Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's offroading?
Anybody here still like to go offroading?
[signature]
who doesn't like to 4wheel these days?
[signature]
I love it. Sometimes my truck doesn't though.
[signature]
you can count me in, tho I am not adventurous as most.
[signature]
any offroading plans for this year?
[signature]
I do off-roading with some of my friends. I have a TJ with 3.5" lift. Unfortunately, the differential of my rig has a problem that needs to be repaired. Planning to fix it next week so that I can go back to the trails next month.

Edit: See FAQ above for the rules of this site, links are not allowed for new members.
Great to see some off-roading people on here. Recently installed the new set of Nitto tires we ordered from 4WheelOnline for the Wrangler and we'll test it out next week. We're planning for trail riding and fishing for a week soon, probably 2nd week of January.
[signature]
I'm new to offroading. I just started with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EwADV0NRU

I just set it up with the ultimate in tires for offroad winter trails to remote ice fishing locations and another set of wheels with sand tires for my surf fishing and driving on loose beach sand. They tell me it will get stuck, but look at the video. Besides, beaches are level.

I got a tow strap to tow out the stuck Jeeps. Wink
[signature]
Skylarz and group,

Merry Christmas!

I propose winter offroading can be more fun, greater learning experiences and safer when done as a group of two vehicles (or more), so let's plan a group adventure!

Considering pushing the limits of traction capabilities and winter conditions with weather that can quickly change when we're quite a ways from being back on good roads, I propose we go as a group, so I post here rather than private message because others might be interested, too. There's safety in numbers.

I have an annual pass for Utah State Parks and added all of the winterizing and off road accessories*, so I'm also looking at off road winter fun which will include ice fishing.

*Winterized for Offroading: No need to stay in on snow days!

New AGM batteries for both vehicles.

The new Blizzak Tires: The vehicle is certainly built strong to handle rough terrain well and not just crawling either, so to realize and enjoy it's potential, I oversized the tire selection to maximum diameter and width and with greater than usual tread depth on the snow tires with a 2800 pound load capacity per tire. The larger diameter will increase my ground clearance and go over roughness, bumps and holes better with less risk of damage on the snow covered off road trails.

I added tow straps (most likely not needed for me).

Come Along Winch

Full size shovel

Plenty of windshield washer fluid

0W-40 oil

RainX and anti-fog

SPOT Trace Satellite GPS location / communication

Food, water, warm clothing ...

Safety and rescue equipment

Ice Fishing Equipment

Aside from good choices of equipment and accessories, a most important part of the winterizing package is me. I'm very physically fit (bicycle racer specializing in the 100 mile races of large events that includes professional racers) and hardened to winter cold. I'm a problem solver. I have a multitude of skills and excellent physical endurance with a never give up mindset for success and I thrive in adversities far beyond the tolerance of most. I have plenty of accumulated vacation time, so my availability is high with advance notice.

I enjoy being part of adventures.

Let's plan ice fishing adventures that includes offroading!
[signature]
I will soon. I just have to make my truck off-road worthy.
[signature]
Any advise on what mods I should go for other than mud tires?
[signature]
Oops! I was checking frequently at first, but with low activity, I didn't check often to know you posted.

I'm still new to off-roading and I cheated compared to those really into it and experienced in what fails and in doing modifications, so I'm not the best one to ask about modifications except I know tire choice goes a long way in capabilities.

A friend who once worked with me was always breaking parts on his truck and replacing them with heavy duty and even after he got it very reliable, he installed an under hood welder because there is still always the possibility of things breaking. That and it was also the extremes of the way he would drive and push the limits.

I say I cheated because I haven't put in all the years of mishaps and breakages and replacements and modifications as my friend. I cheated because instead, I simply bought what was already tested and proven and even off-road race proven by the manufacturer.

Reliability is so high that I expect I will not gain experience with failures. I do my own mechanical work and the quality of the parts are impressive and they are built to last and not fail.

My vehicle was getting a lot of looks from a small crowd that gathered when I went to a hot rod show. I was just parked and not part of the show. One of them asked me what modifications I've done. I said the manufacturer already figured all that out and there isn't really anything left to improve because they already did that to the highest extreme. It's off-road race proven in the TransSiberian by beating all competition by a lot! No need to change a thing.

Having cheated that way, I have no experience with modifications. But, I am a strong advocate of supplies for the situations and trips you plan.
[signature]
Went Jeep'n!
See pictures.
[signature]
You went in a car!! I bet it was dragging bottom in a few places[Wink].
[signature]
Not even once. Push a button and I have more clearance than a stock Jeep.

Ronald Smile
Awesome, sounds like a nice machine.
[signature]
It has it's differences from a Jeep. Most off-road vehicles strive for great articulation of suspension to keep contact with uneven terrain with all four wheels. This makes it easier on dealing with slip of wheels that have less traction. On much of Rattlesnake trail, the Jeeps locked up their locking differentials and that can be useful. But, even having that capability at a push of a button, it wasn't needed for me because the traction management system distributed torque to each wheel individually as it was needed to track either straight or the desired steering curve.

It felt very precise in steering and control. There was zero fighting of the wheel and a confident feeling that it just didn't care about the rough terrain. It even felt like it smoothed it out considerably in a comfortable ride feel.

On the steep incline of silver mining tailings the loose material would slide easily and for a vehicle that might spin a wheel, it would slide out from under that wheel, so it's best to drive up with some momentum and not stop to try to start going again. I did the opposite. Everyone of many photographs I took going up represented a full stop and then resume going up. At no point was there indication of any slippage of any wheel as torque is distributed to each wheel individually as determined by the system computer. I even stopped in the tight tailing spot of almost no clearance and started back up again with it feeling like on tracks because it would go precisely as I steered it even in the loose tailings that could easily have a vehicle start to slide sideways should one wheel spin.

It was fun and I'll do it some more, but the main purpose of my off-roading skills development to learn the capabilities of the car and my abilities is to go to choice places for fishing, camping and outdoors recreation and physical activities for fun and adventure and eating fish!

Ronald Smile
So did you buy this vehicle or were you renting it?
[signature]
I've had it for two years now. I've posted on it with the oversized Blizzak tires that takes me to any ice fishing destination and my sand tires for driving on soft beach sand for my first surf fishing vacation still awaiting finding a surf fishing guide.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...time;mh=25

Ronald Smile
Curt,

After work and having more time, I did a search. This link is handy. It lists all of my posts on off-roading starting on 7/8/17 when I first bought the car. My reason for posting most of these posts in our fishing section rather than in off-roading is this vehicle's main purpose for me is to be able to get to even hard to reach fishing locations regardless of terrain and weather conditions. The Blizzak tires did very well in ice and snow including off-road ice and snow. I'm about to go test out my sand tires in traction challenging sand. I expect them to do very well. I have recovery straps to pull out the stuck Jeeps that follow me with thinking if my car can do it, then ... (I've posted on that, too.)

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...time;mh=25

Ronald Smile
[signature]