Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling motor
I have 2002 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750. What would be a good size trolling motor?
[signature]
I like to consider a couple things. First is the weight of the engine. if you are looking at a four stroke, you are going to be heavier than a two stroke. This can cause the boat to ride on its side rather than level. So, if you are looking for a four stroke, you may want to downsize horsepower to relieve the weight on that side of the boat.

next is the width of the boat and speed you want to troll. If you have a real wide boat that expiriences lots of water resisence, you may want more power. Also if you fish a big open lake that gets wind and waves and need to troll at 3-5 mph you may want the horsepower for boat control and to get up to speed.

I use a 15 hp two stroke on a 21 ft deep v that is 96 inches wide. Its top speed is 5 mph. But the power is nice when its rough out and the wind is trying to blow you all over the place.

You really need to match the engine to the boat and the type of fishing you are doing to be completely satisfied with it.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Welcome to Big Fish. I don’t know much about trolling motor just from my experiences with them. A lot of things has to be consider like the weight of the boat and are you going to be fishing in a lot of current. I would go with around a 50 lbs thrust. Most motors have variable speeds so you can used the low speeds for fishing and if the wind is blowing you can used the high speeds. I have a 36 lb thrust foot control on my 16 foot boat. If the wind is blowing it won't move, it just holds it’s own. Foot control or hand control, it’s just what you want and how much you want to spend. I like and have both on different boats I have. Foot control is better if you are doing a lot of casting. I like hand control for crappie fishing. Hope this help you a little. Once again Welcome and if I can help you in anyway just ask.[/size][/font]
[signature]