Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8' Vs 9' Pontoon Boats
I have an 8' pontoon boat & looking to buying a 9' pontoon the Colorado XT.

Is there much difference on how a foot longer pontoon will handle? Will it track better or what are the advantages?

I talked to some people about the Colorado XT & there are quite a few upgrades from the previous model. The air valves are the same ones that are on my Outcast Fish Cat Streamer XL, so the leak problems from the air valves is no more. The stitching problems have been resolved also. The side bags are removable unlike the older model that the bags were sown on. The anchor plate you can move to either the right or left side. Also the denier is thicker on top & bottom than on my Streamer XL. And the oars are 7' instead of 6' on the Streamer XL.

Since Cabelas around my area will have these on sale for the $100 less & I found a buyer for my Streamer XL, I think I'm going to be getting the Colorado XT.

I'm just wondering if having a 9' pontoon will improve on the tracking.

Thanks
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Unless you need a 9' toon, for more floatation, there is no need to buy the larger size and extra weight. Some states have a requirement that you have a minimum of 9' for taking your craft on flowing water, but otherwise, no good reason.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Any additional benefit in tracking (small), would be offset by greater weight, drag and wind resistance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good to hear that they have corrected about the only two negatives on their craft (Colorado).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Everything Tube Dude said. I don't know if ONE foot makes a big difference in handling. I know I would prefer the bigger on big lakes for the stability thing. Not sure if there is even any more room on one considering they usually use the same frame, but longer pontoons.
The only other diSadvantage would be transporting.
Plus an Aluminum Frame as opposed to steel.
That one foot longer OAR is a BIG PLUS in my book.
[signature]
The tracking qualities of a pontoon boat, depends on the amount of length of each pontoon you have in the water.

Example: two 8 foot boats, one with pontoon tips that reach up out of the water has a shorter surface touching the water, compared with a boat with flat configuration on the pontoons where the pontoon tips are in the water. If I haven't made this clear, think of putting a 8 foot 2X4 in water and turning it end to end, and then one of 2 foot length, and doing the same.

It's more the length of pontoon touching the water than the actual length of the pontoon itself. The longer will track better, and be less manurerable (SP).

(observation: I think that the spell check on the forum is a worse speller than I am.)
[signature]
Good point Saber. FOOTPRINT. I think the Outcast duel pontoons are harder to maneuver than a single pontoon on each side, plus more on the water, more harder in the wind.
I have been able to experiment and TWO pontoons (one on each side) will tend to want to turn in the wind. But the new "V" shaped toon/tubes like the Navigator II and the Outlaw X5 or even the tubes that are "V" shaped are less likely to do this.
[signature]
wouldnt the two individual toons also keep the angler higher out of the water than the v shaped tubes, tube/toons.. and by being higher out of the water the wind will have more negative affect ?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I think it is the TOON design, however if you are a BIG Brick Wall of a guy[Wink]
I guess a person could be like a sail. I know in the Doughnut, I got blown all over and I sat very low.
[signature]
I also think usually when you are talking about the toons with 2 toons on each side they are smaller i diameter than the toons with a single toon. ie the Cougar I do believe has 8" diameter toons instead of the regular 15-16" toons as well
[signature]
..but you are a tiny little lady.. :-).. hell if I when wearing my windbreaker I am sure that if I spread my arms that I would be "sailing" all over the lake if there was a decent breeze.. [sly]
[signature]
[quote Majja]I also think usually when you are talking about the toons with 2 toons on each side they are smaller i diameter than the toons with a single toon. ie the Cougar I do believe has 8" diameter toons instead of the regular 15-16" toons as well[/quote]

They are 10" diameter not 8", but still the two side by side is more foot print, harder to maneuver than a single toon.
You are right that most toons are 16" and larger. Scadden has gone back to small diameter toons for Stillwater. You want the bigger for rivers.
Also keep in mind, the smaller diameter toon the lower you sit (like small wheels and tires on a car) Add to that, that most Pontoon co. make their frames dip in the middle for the seat. You are now very close and will on occasion get wet. I do have 12" diameter toons (even on the Navigator and the H3) but on my Pontoon the frame is right on top of the toons. Still on choppy days, it will look as though we are sitting on the water.
All boats are going to be effected by wind, it is just learning to deal with it, and new products such as the "V" design is making it more manageable.
I still prefer the OAR/FLIPPER/MOTOR option of a toon over a tube.
[signature]
Thanks for making my point FG. that is what I was getting at. You sit lower to the water.

