Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To the Editor: Aubertine vs. Barclay
To the Editor:

I have no stake in the Will Barclay/Darrel Aubertine election due to my residency. As an ardent fly fisher, I rarely fish the Salmon River due to its obnoxious and circus-like atmosphere.

I do, however, understand the ramifications of the Barclay "victory" regarding access to "their" stretch of river: Thanks to their court case, a section of the West Branch of the Ausable River in Wilmington was posted a few years ago by the current ownership of the High Falls Gorge tourist attraction, who own both sides of the river.

This stretch previously had been open to fishing with access from Route 86. Now, access is denied, even from upstream. Of course, since fish know no boundaries, both owners benefit by the public investment in New York state trout stocking.

Furthermore, the liberal stream access laws in Montana are currently being challenged, and the Barclay ruling could give the plaintiffs (all wealthy landowners, some from guess where Los Angeles) ammunition to deny stream access to the public.

So, whatever one's allegiance, to Barclay or Aubertine, at least be aware of the impact the Barclay ruling has had on the angling public.

Howard Kligerman