Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen Anglers from Orange County High School Learn Competition Is Fun
The boat creaks. A soft June wind ruffles the young angler's hair. Girls giggle and boys roughhouse. There is a competition going on, but those who do the competing are still having fun to the point that the competition is one of the best parts of the trip.

The students at Orange County High School have had an Angling Club for several years now. It's a real sport; kids can get a lettered jacket and must maintain good grades to play. It's a true intramural sport, one where the girls don't just participate in some token way - they stand as good a chance of winning as the boys.

The founder of this program is a dedicated teacher named Rebecca Gore, who started the program "so I could have someone to fish with on the weekends." Her desire is more than satisfied, the Angling Club has grown to a considerable size, with over 50 students and adult mentors. Rebecca is quick to point out that the Club is about more than landing a fat bass, though that's fun too; it's about learning life skills like patience, persistence and teamwork. She maintains that the program works; that her kids develop great character and drive. Her opinion is born out by the fact that her kids win tournaments -- some world class. And when I talked to the team members, I was impressed by their intelligence, politeness and knowledge of their sport. While they all mentioned competing as one of their favorite parts of the Club, I got the impression that this was friendly, not cutthroat, competition. They were being, as Ms. Gore puts it, "pointed in the right direction"; and their behavior and characters bode well for the future.<br />
Another key element of the Team is that it takes the kids outdoors and makes conservationists out of them. The team spends time volunteering to help clean up and maintain fishing sites. And, as every angler knows, just spending time fishing makes one care about the future of our wild places. The team has received numerous awards for their service including "National Outstanding Jr. B.A.S.S. Federation - Nation Chapter". Let's hope that more kids get "hooked" on saving the environment. Ms. Gore is more than happy to help anyone set up a fishing club at their school or organization. To contact her, call (540) 661-4300 or email her at iteach72@yahoo.com.

The Orange County High School Angler's Club is sponsoring the 4th Annual Orange County High Sportsman Expo at the OCHS Hornets Sports Center, Orange Saturday and Sunday March 1-2, 2008. There are exhibitors, guides, fishing supply vendors, organizations and lots to see and do. For information contact bgore@ocss-va.org, or visit the Team's Web site.