Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
security issues
have you tubers been denied acess to areas due to security issues ? we bank fishermen ( landlovers and such ) have had to accept the fact that there are places we can no longer fish . how has it effected you guys ?
[signature]

Hey there lonehunter,

That's the wrong question to ask me here in Los Angeles/South Bay area. bank fishermen!? It's even crazier for tubers where the ocean is traditionally a free space within common navigational laws. There are a number of places that have been restricted not because of immediate security risk, but because authorities decided it was a hassle allowing access as they would have to cover the area.

In one harbor, the county sherrifs (in link with the locals, of course the USCG and harbor and beach department don't have a problem with access) have decided to restrict certain body contact craft (USC skul clubs are OK but they're classy ) that doesn't fit there yacht club(s) standards. They would like to get rid of the public landing too as the riff raff in their Bayliners (Bayliners are nice economical boats) tend to spoil the view of their cocktail parties on million dollar rafts.

There are also legimate restrictions but many of the areas restricted, that I know of, seem to be for convenience (looking at harbor nav charts) rather than neccessity from an immediate threat.

When the public pays for recreational facilities and an overall area is improved it's a rip to anglers to be excluded from use, especially when there are no official signs saying this and that and, just the opposite, many signs say you can have access, until the sherrif comes along.

I'm a patriot, a Viet Nam vet and, no whinner but there are areas that are too over-regulated. I don't believe that shutting up and offering no resistance to the elimination of certain hard fought-for freedoms for intangible threats is logical.

Oh ya, It hasn't effected my fishing as I simply shake my head Sadly and move on down the beach when the nice policeperson asks me. No flaming please.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]I do a lot of dam fishing (damn fishing too). Since the "heightened awareness" of 9-11, most dams have had wide areas isolated in protective zones. No boaters or even bank fishermen allowed within certain distances...by land or water. Unfortunately, some of my best fishing spots used to be along the rock riprap of some of these dams. They are great fish holding spots, especially in reservoirs where there is limited cover...man made or natural.

Like my fellow tangler, JapanRon, I respect the laws and try hard to understand and comply with them, but dang it, they can sure mess up a guy's fishing.
[signature]
Here in Utah just up Parleys Canyon is Little Dell reservoir with large bonneville cuttthroats in there. It is catch and release, but when you get one on they are fun. It is a mear five minutes from SLC, the only problem is it is a watershed for a large amount of people in the valley and it has been closed and doesnt expect to open soon due to security reasons.
[signature]
yes guys this is one we all must take in stride . [unsure]

ron , the have gots and the have nots , well you know what they say , we have nots pay less in taxes [cool] ! LOL !

i miss my favorite fastwater dam sites too , but they have left some open for our fishermen .
[signature]
Hey Ron,

Try to go to El do today (Wednesday), they put in trout and they LOVE the flies, I got 33 today, 5 on tube dudes jigs[cool] and 28+ on nymphs, dry flies and pretty much any fly you can tie on. It was WFO!![shocked][pirate][sly][Tongue][Wink]

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there dh tubinaaron,

Monday I fished Cerritos around 5 for ziltch at the little pond.

I'm going to Catalina for the WSB tomorrow (Wed) but I sure would like to hit the lake. Darn! no, Double Darn. After all, catch one WSB and you're done!

JapanRon
[signature]
Good luck on the Sea Bass ROn

Aaron
[signature]