Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happened on the trout opener
brown trout 27 inch 4.5 lbs. opener

pic to come later .

what you get
[signature]
I got a honey do list from the wife [crazy]!
I have a trout stream right across the road , talk about temtation[angelic]!
What River did you hit ?
[signature]
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9008/cat/630"][Image: DSCN0856.JPG][/url]
[center]
[font "Times New Roman"]Trout Report for Saturday April 26, 2008 [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]A sweet opener missed by most every one, I say that because in years past parking had always been an issue, I remember on the opener if you wanted to park in the parking lot you would have to arrive by 5pm on the day before the open of trout season. I can remember cars parked from the lot back out to the road and down both sides of the road for a mile in both directions. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]That has not been the case in the past few years, what with the lack in quality trout releases… this year was different, size and quantities were up from years past.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The Proud Lake Rec. area planted as fallows;[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1,100 Brown Trout 17-19 inches in the 2-3 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 90 Brown Trout 23 inches in the 5-7 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 450 Rainbow Trout 25 inches in the 4-6 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 600 Rainbow Trout 17 inches in the 2 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The Spring Mill Pond Received as fallows;[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 30 Brown Trout 17-19 inches in the 2-3 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 370 Brown Trout 23 inches in the 5-7 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 150 Rainbow Trout 25 inches in the 4-6 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 200 Rainbow Trout 17 inches in the 2 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 250 Rainbow Trout 12 inches in the 1/2 –1 Lb class[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]With the lack of anglers present this year, most anglers who bothered to show up managed to limit out shortly after midnight. I my self caught 6 but kept only one, and of the six I caught the one I kept for my dinner was one rainbow 15 inches, I had scratched my head looking at it when I got home and noticed that the fin was present, (not clipped as all released trout are) so I had accidentally kept a native or off spring from years past. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Tho’ I don’t like the idea of keeping native reproducing trout, I don’t think it mattered much due to the fact that every one was keeping every thing they pulled in… so had I released it, the trout would have gotten caught and kept by the next guy down the line….[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Weather was great, the temp at midnight was 77 degrees, with enough wind to keep the skeeteres at bay. It was still 70 at the break of dawn. Thunderstorms was in the forecast for the night, we never saw a drop of that rain nor saw a single flash of lightning. It was just a beautiful night all night long. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Aside from lots of trout getting caught we get a little excitement pre-dawn when one of the younger anglers “I figure 18-20’ come running out of the woods holding his hand and screaming for side cutters. Not many people carry heavy duty cutters I happened to have two pair, but my hands were full when he first came out pulling in a trout and trying to catch it as it flopped around on the rocks. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Once my fish was secured and in my bucket I stumbled over the bolder size rocks up to see what all the commotion was about, I found our young friend had a fly hooked in his hand, all the way though the fleshy part under his thumb near his palm. He had turned the hook though so the barb was sticking out. All he needed was something to cut the hook in half. I walked over to my box and grabbed both pair and went over and tried to cut the hook with my small side cutters, that hook was not going to budge, so I tried my other pair that was a heavy duty needle nose pliers with cutter section. It snipped right though. Then to make him feel better about the mayhem I gave him a BFT bumper sticker. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]After that, I figured I had enough excitement for one evening so I packed er up and called it a day. [/font]
[left]
[signature]
Great report and nice pic !
On the clipping , the D.N.R. isn't doing much of the idenity clips anymore due to budget cuts .
Other states are now doing volinter clipping sessions with angler groups who like to be able to identify there catch , Michigan however is rejecting this concept .
Why? Who knows !
You won't be able to tell a native fish from a farmed fish in the future .

I hooked myself a few times this spring , luckely it was so cold I couldn't feel any pain thru the numbness .
[signature]
I have a couple more pics of trout from the following weekend, and the final last fishing pic from my fishing buddie.[frown]

later, not today......
[signature]
Really sorry to hear the news Dave , Wolfdog will be missed .
[signature]
I was in Grand Rapids in March doing a sports show. Hardcore Fishing And Adventures was my booth. I told guys about the Brook trout fishing in Nipigon, Ontario. Last week we caught 20 Brookies over 2 days all between 17 and 24 inches. Giddy up!!!!!!
[Image: P5060184_01.JPG]
[Image: P5070194_01.JPG]
[Image: P5060177_01.JPG]
[Image: P5060181_01.JPG]
[signature]
I pulled this guy (Broun Trout )out of the Cedar River today , Then spent another 4 hours doing some catch and release . Total of 16 Browns and a dozen suckers were landed .
[signature]
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9349/cat/630"][Image: DSCN0867.JPG][/url]
[center]
[center]her last trip.
[center]Saturday May 3 2008
[center]passed Fryday may 9th 11:55 Pm
[center]
[center]would have posted sooner, but kept getting choked up in the libary.... Didnt want some one thinking the wrong thing.
[center]
[center]
[signature]