Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boat purchase for fishing, need opinions
I am looking at boats for fly fishing small to medium lakes and the occasional trip to the Gorge, Brownlee and lower Snake River. I have narrowed it down to either the G3 Guide V16 or the Lund SSV-16. I plan to attach a 30-40hp motor as both of these boats are relatively heavy. I need help deciding which boat to get, what is your opinion?
[signature]
For this type of general boat, I would advise you to look at the Smokercraft Alaskan, and Smokercraft Alaskan Deluxe. Just go to their website and give them a look. They are about as long as the G3 V16, but much deeper and wider. Much better for the Gorge. You can put up to 40 hp on either model. [Smile]
[signature]
I have a Crestliner and love it. It's cheaper than a lund and they come with a great warranty. I bought it at Precision boats in Idaho falls and they have been exceptional with service.
[signature]
Just one small piece of advice, put the biggest legal motor allowable, it may cost a extra but i think the run time you save on the lakes easily pays off the cost especially up at the gorge. just my opinion
[signature]
Thanks for the reply, I went to their web sight but I found that both the Lund and the G3 were wider and with very similar depths. The Smokercraft Super Fisherman was a little deeper but didn't have the full width splash pan at the transom.

I have read great things about the quality of the Lund, has anyone heard good or bad about the G3?
[signature]
Yup, I am a little concerned about the 460# G3 but it can hande up to a 60hp, which for my application is too big, I think I would be fine with a 40hp (but I have zero experience to back this up). The Lund weights 350# and can take up to 40hp.
[signature]
I echo the other poster who said get more horses. I have a bassboat with a 150hp and have never once uttered I have to much motor lol. Seriously though the ability to get on and off the water quickly is a major plus especially on the bigger waters.

Blitz out
[signature]
You should look at some of the 16' and 17' bass boats [crazy] ...(aluminum bass boats)

I know what some are thinking but here is why I say this...

1 it has a deck front and rear you can stand on to work your fly rod...

2 they are stable to stand on or walk in...

3 they have an electric motor so you can sneak up on the fish...

4 easy load and unload and light weight...

5 you can rig this type of boat for any kind of fishing...

Lots to chose from...
[signature]
Hi,
Since I have a Lund SSV16 that I use for work I hope I can at least give you a few tips. The SSV is an excellent boat. Just make sure to get the 20" transom and NOT the 15". Its better to have a longer shaft motor than a short shaft when in rough water. You will not be sorry for having more transom free board especially when the waves come up. The gas tank holder under the middle seat is nice since it takes some of the weight out of the rear of the boat. The SSV is a no-nonsense fishing boat. It is tough, you can get it dirty and wash it out. It doens't have much for creature comforts, but it is an awesome boat. What do I like most about the boat? I LOVE the split rear seat on the SSV. It allows you to sit sideways which is nice when using your tiller motor so you don't have to twist your shoulders so far backward to drive. The boat I have is used very HARD for work and its been a gem. We have a 25hp two-stroke Johnson on it and with one person in it, it will move at 18mph at Bear Lake (6000') with a low pitch prop for pushing heavy weights rather than speed. Still not bad speed though. With a 35 or 40 the boat would scream.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies, all the info I can get the better.

Is it fair to say that the Lund is a bit higher quality? Or are they equals. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy the G3??

BearLakeFishGuy, would a 40 hp be too heavy and weigh down the back too much? I really think that I should try for the 40 hp based on people's inputs but I don't want a dangerous setup. Would a side console be a good addition?
[signature]
I strongly suggest that you look at the Smokercraft Big Fisherman 16'. I looked at the SSV 16', (and the G3. And several others.) and went with the Big Fish because it had the front casting deck (with chair!). That means it also has more storage. And as I found, more storage is better than less storage.

I love my Big Fish, and there's no doubt I would have regretted the SSV because of the above.

Lastly, get the 40 hp. My boat weighs 460 dry, add 240# dry for the Merc EFI 40. My boat tops out at 26.5 mph.

The 40 is NOT a dangerous setup; you'll regret choosing less hp.

If a "side console" means center of deck steering and throttle, don't do it! That's the beauty of tiller motors; you've completely cleared out the middle of your boat for actual fishing. Just wear your wrist kill-line on runs at speed on any tiller model, because that motor WILL torque hard to the max left/right if you let go of the throttle handle.

There's your reason not to buy the G3. Or the SSV. I found the Big Fish to be the best set up of the 16' bunch.

Just ask if you want to know more.
[signature]
The Smokercraft Big Fisherman 16' looks really nice, what is the price on that boat? I was sticking to the basic bench seat models to keep the price down to what the wallet will allow.
[signature]
PM'ed ya
[signature]
I was a little concerned about a 40hp because of a video I saw on youtube. This guy had the Lund SSV-16 with a 25hp and with the guy working the tiller the bow would raise very high as he slowed to a stop, almost swamping the boat. Is this common? (look it up, there is only a few hits for Lund on youtube)
[signature]
I can't believe you wrote that. Mine bow does exactly the same. But with a 20" transom, there's no swamping problem on slowdown. Plus I don't typically slow down that fast anyway.

Power trim? Hell, I need the opposite. I've got my trim pin completely out to bring the bow down.

I'd rather have that problem than plowing water though...
[signature]