Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reduce line twist
Line twist sometimes happens on revolving spools with fishermen who fish chunks of bait in chumslicks, the bait spins in the current causing the line to twist. It can also occur when you don't use enough swivels on a trolling bait that spins. However the biggest victims of line twist are spinfishermen.<br>When you turn the handle on a spinning reel, the bail recovers line. however if the line is snagged or your catch is too heavy, no line is recovered. Your bail continues to spin and this causes this line to twist.<br>One way to avoid this is to let your rod do the work. Use the rod to pump up your catch or retrieve slack, then reel up the slack on the downward motion of your rod. Simple,pump then reel. If your line does twist, remove all terminal tackle and let your line out behind your boat, allow the line to untwist it self. in extreme cases replace the line.<br><br>
Yep I agree with both views and it's a good point that you have raised Neil. Can also be a real common problem for many anglers. <br><br>Bearing both points in mind, over time and by pure casting alone, line twist can develop. I also think it depends on what type of line is used as well. <br><br>I am also interested in hearing how other anglers combat this problem because I know that many spin anglers have to deal with it at some point. <br><br>Burnin Thumbs!<br><br>Steve B <br>Moderator Lures/Baits Forum<br><A HREF="http://www.demonjigs.com" target="_new">http://www.demonjigs.com</A>
As a dedicated spinfisherman, I find line twist can be easily alleviated on the water by one or two methods.<br><br>First off, if you are in a boat and you think line twist is causing some problems, take whatever lure you have on your line off and just let the line out into the water while the boat is still moving. Let out as much line as you want, but be darn sure to track a straight path with your boat. You don't want any mono in your motor. After a few minutes of steady speed, kill the engine and reel in you slack line. Believe it or not, this method works wonders, especially after fishing such lures as spoons for extended periods of time.<br><br>however, another way to alleviate the problem is to simply change your line more often. While I know not everyone can afford to change line as often as they should, I find that I change line on my spinning reels about every other trip. The reason is simple. I want to keep the freshest line on my reels as I can. With the various types of fishing I do, (Timber, rocks, brushpiles, weeds, concrete pilings etc,) knicks are bound to occur. For me, there is no excuse for a lost fish due to line breakage. It also eliminates a lot of the line twist problems I have had in the past before I started that practice.<br><br>Simple ball bearing swivels help reduce the amount of line twist, but on some lures, they are not practical as they kill the action of some lures. Its up to the angler to compromise when he can or even IF he can. Sitautions on the water often necessitate the use of specific tactics and therefore the ball bearing swivel might not be practical.<br><br>There have been numerous articles written about how to avoid line twist when spooling on fresh line, but my advice is this. To help avoid it as best as possible, maintain an even and constant pressure while spooling the line onto the reel. There are some devices on the market today that help make it easier for fisherman to do that,ranging in price from 2 dollars upwards to 30-40 dollars.<br><br>While I can't say for certain, I believe that higher priced spinning reels do much in the way of preventing line twist through superior design and components. Its an interesting question that should perhaps be posed to reel companies like Shimano. I am a huge fan of their mid to upper end reels. The Spirex, Sedona and Sahara are great midrange reels that are perfect for a wide range of conditions and actions of rods. So far, with them, my line twist problems have been kept to a minimum.<br><br>Hope that maybe answered some questions.<br><br>keep those lines wet <br><br>Daniel C. Nielsen
G'day Daniel and thanks for the outline. <br><br>Some good suggestions and I agree with your trick of running all the line (off your reel spool) out the back of the boat every now and then. We do the same down here and it works a treat.<br><br>This trick is not just for spinning reels either. We do it on baitcaster reels as well from time to time and especially with braided lines and day in day out fishing.. <br><br>Burnin Thumbs!<br><br>Steve B <br>Moderator Lures/Baits Forum<br><A HREF="http://www.demonjigs.com" target="_new">http://www.demonjigs.com</A>
Aloha Daniel, <br>This is Dan… well…<br>Capt. Dan, the Other Dan IS Dan…<br>Though, we all know we’re All Daniels…LOL<br>Or Dan’s…<br><i>Where’s Danny..?</i><br>I know a Danie, she be Quite the Looker too…<br>Maybe we could have a Dan Board..? [blush]<br>[Wink]
---I know a Danie, she be Quite the Looker too…<br>Maybe we could have a Dan Board..? ---<br>On the Danny subject...that's the name of a class of very popular big plugs we use for striped bass down around Cuttyhunk...Danny plugs & big Atoms & GooGoo eyes have been taking big bass back to the turn of the century...may need a Danny Museum before we're finished...<br><br><br><br>Jerry Vovcsko<br>Moderator: Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island Forums
greetings all "Daniels" out there from hot and muggy nebraska.<br>(yeah, I know its right next to IOWA! HAHA...just kidding there. A futile attempt at humor there)<br><br>Danny plugs for stripers?<br><br>Cool.<br><br>We have some pretty decent stripers in western nebraska, though I am positive they don't grow quite the size the sea-run stripers do. Our state record is over 60 lbs. I think 68 to be exact. <br><br>I am going to have to try that suggestions of tying the line to a rock. I am out a boat right now so I am shorebound and anything would help.<br><br>I know with my shimano reels, I carry the extra spools they came with,filled with my favorite line. In cases where line twist becomes an issue, i usually switch the spools and take care of the other spool later. Nice to have those extra spools and if you have reels that come with them, by all means use them.<br><br>On the subject of line twist, anybody care to express their opinions on the lures that promote it worse than others?<br><br><br>keep those lines wet <br><br>Daniel C. Nielsen<br>http://www.nebraskafishing.com/index.html
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it seems that my request for new posters to register a username has not taken place so I will leave this up for two days.<br><br>This will be enough time to do so. If it does not happen then this post will come down. <br><br>Burnin Thumbs!<br><br>Steve B <br>Mod-Lures/Baits & Oz Boards<br><A HREF="http://www.demonjigs.com" target="_new">http://www.demonjigs.com</A>