Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed for a newbie...
Hello all. I'm just taking up fishing after years of... well, not fishing. I've been catching mostly small stuff, but I'd like to catch some bass or at least get some info on what I should be doing to try to catch them.

I'm fishing mostly in lakes and from shore right now. I'd love some advice on tackle and technique. As of right now, I have a crummy old spincast reel on a 5'6" rod and a spinning reel on another 5'6" rod.
[signature]
If you are looking to catch bass you may want to look into a 6.5' - 7' med action graphite rod. You can use a size 200 reel or 2000 depending on the company that makes it. I prefer to use the super lines or braided lines 10lb test. Get a few 3/0, 4/0 worm hooks and a pack of white zoom trick worms rigged weedless and throw them in the thickest cover you see. Get ready to set the hook!!
[signature]
A decent rod setup is very important. You don't have to spend a bunch of money either. Your local sports store should be able to set you up. Fishing for bass (or any species) requires the right rod, reel and line. It can get pretty involved but for a beginner a medium sized spinning reel with 10# Trilene XL on a medium weight rod should work fine.
If you can't tell by now I value the rod/line more than the bait. You can change baits but if you're limited on rods you want something that's all around. Okuma makes some good spinning rods for this.
Some of my best bass have been caught from the shore. I was forced to slow down and work an area over and over again changing baits. It would help to know what type of structure your fishing, rocks, sand, weeds, etc. to pick the right lure. Typically a stickbait (Senko, Waveworm, Salt Stick) works everywhere as well as crawdad imitations and baitfish.
Welcome to BFT by the way, looking forward to a bass fishing report.
[signature]
Seems they have covered all the basics you will need. Beginners will have better luck with senco type worms fished weightless. Welcome to the insane world of bass fishing.[Wink]
[signature]