close to land one. How do u do the river? He says when they jump downriver they got off the hook.
Years ago on a lake I used to troll a lure behind and those rainbows would take it and jump in the air I learned to lower the rod while they were in the air then pull back a little when they fall does this work on a flowing river?
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hi there Bluegillman and welcome to the fly board. I keep my rod low to the water until I feel a hit, my indicator disappears or my dry fly goes for a dunk. [depending upon my set-up] Then I set the hook , keep the rod raised high and keep tension on the line at all times. This is important whether you are using barbed or barb-less hooks. BTW you really can’t set the hook if you have a lot of slack on the water. It is also much easier for a trout to throw the hook when there is little tension on the line. That is why they jump out of the water. You would too if you had a hook in your mouth. Perhaps this is an over simplification of handling the line, but if you and your friends are truly interested in learning more about fly fishing I would suggest talking to your local fly shop and seek their recommendation regarding instructional DVDs, books and perhaps a lesson or two in casting. Good luck. [Image: fish-on.gif][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That is a tuff one to answer. I am running the visual in my head.
I have not lost a hooked fish on a river, that I can remember.
I think it is sometimes harder to get a GOOD hook set on a river fish if you are use to stillwater.
When they hit, I first pull the line with my stripping hand (left) and raise the rod tip in one moderately slow movement.
You do want the tip high on fighting, specially with barbless hooks. If they jump, I just try to follow them, or as you say drop the tip, but still try to keep SOME tension. Sometimes, I even try going to the side trying to steer them in the right direction.
[signature]
[cool]As FGD pointed out the rod is not held high when fighting a fish. I hold mine at about a 45º angle. To my right side if the fish is breaking to the left and vise- versa.
[signature]
The bottom line is to keep tension on the rod.

When possible, use the rod to keep the line tight. If there is a lot of overhanging branches or it is not possible to raise the rod then you will need to finger tip the line to keep it taught at all times.

When possible, wind the handle and use some of the drag on the reel. It will sure help especially when you are using a light leader for a bigger fish.[cool]
[signature]