I was just on NF's web site and the outlaws are sure pretty. I like th design

Hell just get the NAV II I think it is the best of both worlds. Small compact if deflated all the way will probably fit in most trunks, can take a motor and has plenty of storage space.

Majja
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are right. I jockeyed an Outcast Cougar for a couple of trips. There were smaller dual air chambers on each side. They made a lower wind profile, but added extra drag for rowing or kicking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ain't no universal solution to any problems...tubing, tooning, world peace, hunger or marriage...or computers or websites.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would have to disagree with you there master. 1 Billlllion dollars in the back would solve all my issues. I coulsd quit my job, buy one of each fish all i want, as well as the other toys. hehehe But here in the real life I would agree. It is a matter of finding out what will work best for your specific needs and desires.
[signature]
[font "Arial Narrow"][#500000][size 4]hell if I won a billion dollars Id buy all of ya the gear ya wanted.. and then meet up with all of you to go fishing.. wherever we wanted to go.. but .. reality check says that aint gonna happen.. and in that case Ill just have to keep going out when I can.. and peppering all of you with my comments and questions so I learn all that much more.. [/size][/#500000][/font]
[font "Arial Narrow"][#500000][size 4][/size][/#500000][/font]
[font "Arial Narrow"][#500000][size 4]btw.. I know the upgrades have been slower than thought and I for one think all the people involved in the upgrade.. are doing a great job of not only making the site look better and be more user friendly and in particular correcting all dem lil' bugs that always seem to pop up and get in the way when you least expect it.. [/size][/#500000][/font]
[font "Arial Narrow"][#500000][size 4]MacFly [cool][/size][/#500000][/font]

[signature]
[quote macfly55][font "Arial Narrow"][#500000][size 4]hell if I won a billion dollars Id buy all of ya the gear ya wanted.. and then meet up with all of you to go fishing.. wherever we wanted to go.. but .. reality check says that aint gonna happen.. and in that case Ill just have to keep going out when I can.. and peppering all of you with my comments and questions so I learn all that much more.. [/size][/#500000][/font]
[font "Arial Narrow"][#500000][size 4]btw.. I know the upgrades have been slower than thought and I for one think all the people involved in the upgrade.. are doing a great job of not only making the site look better and be more user friendly and in particular correcting all dem lil' bugs that always seem to pop up and get in the way when you least expect it.. [/size][/#500000][/font]
[font "Arial Narrow"][#500000][size 4]MacFly [cool][/size][/#500000][/font]
[/quote]

Suck-up![laugh][laugh][laugh] Off to Idaho, see you in a couple of days, hopefully with some cool flies.
[signature]
suck up??? how insulting.. brown noser maybe.. butt kisser maybe.. or maybe the one who guides the clouds of smoke up into (Ill let ya'll finish the rest of that one).. but suck up.. I thought you knew me better than that sis.. [sly]

have a safe trip to and from.. and have lots of fun in between those trips..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Good luck have a safe trip and don't forget to Hookem and cookem. (if ya do I will not tell all your other fly flinging buddies about the cooking)
[signature]
I am hoping she brings back new ideas and or extra samples and then spreads the wealth .. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The main difference between a butt kisser and a brown nose is depth perception.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Appreciate your appreciation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It has been tough and we still got a long ways to go, but getting there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
depth perception.. hmmmmmm guess I better make sure I have my glasses on then.. [sly]

... you are most welcome for the well deserved comment..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]