Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly rod repair
I had a relative just give me a fly rod that has a missing eyelet about half way down the rod. They somehow busted it off and have never used it since.

I have replaced the eyelets on the tips of some of my casting rods but I have never had to replace one midsection, especially on a fly rod.

Is this something I can do myself? The rod is almost brand new, so I am a little nervous about screwing it up.
[signature]
If you're talking about line guides on a rod, and have replaced them on other rods, the process is the same.

I'll look around the net, and see if I can find a site with good instructions for you to follow.
[signature]
Most definitely you can. I say that cause I can, and if I can, anyone can. You will want to find the RIGHT size guide, then some thread for rods, and the epoxy. The Guys at FISH TECH Byron, have all of this and they would be more then happy to help you. Once you have it all together and ready to put the epoxy on, you might want a motorized turner. It can be done with a cardboard box, but you will have to dedicate and hour to turning it for an even coat.
Like I said, check with Byron, I know he can help.
FG
[signature]
Attached is a site with instruction. If you can make sense of the explanation, and want to try it yourself, give it a shot.

FG's recommendation of passing it off to a shop, is a good idea,

[url "http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/index3.html"][/url][/url]http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/index3.html[/url]

PS: I just thought of what you're looking at, and it would probably be as cheap to have it done as to buy thread, color perservitive, and finish to complete the job.
[signature]
PERFECT!!!

Thanks for the responses. I will give it a try.

SBW
[signature]
Sure you can and you can do it by hand pretty easily and there are some smaller fly shops that will do it pretty cheaply. You might have to add the expoxy but that's pretty simple also.
[signature]