Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapala jigs for Brown trout
I just got several rapala ice jigs in different colors and sizes. These are the first of this type of "realistic hard jig-minnow" lure I have used.

At the moment my interest is moving over to the larger brown trout in my local lakes.

Has anyone tried these winter type lures for trout in spring or summer, drop shotting down the sonar beam maybe?
Is a nightcrawler tip likely to improve their attractiveness, or ruin the action?
[signature]
I have used a really small perch pattern rapala jig that I found. I have only tried it ice fishing though. I caught tons of cutthroat trout and rainbows on that little jig. We tipped them with nightcrawlers and meal worms. Bait seemed to help, but keep the peices small. We also have luck adding Pro Cure gel scents to our jigs. I'll probably look into getting a few more next ice season. I'm sure they'd work fine for vertical jigging soft water though... I just haven't done a lot of that lately. Let us know how they work out for you. I'd definately drop shot them just to avoid losing them to brush. The sinker will allow you to keep contact with bottom while keeping your jig safely above the snags.

Again, keep us posted on your results!
[signature]
It might not be the conditions their name suggests ... but I think I should find a use for these in clear water where sunshine has driven browns down deep during the day suspended on the sonar but not easily caught.

Time will tell.
Thx - will return comment after trying them out.
[signature]
I've caught several browns on jointed shad rapala's in various colors but the silver shad minnow seems to work best on the streams near me.
[signature]