Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to pike
A buddy and I are going fishing for pike this weekend. I'm in Northern Idaho. The water temp is 40's to 50's. We have the Couer d' Alene lake or many other smaller lakes to fish. What would be my best bet for this time of the year to find some pike? Any help would be great. Thanks.
[signature]
Slow presentation, the fish our in a sluggish mood. As oon as the water warms it will be be better. Brushey ambush areas, they sit and lurk.
[signature]
Would bait and a float work or should I work the weeds?
[signature]
Live in a state that you can't use bait. Have read that minnows and the baitfish in your waters should work if its legal
[signature]
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the help.
[signature]
Tube jigs in sandy/sunny areas fished SLOW should work or minnows under a bobber.
[signature]
hey, i live in St. maries Idaho. Pike are what i primarily fish for. I have cought most of mine out of the St.maries river and cda lake. I use smelt, crank bait and mid water rapalas. seems to do the trick for me.
[signature]
try this.. get some big red and white bobbers and some cable leaders ( very inportent when bait fishing pike) ues 0/3 to 0/5 baitholder hooks.. go to the store and get a bag of ancovies fresh frozen.. put them under a bobber about 4 to 5 feet cast out and wait.. works good!
[signature]
Anchovies work fairly well but in my opinion they are no match for a live sucker minnow...if you like to bait fish most BIG fish are caught this way.

Spinnerbaits have been very effective for me this year on pike and the good ol' floating perch crank.
i agruee 100% fully on live bait works much better on pike..

but i live in Utah where i can't use live bait.[mad].. so for that reason i dont know what the law's are in some of the other states around. oh i do know like minn. Wes. Nd.Sd ya can use live bait but a lot of places here in the west it's a no no.. so the good old stand by anchovey's will allways be safe.. lol that way I'm not giveing someonen bad addvice that might get them a ticket.. [sly]..

oh btw if ya think sucker is good ya should try trout! [sly]
[signature]
Thanks for the help. I've had some luck with Tiger Muskys on spinners working the weed line on Hauser lake. The temps have gone up and the fishing has slowed down.
I'm going to start working on CDA. Can anyone tell me a good spot to start at? I've been told to look by the Cda Yacht club.
Thanks for the help.

Brad
[signature]
Try posting this on the ID board. I know of a few on there that live and fish in your area.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote scarecrow0104]A buddy and I are going fishing for pike this weekend. I'm in Northern Idaho. The water temp is 40's to 50's. We have the Couer d' Alene lake or many other smaller lakes to fish. What would be my best bet for this time of the year to find some pike? Any help would be great. Thanks.[/quote]

Hey there! I assume you have a WalMart where you live. Well, WalMart carries a nice supply of these lures that look like real fish but they are actually made of a rubbery material. I reccomend the Bluegill colored ones! They are friggin' amazing! I had 4 or more Pike on my line the other day! My only mistake was that I didn't have Cable leaders! Which translates to "I didn't bring 'The Big One' in..." Good luck friend! Try them sometime, I bet they'll work for you! Just go slow on the retrieve and you'll be in the money baby! Here are a couple of links so you'll know what to look for! I know they are made by Storm! Good stuff![Wink]

They are called WildEye Swim Shad! Just try the Bluegill ones and the Flourescent Green ones!
[url "http://www.stormlures.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=wildeye_swim_shad234&freshorsalt=Fresh&type=soft_lures"]http://www.stormlures.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=wildeye_swim_shad234&freshorsalt=Fresh&type=soft_lures[/url]
[signature]
My wife had picked up a load of Storm WildEye lures. She likes the look of them. So I'm set there. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I saw the bluegill lures at Walmart while waiting for an oil change on the car.... I have been catching some moderate sized pike (32-38 inch) trolling and lots of hammer handles pitching spinners and spinner bait. Fishing has slowed down a bit lately due in part to heat but is still nice to get out and try!!
[signature]
Well, I found a 10lbs Northern. I was fishing for bass in Fernan Lake by Coeur d' Alene, ID. The pike hit my spinner 6 or 7 feet from the boat. I was watching my bait at the time. The fun part was landing it without a net.
[signature]